PM&R Interest Group Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsMed09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this doesn't fall in line with the usual posts, but I felt like posting this nonetheless. I'm an MS3 who just revived the PM&R Interest Group at my school: I have funding set up, a new constitution, officers, and a willing sponsor who's eager to help. Since this JUST occurred, I have not yet had the opportunity to recruit. I realize sending mass emails and setting up flyers, as well as talking to younger classes will help. But mainly I was wondering what types of activities to do for the early meetings? We don't have a rehab department at my school which does complicate things a bit.
My thought on that was that I should do something rehab specific, something to help us stand out. While having an orthopedic surgeon or neurologist come by to show us physical exam stuff would be great, doing that early on wouldn't distinguish us from the Neuro or Ortho interest groups. I will talk to to our sponsor about this, and I have already PMed one MS on this forum asking for their advice, but I wanted to get feedback from other med students, residents, fellows, and attendings on what types of activities would be beneficial and cool for those who don't know about rehab to see, get interested, and spread the word to their friends to engender more interest in the interest group and overall the specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

First activity should be an informational overview of PM&R (preferrably from a practicing Physiatrist), past-present and future. Do it at a time when alot of people will already be present, e.g. lunch-lecture, and bring free food.

Specific activities/exposure can be planned later for those who stick-around/sign-up.

if you tell me where you are located then I can help you find speakers in the area.

You can go to aapmr.org and click on "medical students" and search on the mentor database for physiatrists in the area.

You could also work with AMSA on some of their disability related activities.

Look up alums from your med school who went into PM&R and see if they would be willing to come back to talk to students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a med student in Kansas City, at the University of Missouri Kansas City. The only mentor listed for Kansas City is Linda Ladesich at KU, who I spoke with in trying to coordinate our interest group with KU's (we don't have a rehab department at UMKC). I felt though, that it would be better to establish our own schedule and speakers so our group would be self sufficient. I also spoke to one alum who is an attending at Mizzou's program who stated she was willing to give a talk. I like the idea of having the first meeting as an overview, to find out who will be our permanent younger members.

Call up the your local residency program and talk to the program coordinator. They could probably send their chief resident over.

Our past pain fellow Dr. Jim McLean would have been perfect for this but unfortunately, he just passed away.

Their current residents and their contact emails are listed here: http://www.kumc.edu/pmr/residents.htm

I can also pm you the list of Kansas City physiatrists from the AAPM&R membership directory should you need it. I also have friends at Mizzou. Try pm-ing Whirly.

I'm a med student member of the AAPM&R, so I have access to the member directory. My goal for contacting these people would be to have in mind a specific objective for each meeting, then saying, which one of these people would be the best to talk/teach/demonstrate this to us? From looking at the number of physiatrists in Kansas City and Columbia there are plenty of people to ask, but I would rather have a purpose for calling one or more physiatrists to come to our meeting.

I'm a med student member of the AAPM&R, so I have access to the member directory. My goal for contacting these people would be to have in mind a specific objective for each meeting, then saying, which one of these people would be the best to talk/teach/demonstrate this to us? From looking at the number of physiatrists in Kansas City and Columbia there are plenty of people to ask, but I would rather have a purpose for calling one or more physiatrists to come to our meeting.

Go to the website at KUMC for PMR. Find Raelene Knolla in the PGY-3 class link. Email here. She is my friend, tell Dan from RIC sent u, she will help u. Gl

NF