You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
PM&R Oral Boards: How to prepare?
Started by Ligament
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I would recommend the Archives of PM&R Study Guides. They have good cases/vignettes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I used Choi, Cucurillo, and a 28 hour review that was burned into MP3 format on 3 CD's that I could listen to in my car. THe review was very good, but I have no idea who recorded it or what review course it was based on. Contact my fellows for their opinions.
any idea where I can get those CDs?
Me too! I'd happily pay.
PM me for more info. Due to the requests, my office will be able to get a few of these 3 CD sets burned and shipped before next week.
Again , PM me for more more info.
Again , PM me for more more info.
deleted message
Mehul- in the mail
All others- going out Saturday morning.
Thanks guys. Any problems- call me.
All others- going out Saturday morning.
Thanks guys. Any problems- call me.
Thank YOU Steve
Mehul- in the mail
All others- going out Saturday morning.
Thanks guys. Any problems- call me.
Thank you Steve for the CDs.
Anybody else have any study tips? I'm going through the AAPM&R Study Guides and they are pretty good so far. They are written in a clinical format which seems very relevant to the oral exams. I'm going to supplement with Pocketpedia and Steve's CDs.
Anybody else have any study tips? I'm going through the AAPM&R Study Guides and they are pretty good so far. They are written in a clinical format which seems very relevant to the oral exams. I'm going to supplement with Pocketpedia and Steve's CDs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I ran across bbbmd and Mehul at the orals. Dave Russo did not spot you. Nice seeing you guys. I think reading the AAPM&R study guides was very high yield for me.
I was in stealth mode....
Agree with study guides being high yield.
Agree with study guides being high yield.
Having finished the orals, some things that helped me in prep:
- working with residents as much as possible. They kept me on my toes and made review things that would have left my brain otherwise
- playing the same CD that was in my car during the week of the Kessler review course last year. Helped passively trigger some memories
- reviewing my notes from the Kessler review course. I found this much higher yield for me than either Cuccarullo, Choi, or the study guides. I think the Kessler review course is very good for the written boards, but I think it was GREAT for the oral boards. I am glad I kept the notes
- Reading my notebook of high yield facts that I kept during residency and for studying for the written boards
- Reading the study guides. Actually reading study guides, and not just the questions, helped
- Drinking a few beers in the days preceding to the exam
- While waiting in the orientation area for an hour for the exam to start, finding some friends to just joke around with to keep me in a good mood before i got called in
Overall, I thought it was an ok experience, and ultimtely a pretty fair test (that is assuming I passed. If I failed, then it was the worst written test since the football quiz at the end of the movie "Diner.")
- working with residents as much as possible. They kept me on my toes and made review things that would have left my brain otherwise
- playing the same CD that was in my car during the week of the Kessler review course last year. Helped passively trigger some memories
- reviewing my notes from the Kessler review course. I found this much higher yield for me than either Cuccarullo, Choi, or the study guides. I think the Kessler review course is very good for the written boards, but I think it was GREAT for the oral boards. I am glad I kept the notes
- Reading my notebook of high yield facts that I kept during residency and for studying for the written boards
- Reading the study guides. Actually reading study guides, and not just the questions, helped
- Drinking a few beers in the days preceding to the exam
- While waiting in the orientation area for an hour for the exam to start, finding some friends to just joke around with to keep me in a good mood before i got called in
Overall, I thought it was an ok experience, and ultimtely a pretty fair test (that is assuming I passed. If I failed, then it was the worst written test since the football quiz at the end of the movie "Diner.")
FYI- oral boards results are now availabe on the abpmr website.
Good luck!
Thanks,
I thought I did not do very well,
but thanks god and those 3 physiatrists!
😀
Hi
How can I get the 3 CDs. This is a great idea.
PM me please Iam desperate as well!!!
ryan
How can I get the 3 CDs. This is a great idea.
PM me please Iam desperate as well!!!
ryan
I used Choi, Cucurillo, and a 28 hour review that was burned into MP3 format on 3 CD's that I could listen to in my car. THe review was very good, but I have no idea who recorded it or what review course it was based on. Contact my fellows for their opinions.
So I passed the written, oral, and Pan Medicine boards!
My advice is to use the Archives of PM&R study guides as your most important study reference for the oral boards. If I had studied only those, I would have been ready to pass. I also used Choi's pocketpedia a little bit, but in hindsight I probably did not need it. I probably should have spent more time on the study guides.
The nice things about the study guides is they pretty closely simulate the oral boards in content and purpose.
My advice is to use the Archives of PM&R study guides as your most important study reference for the oral boards. If I had studied only those, I would have been ready to pass. I also used Choi's pocketpedia a little bit, but in hindsight I probably did not need it. I probably should have spent more time on the study guides.
The nice things about the study guides is they pretty closely simulate the oral boards in content and purpose.
would it be possible for someone to please make copies of those 3 CDs and mail them to me too so I may share in the knowledge as well? THANKS!
PM me if interested.
These were the kind of questions I had:
3 rooms, each with one doc, got the idea the questions were fairly standardized. I think it was about 45 min each.
I can't remember what I was asked at the other room.
Thank you for violating ABPMR policy on examination and posting it on the internet. I suggest a MODERATOR get this taken down IMMEDIATELY.
PMR 4 MSK, hope the board does not see this before it is removed. You can get a fail, discipline, or declared ineligible for future examination.
NOT SMART.
You signed a waiver of nondisclosure when sitting for the exam. YES, YOU DID!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for violating ABPMR policy on examination and posting it on the internet. I suggest a MODERATOR get this taken down IMMEDIATELY.
PMR 4 MSK, hope the board does not see this before it is removed. You can get a fail, discipline, or declared ineligible for future examination.
NOT SMART.
You signed a waiver of nondisclosure when sitting for the exam. YES, YOU DID!
Done. Steve is right: Careful, careful, careful.
You can only describe in the MOST GENERAL TERMS the process and not the CONTENT of the examination. Do not tempt anyone at the ABPMR to make an example of out you!
Please be more careful.
For the most accurate and factual information regarding the board examination process please refer to the ABPMR website www.abpmr.org
I'm a Pain Fellow currently and looking to study for PMR oral boards. I would really like to have a copy of those CD's if possible.
Has anyone used, 'Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Review' by Robert Kaplan?
Has anyone used, 'Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Review' by Robert Kaplan?
Alright, there has been so much talk about these CDs. Are they still available? Could anyone send me copies?
Lots of people are PM'ing me for copies of the CD's
I am not a vendor or Donor.
PM me for more info.
I am not a vendor or Donor.
PM me for more info.
Hi, After reading all of these replies for these oral cds, I am thinking they may be helpful. How can I go about ordering them from you?
I am new to this, how do I PM?
Thanks!😳
I am not a vendor or Donor.
PM me for more info.[/quote]
I am new to this, how do I PM?
Thanks!😳
I am not a vendor or Donor.
PM me for more info.[/quote]
I just realised that you can't explain how to PM on the site because of the spam. So then how do I contact you?
Left click on my name above and a drop down box appears with a PM option.
PM only works when enabled. Try the same thing and email me.
Does anyone else that has the cds willing to share them with me? so that I dont need to annoy steve
Thank you for violating ABPMR policy on examination and posting it on the internet. I suggest a MODERATOR get this taken down IMMEDIATELY.
PMR 4 MSK, hope the board does not see this before it is removed. You can get a fail, discipline, or declared ineligible for future examination.
NOT SMART.
You signed a waiver of nondisclosure when sitting for the exam. YES, YOU DID!
WOW.. I wonder when you posted this.. did you realize that you were just copying what PMR 4 had written and that this is still up, even though the mod took the original post down?
I think you just propagated the issue you warned him about. I guess it would have been wiser to PM, PMR 4 and a mod, instead of just basically re-posting it.
Just something for people to think about next time they see something that should be taken down!
Also, just being curious.. was this format new, a secret, etc? Seems like what was said was fairly benign.
WOW.. I wonder when you posted this.. did you realize that you were just copying what PMR 4 had written and that this is still up, even though the mod took the original post down?
I think you just propagated the issue you warned him about. I guess it would have been wiser to PM, PMR 4 and a mod, instead of just basically re-posting it.
Just something for people to think about next time they see something that should be taken down!
Also, just being curious.. was this format new, a secret, etc? Seems like what was said was fairly benign.
If you look at my quote: I omitted the clinical data. Discussing the format is appropriate. It's on page 3 of the board handout.
https://www.abpmr.org/certification/part2/documents/InfoforCandidates2008.pdf
Just worry about getting through medical school first.😱
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you look at my quote: I omitted the clinical data. Discussing the format is appropriate. It's on page 3 of the board handout.
https://www.abpmr.org/certification/part2/documents/InfoforCandidates2008.pdf
Just worry about getting through medical school first.😱
I apologize since I didn't see the original post, my fault. Sorry if you took it personally.
I do understand the board set-up because my cousin recently took them.
As for getting through medical school.. that is the least of my worries, I am doing med school, a MBA, running a business, doing SCI research and raising a family..school is the easy part...finding time to post on here.. that is my top priority..lol..
Hi,
I am interested in the CD's for the PM&R oral boards. Thanks.
Andy
Yeah, me too!
To rehab_sports_dr and everyone else who posted on this thread:
Thanks for the tips and words of wisdom. I'd love to hear what
anyone has to say in terms of what was useful for studying for
the oral boards. I'm definitely sold on the idea of digging into
Archive study guides, but anything else that was helpful?
Thanks for the tips and words of wisdom. I'd love to hear what
anyone has to say in terms of what was useful for studying for
the oral boards. I'm definitely sold on the idea of digging into
Archive study guides, but anything else that was helpful?
I think the most important thing is to find someone to TALK cases through with - to get into the habit of organizing your thoughts, asking appropriate questions, and being able to concisely convey your knowledge. In this age of skype, you should be able to find someone to do this with.
Best thing to do is to think of possible cases and talk through the major points to cover during the case. oral boards is less picky than the written boards. A lot of big picture stuff - it's the nerves/anxiety that make ppl forget to ask specific questions - i.e. family history. My study partner and I just went through all the chapters/subtopics in Cuccurullo in addition to the study guides.
remember to role play even though it feels silly. ask the other person how u come across. they look for subtle things like body language and eye contact to assess how empathic you are or how you communicate.
ethics - always choose the least controversial thing to do and don't choose the most extreme thing - i.e. very paternalistic or very permissive.
It's really a lot better than it used to be - less pimping, no need to be able to quote a bunch of articles (although familiarity with some of the more famous research can help), etc.
oh, and get used to the minnesota accent - a lot of the examiners were from mayo - and the min-ne-SOO-ta accent can throw you off
Best thing to do is to think of possible cases and talk through the major points to cover during the case. oral boards is less picky than the written boards. A lot of big picture stuff - it's the nerves/anxiety that make ppl forget to ask specific questions - i.e. family history. My study partner and I just went through all the chapters/subtopics in Cuccurullo in addition to the study guides.
remember to role play even though it feels silly. ask the other person how u come across. they look for subtle things like body language and eye contact to assess how empathic you are or how you communicate.
ethics - always choose the least controversial thing to do and don't choose the most extreme thing - i.e. very paternalistic or very permissive.
It's really a lot better than it used to be - less pimping, no need to be able to quote a bunch of articles (although familiarity with some of the more famous research can help), etc.
oh, and get used to the minnesota accent - a lot of the examiners were from mayo - and the min-ne-SOO-ta accent can throw you off

Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K
