PM&R Programs in NY, NJ, Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious to know which of these programs are among the elite, which are average, and which are the easiest/low-tier schools? I am planning on applying this upcoming cycle and would like to know based on previous experiences. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Jefferson, Temple/MossRehab and UMDNJ/Kessler are all great programs. Don't know as much about NYC programs... but when I applied 5 years ago I thought Columbia/Cornell and Mt.Sinai were the better ones... could have changed since then though

Honestly being out of residency for so many years I can tell you unless you have a gross underexposure to a certain aspect of the field, i.e. you won't pass yoru boards.. where you go to residency doesn't matter that much.

There, I said it, on SDN. The site that is all about the match etc.

Just like where you went to college does not guarantee success or failure its the same for residency. Its all about how hard you work and how much passion you have for your field. If it makes a huge difference to you to be able to got X ranked program (which btw are all formulated on faulty US news rankings) then by all means go for it.

But your MOST important thing you need to do is find a GOOD FIT for you personally in a resident program. For example.. do I like small program vs big program? What are the strengths of the program (read different than elite vs non elite overall, as some good programs are bad in certain areas)? Are the attendigns good teachers? Do the residents seem happy? Am I overworked or worked enough to learn and have time to study? Do I like the city / area?

In the end getting a good job doesn't really matter where you came from. Hell, your first job is nowadays your second training cycle anyways... its more important what your second or third jobs are really in terms of the financial aspect.

Disclaimer: i went to a so-called top 5 program in PM&R at the time. I feel absolutely no different than any other decent physiatrist from any other program.

I've been an oral board examiner and have seen dummies and brilliant ones from all the programs.