PM&R Recap for boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Anyone use PM&R recap and have already taken the boards? It seems to be more distilled than Cucurrullo (a beast to read cover to cover), but is it sufficient as a stand-alone review (with use of practice questions) for studying?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I read Cucurullo once through PGY1-3 (and highlighted/notes) then ~1.5 times as a PGY4 plus the AAPMR question bank. Did very well on exam, but I learn from reading as opposed to lecture/audio. Not much of a way around putting in the time to reading the material in my opinion.

Question banks will give you great idea of how far along you are and are critical regardless of how you study otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
I read Cucurullo once through PGY1-3 (and highlighted/notes) then ~1.5 times as a PGY4 plus the AAPMR question bank. Did very well on exam, but I learn from reading as opposed to lecture/audio. Not much of a way around putting in the time to reading the material in my opinion.

Question banks will give you great idea of how far along you are and are critical regardless of how you study otherwise.
Did you just use the AAPMR qbank or are there others you would recommend too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used PMR recap and thought it was great. The online videos are a good supplement to cucurello and better than some of the other ones I have seen. The qbank was ok but I would suggest getting the one from AAPMR.

There was a Board Vitals (maybe?) that we used as group that wasn't great, but something to use early in studying. AAPMR was best Q bank that I used.

I used PMR recap and thought it was great. The online videos are a good supplement to cucurello and better than some of the other ones I have seen. The qbank was ok but I would suggest getting the one from AAPMR.so

I used PMR recap and thought it was great. The online videos are a good supplement to cucurello and better than some of the other ones I have seen. The qbank was ok but I would suggest getting the one from AAPMR.
Sounds like it was a secondary reference, and you still just put in the time with Cucurrullo, right? How long was your study period? TIA!

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a secondary reference, and you still just put in the time with Cucurrullo, right? How long was your study period? TIA!
My study plan started about 9 months before boards, as many have said, cant cram for it. First 6 months I dedicated 8 hrs a week to study doing a 4hr session each weekend when I was not on call and skipping weekends on call. 3 months before boards I ramped it up. The first 2 of those months I did the 4hr each weekend day except call, but also added in 1-1 1/2 hr every day as soon as I got off work before I went home. I found once I was home I would not study with family and other distractions. Another co resident of mine did similar but instead got up early every morning for same amount. I am not an early riser so couldnt do that. Then 1 month before boards I really ramped it up, No call that month and I took the 2 weeks before boards off work. Each Saturday I took a "mock" test, by that I did 325 questions. Then on sunday I would study about 8 hours and hit the all the things I guessed and got right or got wrong the day before. Weeknights I worked I studied about 2-3 hours depending on topic. Then the 2 weeks before each day 8 hours study. By this time I knew a lot of my weakness so I had the 2 week period planned out with what I was hitting. Sunday before the test just relaxed, at this point you should be ready so just take a break and make sure you are mentally prepared.

Many will say read a textbook like Braddom, I just cant sit and read it. But what I did do while studying and doing the AAPMR questions was constantly look up the answers in textbooks like braddom's and read the sections that way. I didnt read the whole thing but I got a lot. Cucurrulo was definitely the book I read the most. I would do questions both before and after reading sections. My copy of cucurrulo is marked up with highlights, notes, Corrections(yes there are some things wrong in it). I found the pmrrecap site much later, but his lectures are really good after reading Cucurrulo to help cement it. PM me with any specific questions although I dont always check this site in timely fashion

Cucurrulo may seem like a beast as original poster said, but if you think about it you really should try to cover all of it. It is 1 book trying to distill down 3 years of residency training and multiple textbooks.

I am a current 4th year so I haven’t taken boards yet. But I am using PM&R Recap currently. I like it a lot and the videos are very #highyield. They are a similar style to the Pathoma videos. Haven’t started the questions yet so I can’t comment on that part.

Asking for a friend: Needing a study partner for rehab medicine boards. Thoughts?

What kind of raw percentage is needed to pass?
I've tried to find some info on this and couldn't find anything. The only thing I could find was that last year there was a 95.8% pass rate for first time test takers per the ABPMR website. And I pray to God that I am in the 95% come 2 weeks from now.