PM&R residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroAP86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently an M3 at a DO school and trying to map out the next 2 years as PM&R has been my choice for a long time and now that I got my score back, I'm 150% certain that this is what I want to do with my life.

I got a 225 on USMLE and was looking at the variety of programs available in the Chicago-area as I am from there. I didn't have much extracurriculars throughout medical school and didn't have enough time for research, does this put me at a disadvantage for some of the more competitive programs? My top choices right now are Rush and UIC but I would love to go to Northwestern or U of C if possible. Any feedback as to what I should be doing with this year to further my application and which of those programs are out of reach for me.

Follow up question:
I would like to do either a fellowship in spine or pain management. Is it true that pain management is very competitive and most of the time these spots go to anesthesiologists?

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely try to set up some audition rotations at this point. Research is not a MUST in PM&R to get into residency. Also, make sure to get some solid outpatient and inpatient experience so that you can write a strong personal statement.

Hi guys,

I'm currently an M3 at a DO school and trying to map out the next 2 years as PM&R has been my choice for a long time and now that I got my score back, I'm 150% certain that this is what I want to do with my life.

I got a 225 on USMLE and was looking at the variety of programs available in the Chicago-area as I am from there. I didn't have much extracurriculars throughout medical school and didn't have enough time for research, does this put me at a disadvantage for some of the more competitive programs? My top choices right now are Rush and UIC but I would love to go to Northwestern or U of C if possible. Any feedback as to what I should be doing with this year to further my application and which of those programs are out of reach for me.

Follow up question:
I would like to do either a fellowship in spine or pain management. Is it true that pain management is very competitive and most of the time these spots go to anesthesiologists?

Re fellowships- interventional spine or sports/spine are pretty much all PM&R-run. These can provide fantastic training but generally do not lead to any additional sub-specialty board certification. As for AGCME-accredited pain fellowships.... yes it is easier to obtain a spot from an anesthesia background, though solid PM&R applicants who perform their due diligence have a good chance at securing a spot. The topic of agcme sports vs. sports/spine vs. agcme pain is another entire conversation that you don't have to worry about at this stage in the game if you know you like PM&R in general.

Start setting up your 4th year elective/audition rotations during the middle of ms3. If you are allowed to do an elective as an ms3, by all means go for it, but it may have to be at a private practice or community hospital, as most of the academic programs don't allow ms3's

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Follow up question:

I think if you are interested in matching within a particular area, it behooves you to apply to all of the programs within that area, even if you think they are "reaches" for you.

The other advice mentioned above about getting in good experience in both inpatient and outpatient PM&R experience as an MS4 is solid. If you can do 2 PM&R rotations in summer/early fall of MS4 you should have enough time to get letters of recommendation; furthermore, if you do these rotations at programs where you want to match, it gives you a chance to show off your strengths and enthusiasm.

There are some summer externship experiences available for students interested in doing PM&R research, and this would be a great bonus on your application. More important, as others have mentioned, is that you have a good sense of what the field is about as you will constantly be asked "What do you like about PM&R?"

Apart from those programs you mentioned, I would encourage you to apply broadly. PM&R is growing quickly, programs are getting stronger year after year, but so is the applicant pool.

Don't let your past experiences stop you from applying anywhere, as no program looks for the same exact traits in their residents. The safest bet you can make is applying broadly, interviewing and seeing what the programs are about, and then deciding where you really want to be.

Good luck!

Thank for all the responses!

As of now, I have July-September and Nov-December open for elective months so I'm thinking of using those late summer months to do my PM&R rotations preferably at one of those top choices. The only thing that worries me a bit is if some of those are a reach for me such as Northwestern and I pay there $1200 charge for doing a 1 month rotation and it doesn't work out in the end.

I also shadowed 2 different PM&R physicians during my MS1 and MS2 years so I've had some exposure and this is what initially sparked my interest in the specialty.

posted this before, but got no response... can someone please share their opinions/comments

What is the consensus on the program at Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center? I know it is a low(er)-tier program but do residents generally get (ACGME-accredited) fellowships? The program underwent change in leadership that may move the program in a better direction. Input would be appreciated.