GamerTheRock

5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Guys,

How are you? I'm an MS4 I applied to PM&R and Radiology. I'm really having difficulty coming down to which specialty I should go towards. Looking for some sort of direction to make my decision a little bit easier. I would like to know the following :

1 -What you think the future for the field holds?

2 -How hard is it to get a pain fellowship? - I enjoy doing procedures

3- What type of field can you end up working in after you complete your training? ( inpatient, outpatient, rehab, etc ) .. FLEXIBILITY (Life/work). ?

4- What is the average compensation like? - I am from the tri-state east coast

6 - Something you could change about the field or don't enjoy?

Thank you, Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Reactions: Surgeontodd94

timisdaman

Awesome
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
It's easy. Do you like interacting with people? If yes, PM&R. If no, radiology. Don't worry about the other stuff.

About the Ads
Jan 3, 2019
Hey Guys,

How are you? I'm an MS4 I applied to PM&R and Radiology. I'm really having difficulty coming down to which specialty I should go towards. Looking for some sort of direction to make my decision a little bit easier. I would like to know the following :

1 -What you think the future for the field holds?

2 -How hard is it to get a pain fellowship? - I enjoy doing procedures

3- What type of field can you end up working in after you complete your training? ( inpatient, outpatient, rehab, etc ) .. FLEXIBILITY (Life/work). ?

4- What is the average compensation like? - I am from the tri-state east coast

6 - Something you could change about the field or don't enjoy?

Thank you, Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
I made the change from Rads to PM&R. I hated Rads once in it - maybe hate is too strong of a word, but disliked it. Rads has gone 24/7, with weekends, nights, etc. Also lots of volume - studies keep coming particularly with midlevels not knowing much and ordering whole body imaging to rule out everything. Procedures - mostly in IR. IR is brutally hard to get into. Compensation for general rads is higher than PM&R but obviously a lot more work. If you work hard in some instanes in PM&R you can get close ish to it but still - it tends to be harder to get similar income.

In terms of Pain - getting into pain fellowship is hard although probably not as hard as IR. With PM&R except in certain saturated markets, you can still do procedures in general practices but of course the pay tends to be lower than if you did pain/IR.

It ultimately comes down to what do you want to do - see patietns daily, do some procedures, possibly inpatient, vs read studies all day? IR also can potentially be challenging in terms of hours - if someone needs an emergent whatever procedure at 3am, you might be called in. You will never go in for an emergent SIJ injection. :)

Personal choice. Good luck!

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
www.med.navy.mil
You will never go in for an emergent SIJ injection. :)
But you will get called by phone triage at midnight because Miss Jones, who has no radiographic low back abnormalities, need an emergent Lortab prescription. :)

Reactions: Splenda88
Jan 3, 2019
But you will get called by phone triage at midnight because Miss Jones, who has no radiographic low back abnormalities, need an emergent Lortab prescription. :)
[/QUOTE

Haha, yes but at least you can order that by phone . I recently got a call while on call at like 1plus in the morning for a prelim microbiology that had been posted 2 days prior for a common bug. Nurse is like - doc you want to do something about it? Ugh.

About the Ads