Pm&r

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into PM&R and I was just wondering how competitive this specialty is. Would it be harder to get into this specialty as a DO instead of an MD? And how long will it take to be a full fledged PM&R?

Members don't see this ad.

Not that it matters at this point, but it isn't very competitive at all. Being a DO will not hurt you in any way with this speciality. There are TONS of DOs in it. The best residencies in the US seem to all have DOs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The average board scores for PM&R spots are slightly below the national average for the USMLE. It isn't very competitive largely because no one really knows much about the specialty - many med students don't ever get exposure to PM&R in school.

It would be hard to believe that DO's with more training in the musculoskeletal system would have a harder time matching than MD's, especially since its an inherently less competitive match to begin with.

Timeline: 4 years of medical school + 4 years of PM&R residency (the first year is a more general medicine intern year I think)