Is not being keen on primary care a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neuro Spartan D.O.

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in my personal statement I talk about my interest in neurology and PM&R, due to being helped out so much in my life by these doctors, and how I think the mindset of a DO and OMM training can be a great asset for these specialties. I do not say these are the only specialties I am considering but rather mention how much these interest me.

Do you think not mentioning primary care or being interested in it is a red flag for DO schools?
 
So in my personal statement I talk about my interest in neurology and PM&R, due to being helped out so much in my life by these doctors, and how I think the mindset of a DO and OMM training can be a great asset for these specialties. I do not say these are the only specialties I am considering but rather mention how much these interest me.

Do you think not mentioning primary care or being interested in it is a red flag for DO schools?
Nah they know that not everyone wants to do primary care. The fact that you mentioned how you think OMM and being a DO as being beneficial will really help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So in my personal statement I talk about my interest in neurology and PM&R, due to being helped out so much in my life by these doctors, and how I think the mindset of a DO and OMM training can be a great asset for these specialties. I do not say these are the only specialties I am considering but rather mention how much these interest me.

Do you think not mentioning primary care or being interested in it is a red flag for DO schools?
Nope. Just keep an open mind. BTW, PN&R loves DOs.
 
Something like 40-50% of current DO students enter a non primary care specialty... this is a non issue.
 
So in my personal statement I talk about my interest in neurology and PM&R, due to being helped out so much in my life by these doctors, and how I think the mindset of a DO and OMM training can be a great asset for these specialties. I do not say these are the only specialties I am considering but rather mention how much these interest me.

Do you think not mentioning primary care or being interested in it is a red flag for DO schools?
Stop trying to become the cookie cutter you think schools want and instead just put your best foot forward of who you are. PMR is a very DO friendly field