Is not being keen on primary care a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in my personal statement I talk about my interest in neurology and PM&R, due to being helped out so much in my life by these doctors, and how I think the mindset of a DO and OMM training can be a great asset for these specialties. I do not say these are the only specialties I am considering but rather mention how much these interest me.

Do you think not mentioning primary care or being interested in it is a red flag for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

So in my personal statement I talk about my interest in neurology and PM&R, due to being helped out so much in my life by these doctors, and how I think the mindset of a DO and OMM training can be a great asset for these specialties. I do not say these are the only specialties I am considering but rather mention how much these interest me.

Do you think not mentioning primary care or being interested in it is a red flag for DO schools?
Nah they know that not everyone wants to do primary care. The fact that you mentioned how you think OMM and being a DO as being beneficial will really help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Nope. Just keep an open mind. BTW, PN&R loves DOs.

Reactions: 1 users
Something like 40-50% of current DO students enter a non primary care specialty... this is a non issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Stop trying to become the cookie cutter you think schools want and instead just put your best foot forward of who you are. PMR is a very DO friendly field

• Love
Reactions: 1 users