PNWU vs. ICOM vs. WesternU-lebanon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMeister

Reaction score
Hey all,

Really looking for some insight here on the make-or-break’s of these schools for a couple different people.

I already know which way I lean, and I can weigh my non-med influences like family/SO location pretty well, but I’d like to hear what other people would choose and why.

P.S. If you would choose one of these schools for explicitly non-med/family/SO reasons, you don’t need to reply :p

Members don't see this ad.

PNWU and COMP-NW are comparable schools.

Would not recommend ICOM. Read this post for details -

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
At this point I think I've excluded ICOM from my consideration. While the facility was really nice and Meridian had a nice vibe/COL, I really felt like there were too many unresolved potential issues facing current and future students. It would also separate me from my family/SO the most and would be a headache to move to.

So if anyone else could chime in between PNWU and WesternU-Lebanon, that would be great. A little more information: I was treated in a very friendly manner at PNWU and found Yakima to be a smaller version of my home town (Pro). During my time at Western, I felt like I was being fed through a conveyor belt a little more and felt that the location was too rural for my tastes. However I was assured that going to Corvallis nearby was fairly easy to do (never been to corvallis still). From what I've gather through online reviews and a few posts on SDN, my current understanding is that PNWU has a good reputation, but isn't quite as good as Western's

I am accepted at ICOM and interviewing at PNWU.. Have not heard from Western yet but anticipate hearing back soon. I live in Boise, ID.

We have med students rotate at the hospital I work at from PNWU and multiple students have blatantly told me to go to ICOM over PNWU due to issues with PNWU having difficulties w/ clinical rotation sites (Wa State, UW, ICOM taking priority. In speaking to ICOM students independent of interview day, all of them seemed very happy with their choice but were clear that they did not get in elsewhere. My ranking therefor has became 1) Western 2) ICOM 3) PNWU

ICOM has had some pretty negative rumors but tbh our community here has been very supportive of ICOM and I personally know 3-4 of the part time clinical teachers who all have great things to say about the school and recommend it highly. That being said, I'd still choose Western over ICOM

I am accepted at ICOM and interviewing at PNWU.. Have not heard from Western yet but anticipate hearing back soon. I live in Boise, ID.

We have med students rotate at the hospital I work at from PNWU and multiple students have blatantly told me to go to ICOM over PNWU due to issues with PNWU having difficulties w/ clinical rotation sites (Wa State, UW, ICOM taking priority. In speaking to ICOM students independent of interview day, all of them seemed very happy with their choice but were clear that they did not get in elsewhere. My ranking therefor has became 1) Western 2) ICOM 3) PNWU

ICOM has had some pretty negative rumors but tbh our community here has been very supportive of ICOM and I personally know 3-4 of the part time clinical teachers who all have great things to say about the school and recommend it highly. That being said, I'd still choose Western over ICOM

Thanks! this is exactly the kind of info/opinion I'm looking for