UNECOM vs NYITCOM vs Rowan SOM vs Touro-Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UNECOM vs NYITCOM vs Rowan SOM vs Touro-Harlem

  • UNECOM

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • NYITCOM

    Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Rowan-Virtua SOM

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • TouroCOM-Harlem

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    12

oceanchicken11

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I was accepted to UNE COM back in October. I retook my MCAT in January (I already signed up before II and was studying), increased it to a 507, and received 3 more interview invites shortly after I got my score back. In the last 2 weeks, I've interviewed at Touro-Harlem, Rowan-Virtua, and NYIT. I did not apply to MD schools this cycle because of my previous MCAT score. I am still waiting to hear back from the schools I recently interviewed with and am considering sending a letter of intent to one of them. I am interested in OB/GYN or pediatrics. UNE COM starts very early so I am anxious about the timing with WL movement at these other schools. Please help!

UNE COM
Pros
  • already familiar with the campus and some accepted students
  • housing deposit already put down (refundable)
  • new medical school building
  • living in Portland
  • good reputation
  • good matches in New England
  • great cadaver lab
  • current students seem happy
Cons
  • further away from home (about 3.5 hours drive)
  • 6 hours away from my partner
  • rotations can be anywhere in the northeast
  • 4th-year rotations are set up completely by the students
  • Honors/HP/Pass/F for preclinical years
  • frequent testing and quizzes

Touro-Harlem
Pros
  • closest to home
  • would be able to live with my partner
  • familiar with NYC
Cons
  • bad reputation??
  • current students seemed miserable during my interview
  • campus space is not ideal
  • competition with other NYC schools
  • high COL
  • frequent testing but I hear curriculum is changing
  • graded

Rowan-Virtua (OOS)- SGL track
Pros
  • affiliated hospital/great rotations
  • current students seem happy
  • great research
  • great reputation
  • good match list
  • affiliated residencies
  • P/F
Cons
  • highest cost (75k)
  • further away from family (about 3 hours)
  • about 1.5 hours away from partner

NYITCOM
Pros
  • close to home and partner
  • great research
  • great reputation
  • friends with current students
  • great match list (maybe the best out of these options)
  • P/F
Cons
  • largest class size
  • not my favorite campus (not a lot of study space)
  • can be traveling far for rotations