Poastbacc when UG gpa is 2.89?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrecinos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all !
So I received my B.A in Cognitive Science at UC Berkeley with an overall gpa of 2.89. I have always been interested in neuroscience, the brain, and sleep. I took a lot of courses in psychology, some math, and some programming. At the time I believed I wanted to become a clinical psychologist so I prepared myself more to go into grad school and pursue just that.
After some internships and working in the mental health field, I realized I wanted to pursue something more scientific and that I should have done premed instead. I have looked into many post bacc programs in California ( I currently live in LA) and have found that all require at least a 3.0 (at least the ones I have seen). I am very short of a 3.0 but because I haven't taken the premed classes I am hoping I can get a high gpa with the premed courses once taken. What are my options for the next step so that I can go to med school? Are there any post bacc programs that I could apply to with my gpa? I am aware of the UCLA extension program allowing me to take premed courses but I was wondering if going that route is any good or if it would be better for me to apply to another post bacc program. I would want to go to med school , get my MD and work in a sleep lab or hospital with patients that have trouble sleeping.
Thank you so much in advance I appreciate all time taken to help me better myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you don't have to do a formal post bacc- you could do your own. Take classes "a la carte" as a visiting student, or do another undergrad degree. With your generals out of the way it may be just as fast as a post bacc, if you're going to do school full time.
So, I have just taken classes as I could, primarily at my public university, but CCs can be good too and much less expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all !
So I received my B.A in Cognitive Science at UC Berkeley with an overall gpa of 2.89. I have always been interested in neuroscience, the brain, and sleep. I took a lot of courses in psychology, some math, and some programming. At the time I believed I wanted to become a clinical psychologist so I prepared myself more to go into grad school and pursue just that.
After some internships and working in the mental health field, I realized I wanted to pursue something more scientific and that I should have done premed instead. I have looked into many post bacc programs in California ( I currently live in LA) and have found that all require at least a 3.0 (at least the ones I have seen). I am very short of a 3.0 but because I haven't taken the premed classes I am hoping I can get a high gpa with the premed courses once taken. What are my options for the next step so that I can go to med school? Are there any post bacc programs that I could apply to with my gpa? I am aware of the UCLA extension program allowing me to take premed courses but I was wondering if going that route is any good or if it would be better for me to apply to another post bacc program. I would want to go to med school , get my MD and work in a sleep lab or hospital with patients that have trouble sleeping.
Thank you so much in advance I appreciate all time taken to help me better myself.
Hello hrecinos,
I was just wondering if you end up taking classes at UCLA extension, and what would be your experience with the program. I'm planning to take classes there, but I'm little bit worried since I have heard some negative reviews about the program.