Pocket ICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up and perused through it.

This is the red bound book that is the same series as Pocket Medicine, FYI

It seems pretty good. Parts of it seem like an addendum to Pocket Medicine, but covers critical care topics not in PM.

Anyone have an opinion on this book?

Members don't see this ad.

I just picked this up and perused through it.

This is the red bound book that is the same series as Pocket Medicine, FYI

It seems pretty good. Parts of it seem like an addendum to Pocket Medicine, but covers critical care topics not in PM.

Anyone have an opinion on this book?

huh

I've not heard of this

I'll have to run over to the book store and check it out. I always liked pocket medicine as a resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
says 2013 in my book. maybe it's a new edition? (though there are some typographical mistakes such as "Infection Myocardial Infarction"

if it has errors like that, doesn't that detract from its usefulness?

Just a few scattered typographical errors. Doesn't seem dealbreaking.

The Amazon reviews seemed to like it for the most part

I havent started residency yet, so this is why I am on this forum to see if any residents/fellows/attendings have used this book (in the short time it's been out) and think it's a worthwhile purchased for the ICU/CCU blocks.

if you are in need of a book, and don't have uptodate/want something more, do 'the icu book'. that one is the best or so I've heard.

if you are in need of a book, and don't have uptodate/want something more, do 'the icu book'. that one is the best or so I've heard.

I have that one as well. It's a bit of a strain on my eyes (wall of text is a struggle for me). I'll use them all (as much as I can), of course.

Marino's book is getting a bit old and needs to be updated

JDH as the Critical Care guy what do you suggest for a intern to have in the ICU and to study from?

JDH as the Critical Care guy what do you suggest for a intern to have in the ICU and to study from?

Yeah . . . I don't really have that kind of recommendation for an intern. You just need to show up, pay attention, work hard, be honest, admit mistakes and holes in knowledge, and basically hold on tight and get through any month in the ICU. True story.

If I had my druthers, I wouldn't let interns into the ICU, and the MICU would be an upper level rotation only with 4 residents doing q4 overnights - one team, no floats. You could really learn to be an animal like that, but such is the work requirements.

I honestly haven't looked at any of the new books. I'll try and check out pocket ICU at the bookstore this week. Like I said, I liked pocket medicine for hospital IM, so it's its good like pocket medicine than I'd get that.

If I had my druthers, I wouldn't let interns into the ICU, and the MICU would be an upper level rotation only

gotta disagree with that my friend

Members don't see this ad :)
gotta disagree with that my friend

You generally need someone with not only more experience (knowledge), but also enough confidence, who can work a whole call.

The intern who shows up to residency being able able to function at the knowledge and confidence level for the ICU is rare, and most should have it by the end of the first year.

You need to have a solid base of general IM to deal properly with criticla illness in MICU patient - my bias - I don't think critical care is just "doing things" to patients.

You generally need someone with not only more experience (knowledge), but also enough confidence, who can work a whole call.

The intern who shows up to residency being able able to function at the knowledge and confidence level for the ICU is rare, and most should have it by the end of the first year.

You need to have a solid base of general IM to deal properly with criticla illness in MICU patient - my bias - I don't think critical care is just "doing things" to patients.

If you're talking about a 'tern working an ICU call alone, I completely agree with you.

But with a senior or fellow involved alongside the intern, I think the ICU is probably the best place to get your learn on in the entire hospital. I was there the first day of internship and didn't have the slightest f-truckin' idea what I was doing. 5 weeks later (first rotation is 5 weeks...it sucked), I still didn't know my head from my ass, but at least I knew how to deal with the sickest of the sick (and when to call for help). Worst 5 weeks of my life (so far...I'm only actuarily halfway through it) but probably the most beneficial.

If you're talking about a 'tern working an ICU call alone, I completely agree with you.

But with a senior or fellow involved alongside the intern, I think the ICU is probably the best place to get your learn on in the entire hospital. I was there the first day of internship and didn't have the slightest f-truckin' idea what I was doing. 5 weeks later (first rotation is 5 weeks...it sucked), I still didn't know my head from my ass, but at least I knew how to deal with the sickest of the sick (and when to call for help). Worst 5 weeks of my life (so far...I'm only actuarily halfway through it) but probably the most beneficial.

Hmm. I suppose if you've got a system in place where you have that much cavalry in house anyway . . .

Yeah . . . I don't really have that kind of recommendation for an intern. You just need to show up, pay attention, work hard, be honest, admit mistakes and holes in knowledge, and basically hold on tight and get through any month in the ICU. True story.

This is basically a recipe for success in your entire intern year (maybe your entire career).

Show up. Work hard. Pay attention. Ask when you don't know (and know who to ask...sometimes UpToDate is the right "person" to ask, but sometimes you need to get your seniors/fellows/attendings involved sooner rather than later). Try to learn. Try harder not to actively kill anyone (with the understanding that we all die and sometimes you can't do s*** about it, no matter how much you want to). Come out of it on the other side with clean shorts (and a clean conscience).

Hmm. I suppose if you've got a system in place where you have that much cavalry in house anyway . . .

For better or worse, we did. One ICU had an intern, resident and fellow at night (and 3 teams of intern/resident and one fellow when the sun was up). The other one had an intern and resident and the fellow on call.

I'm kind of into the Wash Manual subspecialty series and picked up the critical care one a few months back. Went through 'The ICU Book' and while good for some background knowledge/ theory learning, wasn't something I'd use for day-to-day management.

Haven't heard or seen this pocket ICU one though.

I'm kind of into the Wash Manual subspecialty series and picked up the critical care one a few months back. Went through 'The ICU Book' and while good for some background knowledge/ theory learning, wasn't something I'd use for day-to-day management.

Haven't heard or seen this pocket ICU one though.

The prob with the washman critical care is that, unless it's changed, its a lot of either paragraphs, flow-charts, and you simply lack the time or context for them as an intern, respectively.

I didn't think it was that great for reference.

Their pulm consult isn't bad though. Needs updating (might be a new one out)

I have skimmed through the entire Pocket ICU book and I would say it's not a bad read.

It really does feel like the perfect complement to Pocket Medicine.

But I will leave its ultimate value to be seen when I go through residency.

I havent seen the pocket icu book.

For a handbook I recommend:
1) MGH critical care: newly updated.
2)Manual of intensive care medicine: older text but very well written.
3)wash manual isnt bad but it may be better suited to those already familiar with the field.

Have them all

Will keep them all handy to see which one works best for me

(FYI I keep them all on a iPad mini)

What about for a CCU rotation. Any book to recommend?