POD MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still didn't bother studying because I had a provisional acceptance as long as the test was completed (there was no minimum cutoff)

You must be talking about Barry University!

Members don't see this ad.

You must be talking about Barry University!

Hey now, no need for that! I will not disclose that type of information...
Anyways, who else is starting at Barry this Fall? Holla!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 3.5 gpa and a 25 O mcat (completely average 50th percentile). I had interviews with Temple, Scholl, and NY. Temple gave me 12k in scholarships. After that, I didn't need to interview with NY or Scholl.

If you feel that you can improve your score by a few points then I would say its definitely worth the cost of the test. If you can figure out what you need to do to improve then the higher the better. Also, Pod admissions get more competitive every year.

Take as many practice tests as you can, but try not to assume that your practice test scores will dictate how well you do on test day. I, for instance, had a high practice score of 36, but did considerably worse on the real thing. Anxiety, time issues, and environment all play a key role in what your score ends up being. I would recommend taking more tests, but to try to take the test in as much of a real-life test environment as possible to get used to the anxieties of test day. good luck!

Should I take another practice AAMC?

I don't think there is such a thing as taking too many practice MCATS.

For me, I had to do a lot of VR and PS. For the bio section, I went over all of my human A&P notes. I think it paid off; I had a lot of hormone questions.

From your practice exam scores it seems like you have a somewhat decent base of knowledge....you can work off that...be confident with what you know...use your brain...you can pull off the score you need....and if you don't....it's not the end of the world...people are in worse positions than you are...believe it or not...

so be confident with what you know and kill the exam!

:thumbup:

thanks WannaBeDPM i must say that i appreciate when the comments on here are either realistic or encouraging or both and not the condesending and negative-youll-never-get-in-so-dont-bother attitude I have been seeing too much on here :) i see you are prepod, where are you planning on going?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks WannaBeDPM i must say that i appreciate when the comments on here are either realistic or encouraging or both and not the condesending and negative-youll-never-get-in-so-dont-bother attitude I have been seeing too much on here :) i see you are prepod, where are you planning on going?

Yeah no worries got a 24 on my retake

awesome man! I'm taking the mcat in January because thats just the earliest I can take it after mid september....I think that's so wacked out but whatever...congrats again!

:thumbup:

depends on the school.

1. More competitive schools like DMU or Temple will interview you with a minimum as low as 18. Some like 21 (Barry). Regardless of the GPA. However, I figure that exceptions are made if a guy with a 4.0 GPA submits a 17 mcat. That applicant may still get a interview.

2. Non-competitive schools like OCPM will let you interview with a 16 as long as you have at least a 3.0 GPA.

3. To be safe, I would not submit with anything less than a 21. Rememebr that the MCAT goes all the way up to 45 and people that aim for low 20s usually end up in the high teens (Ouch) Aim for 45.

depends on the school.

1. More competitive schools like DMU or Temple will interview you with a minimum as low as 18. Some like 21 (Barry). Regardless of the GPA. However, I figure that exceptions are made if a guy with a 4.0 GPA submits a 17 mcat. That applicant may still get a interview.

2. Non-competitive schools like OCPM will let you interview with a 16 as long as you have at least a 3.0 GPA.

3. To be safe, I would not submit with anything less than a 21. Rememebr that the MCAT goes all the way up to 45 and people that aim for low 20s usually end up in the high teens (Ouch) Aim for 45.

where did you get your facts?

depends on the school.

Is that a joke? Barry is the school you apply to at 12:00pm and then get an automated interview invite at 4:00pm. Futhermore, interview = acceptance there. From interviewing myself and talking to other applicants, it seems to be the easiest pod school to gain acceptance. I'm not knocking the program itself or its integrity, just the lax admissions.

depends on the school.

The OCPM 'fact' is not true. For OCPM, the minimum acceptable MCAT score is 20. thats taken directly from their admissions page.

The OCPM 'fact' is not true. For OCPM, the minimum acceptable MCAT score is 20. thats taken directly from their admissions page.

I know what their admissions page says, but I PERSONALLY know someone who received their invite from OCPM like last week. His current mcat score was 16. I did not say that you will get acecpted with a 16, I just said that you WILL get an invite. The letter they sent him also says that all aceptable scores must be acheived before you can actually start. 16 = invite, maybe not acceptance.

Is that a joke? Barry is the school you apply to at 12:00pm and then get an automated interview invite at 4:00pm. Futhermore, interview = acceptance there. From interviewing myself and talking to other applicants, it seems to be the easiest pod school to gain acceptance. I'm not knocking the program itself or its integrity, just the lax admissions.

Listen friend, I am only getting my facts from the people in the admissions office. I call and ask the same silly questions that everyone posts on this site and these are the FACTS that they are telling me. Just becasue you submitted a Barry application and got a interview within 4-6 hrs does not mean that is the case for everyone. My friend with the "16" applied to Barry with a >3.0 GPA and 16M mcat and has not heard a peep from them. Go figure!

I know what their admissions page says, but I PERSONALLY know someone who received their invite from OCPM like last week. His current mcat score was 16. I did not say that you will get acecpted with a 16, I just said that you WILL get an invite. The letter they sent him also says that all aceptable scores must be acheived before you can actually start. 16 = invite, maybe not acceptance.

my bad. i read your post wrong! they will let you take the mcat again and will see if you score better

i absolutely love it. its very difficult but if you study hard its extremely rewarding. everyone seems so energized about podiatry and theres a ton of podiatry related clubs (women, sports med, surgery etc...) which is great. i love telling people im a pod student, gives me a chance to promote the field and educate some people that think we are going to be solely nail clippers haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Listen friend, I am only getting my facts from the people in the admissions office. I call and ask the same silly questions that everyone posts on this site and these are the FACTS that they are telling me. Just becasue you submitted a Barry application and got a interview within 4-6 hrs does not mean that is the case for everyone. My friend with the "16" applied to Barry with a >3.0 GPA and 16M mcat and has not heard a peep from them. Go figure!

Well a 16 MCAT is awful to begin with, and coupled with a GPA above 3.0 definitely raises some red flags. The average MCAT score for all test takers is 24 so a 16 is way below average. Barry admissions people may say "21" but the school is far less selective than DMU/Scholl/AZPOD. Even the interview is lax, you meet with 1 guy (a lawyer) as opposed to Des Moines and Arizona where it is 3-on-1 with a DPM, PhD, and student all firing questions at you.

And for OCPM, the minimum is now a 20 for the MCAT. I just interviewed there and heard it directly from admissions (and the website).

Well a 16 MCAT is awful to begin with, and coupled with a GPA above 3.0 definitely raises some red flags. The average MCAT score for all test takers is 24 so a 16 is way below average. Barry admissions people may say "21" but the school is far less selective than DMU/Scholl/AZPOD. Even the interview is lax, you meet with 1 guy (a lawyer) as opposed to Des Moines and Arizona where it is 3-on-1 with a DPM, PhD, and student all firing questions at you.

And for OCPM, the minimum is now a 20 for the MCAT. I just interviewed there and heard it directly from admissions (and the website).

I agree with you, a 16M MCAT is awful. However, it is not bad for a guy who works 40+ hrs a week, was taking >15 science credits, and is married with 2 kids...Did I mention he studied for a grand 6 hours for the test. Also he did not have O. CHM I, or II or Physics II. I can keep going on but it is not my place nor yours to boost about what we feel a minimum or a awful score is. in my opinion, any score <30 on MCAT is horrible. Any GPA < 3.5 is horrible...but that's just me. Lets just let the adcom people do their jobs and hope they admit qualified candidates.

PS: Barry gave you a lawyer to interview with..That's cool! How was Ohio?

mid 20's to lock pod school . also, a decent GPA above 3.0

anybody thinking good riddance to NAVYLABDOC? I am. Why apply in the first place? Thanks for perpetuating the belief that the only people who try podiatry are the ones who can't get into MD school. Some people (like myself...) have the resume/grades/scores for MD and CHOOSE to do Podiatry. I understand that it is a last resort for some, but if it is to be taken seriously, it will take dedicated people and schools like DMU, AZpod, and Scholl to help it gain the respect among medical professionals that it deserves

While what some of you post is true, he/she still seemed like a level headed, good natured person, who didn't perpetuate false information or misinformed views so I can't complain in that respect.
Additionally, it will take dedicated people from EVERY pod school to help podiatry gain respect amongst the medical profession. Just as some people here judge a school by its worst students, people will judge podiatry by its worst doctors.

If you are concerned about betting in somewhere apply to NYCPM. I know for a FACT they regularly take students that don't get into Temple.

mid 20's to lock pod school . also, a decent GPA above 3.0

I'm sorry but I would not say this is true, please tell me that an applicant with a measly 3.0 and mid 20's is a "lock"...maybe PA school but please tell me this isn't true for podiatry...yuck

I'm sorry but I would not say this is true, please tell me that an applicant with a measly 3.0 and mid 20's is a "lock"...maybe PA school but please tell me this isn't true for podiatry...yuck

I'd say its fairly true, even at DMU, Scholl, Azpod, etc (maybe a bit higher GPA). Also, I don't think PA's take the MCAT. I think the stats have been rising the last couple years though, and hopefully they continue to do so.