POD MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vincenzo333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the magic number to get into pod school? Anyone who got in....would you mind sharing your score?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on your GPA and when you apply...
i know someone that had around a 3.5-6 and got a half scholarship to scholl and they asked this person to get a "16" on the MCAT....

mid 20s and you'll have your choice of schools with scholarships...

The averages vary from school to school and from year to year.

I think 3.3/23 is around the average pod school acceptee lately, but thats just a rough guess... it varies. Good gpa usually compensates somewhat for below avg MCAT and vice-versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on your GPA and when you apply...
i know someone that had around a 3.5-6 and got a half scholarship to scholl and they asked this person to get a "16" on the MCAT....

mid 20s and you'll have your choice of schools with scholarships...

So schools will likely offer scholarships to applicants with GPAs > 3.5 and MCAT scores of at least 16-18?

unfortunately, you do not need a high mcat score. and I do not understand how anyone can get below a 16 on that exam.

I got a 5,779 ZZZZZZZZZZZ on the MCAT and Barry pod decided to give me a full ride and rename the school after me when I graduate from the four year program in 14 months.

Spooge College of Podiatric Medicine - it is where you belong!

Last edited:
sounds like Moonboot Podunk University may be in trouble with this new competitor

That MPU is no match for my new carribean school.

Dorsum of the Penis College of Podiatric Medicine - Smile this is also where you belong.

He had a 3.0 and a 27 on his MCAT and is going to CSPM..

Hope that helps

I don't know much about the MCAT and I have never taken it, but I thought 23 was a fairly low score, no? I am just curious why MCAT scores can be this low... podiatry is still medicine, afterall... and the schools that accept the DAT still, what score do they expect? Average for dental now is between 19-20. I'm just trying to understand the discrepancies out of curiosity and for no better reason.

I don't know much about the MCAT and I have never taken it, but I thought 23 was a fairly low score, no? I am just curious why MCAT scores can be this low... podiatry is still medicine, afterall... and the schools that accept the DAT still, what score do they expect? Average for dental now is between 19-20. I'm just trying to understand the discrepancies out of curiosity and for no better reason.

i believe the average score for the MCAT was a 24, from the same time period the average DAT was 16. both may have very well risen in 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I have a 3.5 GPA and got a 24 on the MCAT do I stand a chance of getting in? :)

So if I have a 3.5 GPA and got a 24 on the MCAT do I stand a chance of getting in? :)

If your not socially awkward during the interviews, you will get into all the schools I'm sure.

It varies depending upon school. Some have very high competition while others accept anyone who applies.

but with those stats you'll get in any school you choose no matter how "competitive" it is

saying a pod school admissions standard is competitive is an oxymorn

It varies depending upon school. Some have very high competition while others accept anyone who applies.

No brah, he/she will get in anywhere with that, even DMU and AZPOD. As long as they are not an interview spaz, they are golden.

No brah, he/she will get in anywhere with that, even DMU and AZPOD. As long as they are not an interview spaz, they are golden.

You are right if its in early application cycle.

Admission standards & applicant numbers are increasing pretty suprisingly and if the applicant is applying during mid cycle or last months then he/she can face tough competition these days (atleast at AZPOD,DMU & scholl).

when you guys are mentioning GPA values....are you refering to science GPA, non science, or cumulative? I thought the pod schools dont ask for cumulative GPA, i thought they ask specifically for non science and science?

honestly pod schools is MUCH MUCH harder then I anticipated.... either way a 3.2-3.3 and 21-24 on the mcat should be enough to get you in. From what I hear it is getting more and more "competitive" lately.... i'd try to get in asap.

P.S. whoever is saying that competitive and podiatry school is an oxymoron etc... ask the many kids who now are not getting accepted/having a MUCH harder time to get in. There are a lot more now than the past 2-3 years...

honestly pod schools is MUCH MUCH harder then I anticipated.... either way a 3.2-3.3 and 21-24 on the mcat should be enough to get you in. From what I hear it is getting more and more "competitive" lately.... i'd try to get in asap.

P.S. whoever is saying that competitive and podiatry school is an oxymoron etc... ask the many kids who now are not getting accepted/having a MUCH harder time to get in. There are a lot more now than the past 2-3 years...

Scholl, DMU, and AZPOD are definitely more stringent on acceptance than the other schools. Ohio, NYCPM, and Temple are pretty easy to get in. Barry and CSPM, a pulse.

Last edited:
Scholl, DMU, and AZPOD are definitely more stringent on acceptance than the other schools. Ohio, NYCPM, and Temple are pretty easy to get in. Barry and CSPM, a pulse.

i heard OCPM has bcom very selective who its takes in. Is this true? (to all who applied at OCPM in this admission cycle)

i heard OCPM has bcom very selective who its takes in. Is this true? (to all who applied at OCPM in this admission cycle)

I applied to OCPM back in September and interviewed in November. I
was conditionally accepted since I hadn't taken the MCAT as well as
the second semester of organic chemistry. In my letter I was told
that in order to receive a "full unconditional acceptance" I need to
score at least a 21 on the MCAT and get at least a B in organic
chemistry. So it does appear they have upped their standards on the
MCAT.

I do know of some people who were only accepted to their 5 year
program because they got 19s on their MCAT. They did have GPAs around
3.1 to 3.2 however.

It does appear to me that they are trying to push up their average GPAs
abd MCAT scores. Maybe someone else can also confirm this.

If you're someone who was pre-med, you should have no problem getting in ANY pod school.

I went on the interview at ocpm bc of my GF, who interviewed at ohio for pharm school. But now since she got accepted to her number choice, I gave up my spot a few months.

I would say, Ohio's admissions standards are similar to Scholls and DMUs. I know a lot of people who got "conditionally accepted", and some of those people also got accepted to Scholl's.

But then again, I know of someone who got a high gpa with low mcat got accepted to OCPM with schalorship and didnt get an interview at Scholls.

:confused:

I heard of a few people who got put on the 5 year program even before school started. lol

But then again, I know of someone who got a high gpa with low mcat got accepted to OCPM with schalorship and didnt get an interview at Scholls.

:confused:

I heard of a few people who got put on the 5 year program even before school started. lol

Put in a 5 year program before starting? I didn't even know they did that. I imagine you would have to have both a very low gpa and mcat not just one or the other. Conditional acceptances are a weird thing and can be good and bad. For instance I have a strong gpa and resume and when applying to schools I was yet to take the MCAT. However, the main school I wanted to go to offered me a provisional acceptance as long as I took the MCAT (no minimum cutoff score needed) and then I was formally accepted with scholarship a few days after I actually took it. Anyways what I'm trying to say is I basically quit studying when I found out about the provisional acceptance and focused on other things instead. But you can see how this could contribute to the lower average acceptance score for school so and so.

Put in a 5 year program before starting? I didn't even know they did that. I imagine you would have to have both a very low gpa and mcat not just one or the other. Conditional acceptances are a weird thing and can be good and bad. For instance I have a strong gpa and resume and when applying to schools I was yet to take the MCAT. However, the main school I wanted to go to offered me a provisional acceptance as long as I took the MCAT (no minimum cutoff score needed) and then I was formally accepted with scholarship a few days after I actually took it. Anyways what I'm trying to say is I basically quit studying when I found out about the provisional acceptance and focused on other things instead. But you can see how this could contribute to the lower average acceptance score for school so and so.

That does sound weird huh? I was kinda surprised too.

Personally, I think conditional acceptances is dumb. Getting interviews w/o all your scores, and then you have to pay a deposit. LOL

What if you dont make the cutoff? BYE BYE 500 DOLLARS! :laugh:

It's a bit ridiculous to say that "conditional acceptance" is dumb. It may be dumb for you based on your circumstances. However it can prove extremely helpful by providing a year earlier entry, which will possibly enable them to work a year longer as a podiatrist in the future and avoid sitting stationary for another year, for a mere 500.00
I am one of those students and a conditional acceptance based on a known cutoff score is simply be betting on myself where I stand a good chance to win.
So I view the opportunity for conditional acceptance a very positive function as it enables some students in unique circumstances and perhaps enables schools to fill seats with those otherwise uniquely qualified students.

It's a bit ridiculous to say that "conditional acceptance" is dumb. It may be dumb for you based on your circumstances. However it can prove extremely helpful by providing a year earlier entry, which will possibly enable them to work a year longer as a podiatrist in the future and avoid sitting stationary for another year, for a mere 500.00
I am one of those students and a conditional acceptance based on a known cutoff score is simply be betting on myself where I stand a good chance to win.
So I view the opportunity for conditional acceptance a very positive function as it enables some students in unique circumstances and perhaps enables schools to fill seats with those otherwise uniquely qualified students.

Absolutely right brother! Conditional acceptance is awesome if someone is yet to take the exam or finish some courses. I applied on sep-5,2006 and got accepted to scholl on sep-19th,2006. My MCAT was scheduled for December. Had they said me to reapply again after decemeber. then i might have been late for the cycle and suffered being listed on waiting list.

Plus, gambling with $500 is nothing compared to saving whole academic year.

Conditional acceptances may be a good thing for some people, but I think that they bring the overall stats down for podiatry students. So many people say that anyone can get into a podiatry school, the stats are low, etc. Offering conditional acceptances to people who have not yet taken the MCAT sets a low standard from the beginning. If an admissions committee tells you that you only need to get a certain (extremely low) score on the MCAT, then that is what people tend to aim for. Why should you spend all this time studying your tail off, if you only have to get a 20? If we want to be seen at the same level as MDs and DOs, then we should have similar admissions standards. Many MD and DO schools won't even look at your application until they have an MCAT score, regardless of how impressive you seem without it. I think that most podiatry students out there have the capacity to score well on the MCAT (evidenced by the curriculum that is faced in school). But the knowledge that you can get in with a low score perpetuates the cyle of low admission statistics.

Conditional acceptances may be a good thing for some people, but I think that they bring the overall stats down for podiatry students. So many people say that anyone can get into a podiatry school, the stats are low, etc. Offering conditional acceptances to people who have not yet taken the MCAT sets a low standard from the beginning. If an admissions committee tells you that you only need to get a certain (extremely low) score on the MCAT, then that is what people tend to aim for. Why should you spend all this time studying your tail off, if you only have to get a 20? If we want to be seen at the same level as MDs and DOs, then we should have similar admissions standards. Many MD and DO schools won't even look at your application until they have an MCAT score, regardless of how impressive you seem without it. I think that most podiatry students out there have the capacity to score well on the MCAT (evidenced by the curriculum that is faced in school). But the knowledge that you can get in with a low score perpetuates the cyle of low admission statistics.

Conditional acceptances atleast at top tier schools are not given to every tom dick harry. they take into account your GPA, LORs,etc and then based on that there is a committe that decides whether the applicant should be given opprutunity to take exams later. I do agree that they should not give so low cut offs. They should probably increase cutoffs.

Also remember that cutoffs are different for each applicant. they take GPA & other stuff in account. if someone has a GPA of 4.0 their MCAT score requiremets are different from someone who has a GPA of 3.2 [altleast this is what i observed in scholl]

I guess it really depends on how you look at it.
Of course, if you're someone with a conditional acceptance, you will think it's a positive thing. :rolleyes:
I think if they take away those conditional acceptances we can gain more respect (look at MD schools). This is one of the reasons why pod school has such low stats (as mentioned above).

If we ever want to be viewed as equals, we should do something about the admission standards. (I am talking about every pod school)

:thumbup:

I think if they take away those conditional acceptances we can gain more respect (look at MD schools). This is one of the reasons why pod school has such low stats (as mentioned above).

How would taking out conditional acceptances help us gain more respect? Conditional acceptancs dont even make up 30% of regular admission cycle (i did found out this from someone). the average regular applicants are having low mcats, low gpas,etc. what abt them?

The main issue is schools should increase the general admission stats like high GPA, high MCATs,etc etc. but i doubt this would be happening suddenly. We still lack applicants and without good number of applicants there isnt healthy competition & shortage of seats. Things are definetly improving every year.

I think this issue is related to APMA, AACPM and APMSA more than individual schools. if these organizations adverstise aggresively, increase public awareness,do recruitment in colleges,etc. Our numbers can increase which inturn will increase our competion and applicant stats.

But as long as applicant numbers are itself down, it wont make a big difference if school raises the bar to GPA 3.5 or MCAT 28. We need huge applicant pool so that schools can be picky

There are thousands of applicants when it comes to MD/DO schools compared to Pod schools. MD schools have a vast choice to decide whom to choose. thats not the case with pod applicants. we have 1 or 2 applicants per seat ratio in some cases. Some Pod schools go unfilled till the end. what you are saying is true and makes sense but think if schools start increasing their bar and get no students at all (now you cannot deny the fact how low is our majority applicant pool). who is gonna pay their revenues,salaries,etc.

One way i think is that we raise our admission bar high and dont care how many students we take. be it just 20 (for a class of 100) and then make those 20 students pay the fees that would equal what 100 people would pay. in that way, schools will be able to afford everything and we can get a class that is top notch. its a win win situation. the only thing is that then our annual tution will be way higher and we have to graduate with student loans in millions.

One way i think is that we raise our admission bar high and dont care how many students we take. be it just 20 (for a class of 100) and then make those 20 students pay the fees that would equal what 100 people would pay. in that way, schools will be able to afford everything and we can get a class that is top notch. its a win win situation. the only thing is that then our annual tution will be way higher and we have to graduate with student loans in millions.

That is simply impossible. Let's average tuition for all schools at $25K with 80 students per class. That generates $2M for the school. If the schools only took 20 of the best, that would boost tuition to $100K per year! Even with halving the schools enrollment, and using my numbers, tuition would be $40K a year minimum for ALL students.

U r being sarcastic right?

Thanks for everyone's responses! I'll be applying in September to start in 2009 so I'll definitely get everything in as early as possible. I'm in a Pre-Med program now and had to do an interview with them to get a recommendation, and they said that they think I do wonderfully in interviews but that they would wait until I got my MCAT scores to make a final decision.. Now that I've heard what people have to say I definitely feel more confident.. not cocky though, considering what I've heard about the process getting more and more competitive!

How would taking out conditional acceptances help us gain more respect? Conditional acceptancs dont even make up 30% of regular admission cycle (i did found out this from someone). the average regular applicants are having low mcats, low gpas,etc. what abt them?

The main issue is schools should increase the general admission stats like high GPA, high MCATs,etc etc. but i doubt this would be happening suddenly. We still lack applicants and without good number of applicants there isnt healthy competition & shortage of seats. Things are definetly improving every year.

I think this issue is related to APMA, AACPM and APMSA more than individual schools. if these organizations adverstise aggresively, increase public awareness,do recruitment in colleges,etc. Our numbers can increase which inturn will increase our competion and applicant stats.

But as long as applicant numbers are itself down, it wont make a big difference if school raises the bar to GPA 3.5 or MCAT 28. We need huge applicant pool so that schools can be picky

Are you sure that conditional acceptances make up only 30%??
When I talked to the people at Ohio, I know atleast half of the applicants there were conditionally accepted, if not more.

Other schools might be different.

So you dont think conditional acceptances lead to people with lower scores? What about those people with 3.5-3.8 GPAs and only need a 16 or 17 to get in?
Do you think those people are going to study their butts off for the MCAT?

Like you said, higher score = more respect, am I right?

U r being sarcastic right?

No! why does it look sarcastic . iam dead serious. if we really want serious changes than brother we all have to seriously think abt this problem. we cannot just ask schools to raise their admission criteria without resolving the problem of their finances if by chance they run low on students.

If applicant numbers are not changing then perhaps we can change our fees and compensate school in that way if they suffer in applicant numbers bcoz of the raised admission criteria. And we really have to do something abt this whole situation. because due to the low admission stats our field is also becoming a backup option for many rejected MD/DO/Dent applicants. which is very unhealthy and hurting our image. People should join podiatry becuase they love it and not because they got rejected from everywhere else (believe me, when you will join pod school and start speaking to fellow students.you will be suprised by the numbers).

Last edited:

yes atleast at two toptier schools where i found out from seniors.

So you dont think conditional acceptances lead to people with lower scores? What about those people with 3.5-3.8 GPAs and only need a 16 or 17 to get in?

Yes you are absolutely right and i agree with you that higher score = more respect.

But think abt this, If its a good student he/she will study hard and get a decent score. i mean common why would a 3.9 gpa guy be contented with 18 MCAT. he will definetly try for 24-25. i know some people in scholl who were asked MCAT score in low 20s but they scored in 25s. I think this issue is more on applicant than school people.

I know some people are lazy and they will lose motivation. Its a grey area i guess. I personally think if there's a good student, he will study hard no matter what cutoff he has been given.

Plus schools dont willingly give low cutoffs. they see the average class stats and then give the students the average score required. if our overall appliant pool (conditional + regular applicants) itself becomes competitive then iam sure the cutoff scores will be in high 25s or low 30s.

Last edited:
yes atleast at two toptier schools where i found out from seniors.

Yes you are absolutely right and i agree with you that higher score = more respect.

But think abt this, If its a good student he/she will study hard and get a decent score. i mean common why would a 3.9 gpa guy be contented with 18 MCAT. he will definetly try for 24-25. i know some people in scholl who were asked MCAT score in low 20s but they scored in 25s. I think this issue is more on applicant than school people.

I know some people are lazy and they will lose motivation. Its a grey area i guess. I personally think if there's a good student, he will study hard no matter what cutoff he has been given.

Plus schools dont willingly give low cutoffs. they see the average class stats and then give the students the average score required. if our overall appliant pool (conditional + regular applicants) itself becomes competitive then iam sure the cutoff scores will be in high 25s or low 30s.

cool_vkb, you can't raise the fees like that. It's just too much and would draw many people (myself included) away from the field.

Simply put, we need more applicants. Not too many people know about podiatry and over time if we inform them and prove ourselves to them in the hospital the word will spread. Then you will have people wanting to join podiatry. It's like dentistry, its admissions standards are increasing more and more because we are finding out about the benefits of entering the field and now people want to join it. Soon enough, podiatry will be in this same situation. We are on what I believe to be the start of this situation.

You mention why someone with a good gpa would settle for less, I'm a perfect example. Not that I'm proud of this or anything. I have a 3.6 gpa (3.5 science, 3.7 nonscience) and endless extracurriculars and such. I studied for the mcat and I hit a 'safe' score of 27. That was timed and on my own and everything. Then, I simply quit studying. Took it again a few weeks then it was down to a 20. I still didn't bother studying because I had a provisional acceptance as long as the test was completed (there was no minimum cutoff). The night before the test I stayed out late, got little sleep, just wanted to get this taken over with. When I took it I started a little late on the verbal which threw me completely off for the entire thing. At that point I told myself I would just void it and take it again no problem. BUT, I said to myself that it's only podiatry school admissions and I need to get this thing in ASAP if I want to enroll for Fall 08. So can you see how people with my type of attitude can bring the MCAT scores down?

Like I said, we need to get podiatry out there in the public. I want to hear high schoolers saying to each other "hey man I wanna go in to podiatry!" or "have you heard about podiatry this looks sweet?!". Spread the word. It is OUR JOB! We can do this guys. Then with graduating podiatrists out there in the real world doing surgeries and showing everyone what pods can do everyone around them will have no choice but to be impressed. Don't worry about admission standards or what not, that'll take care of itself. Start small, grow big, spread the word, prove ourselves, and earn the respect.

No! why does it look sarcastic . iam dead serious. if we really want serious changes than brother we all have to seriously think abt this problem. we cannot just ask schools to raise their admission criteria without resolving the problem of their finances if by chance they run low on students.

If applicant numbers are not changing then perhaps we can change our fees and compensate school in that way if they suffer in applicant numbers bcoz of the raised admission criteria. And we really have to do something abt this whole situation. because due to the low admission stats our field is also becoming a backup option for many rejected MD/DO/Dent applicants. which is very unhealthy and hurting our image. People should join podiatry becuase they love it and not because they got rejected from everywhere else (believe me, when you will join pod school and start speaking to fellow students.you will be suprised by the numbers).

Quite honestly, do you really think that raising tuition will create some sort of competitive nature of podiatry? Everybody’s student loan debt for podiatry school is bad enough as it is. I doubt that the simple thought of “millions of loan debt” is going to entice potential applicants. Above all, your proposal is simply unrealistic.

I do, however, agree with the fact that our applicant pool is low and needs some work. Podiatry as a doctoral degree and a profession really needs to come in the public eye more often. I am confident that Vision 2015 and other APMA marketing strategies will create a larger applicant pool in the future. A larger applicant pool will warrant the competitiveness of podiatry; not the “millions of loan debt”. In addition, there is already a trend of more students applying for podiatry.

Rejects of MD/DO/Dentists who apply to podiatry can’t be controlled for the moment. Only a more selective(aka competitive) admission process can handle that. But I was under the assumption that many of these rejects get weeded out the 1st year of podiatry school. And if these rejects decided to get into podiatry then they will face the consequences of getting into a profession that will not be satisfying for them. Who knows, maybe these rejects are actually raising our admissions stats?

I do, however, agree with the fact that our applicant pool is low and needs some work. Podiatry as a doctoral degree and a profession really needs to come in the public eye more often. I am confident that Vision 2015 and other APMA marketing strategies will create a larger applicant pool in the future. A larger applicant pool will warrant the competitiveness of podiatry; not the “millions of loan debt”. In addition, there is already a trend of more students applying for podiatry.

Iam also hoping that APMA and vision 2015 will be able to solve this problem. Lets hope for the best:)

Like I said, we need to get podiatry out there in the public. I want to hear high schoolers saying to each other "hey man I wanna go in to podiatry!" or "have you heard about podiatry this looks sweet?!". Spread the word. It is OUR JOB! We can do this guys. Then with graduating podiatrists out there in the real world doing surgeries and showing everyone what pods can do everyone around them will have no choice but to be impressed. Don't worry about admission standards or what not, that'll take care of itself. Start small, grow big, spread the word, prove ourselves, and earn the respect.

:) yep thats what is happening. I also see slow but definitive changes in admission cycles. but expecting sudden changes is really impossible. iam sure by the time we graduate (2011 or 2012). We will have good admission standards and healty competition.

When I talked to the people at Ohio, I know atleast half of the applicants there were conditionally accepted, if not more.

Other schools might be different.

Technically, at OCPM probably more like 90% of people are "conditionally accepted". This is because you must submit you final transcripts from undergrad to be "officially accepted" and most people are still completing undergrad when they apply. I'm not sure how it works at other schools though.

I'm also making the 'assumption' that a conditional acceptance which a college offers is actually their to entice and secure students they feel are above what else is in the applicant pool - so it actually does serve a purpose and would likely begin to fade out as the applicant pool (and quality) increases in size....therefore I really think it's beneficial to all parties involved.
Also note there are MANY MD or Pharm and other programs that allow students to enroll as an undergrad...and as long as they maintain a given threshold value of gpa/mcat they are automatically moved to the professional program.... this is also a tool to secure students they can deem successful.. i'm sure it's a stats game and they have a damn good curve of success relating a given gpa and a cut off mcat score ;)

Also note there are MANY MD or Pharm and other programs that allow students to enroll as an undergrad...and as long as they maintain a given threshold value of gpa/mcat they are automatically moved to the professional program.... this is also a tool to secure students they can deem successful.. i'm sure it's a stats game and they have a damn good curve of success relating a given gpa and a cut off mcat score ;)

Not only that, some Univs which have pre-med/MD combined programs dont even expect MCAT scores for their students. MCAT is taken in 3rd year as a mere formality. They are granted admission totally upon their ACT/SAT score and on a condition that they maintain a certain GPA every year.

I guess its all about applicant numbers when it comes to our podiatry admissions. iam sure all will be good in coming yrs.

BUT, I said to myself that it's only podiatry school admissions and I need to get this thing in ASAP if I want to enroll for Fall 08. So can you see how people with my type of attitude can bring the MCAT scores down?

This was my thought process entirely. I said screw taking a class and wasting 1000 dollars. I just bought some books and studied for about a month prior because I KNEW that you didn't need ridiculous mid 30-low 40 scores like you do for MD schools.

I also agree with your thoughts on raising the bar for admissions, however I also agree that we need more applicants to be able to choose more selectively. In my class I could def pick out a handful of people that PROB didn't deserve to be there and I hear schools accept these "on the fence" ppl just for their tuition. These the type of practices that are bringing this profession's image down.