Pod school websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else annoyed at how bad some of the pod school websites are? I mean, I know the website shouldn't matter about the program quality, but MAN! Some of these websites look like they are stuck in the early 2000s when people didn't know how to make a website... What are your thoughts?

Here is my list and how I rank the websites, first being best, last being worst:

DMU
AZPOD
Barry
NYCPM
Sam Merritt
OCPM
Scholl
Western
Temple (Comic Sans Titles?!? Seriously?!)

IMO, DMU and AZPOD are the only two websites that I would classify as attractive, and actually make me want to go there. Scholl and downward seriously need new websites.

*le sigh* before I get flamed for this thread, this is just in good fun. These rankings have no bearing on the education you'll receive.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else annoyed at how bad some of the pod school websites are? I mean, I know the website shouldn't matter about the program quality, but MAN! Some of these websites look like they are stuck in the early 2000s when people didn't know how to make a website... What are your thoughts?

Here is my list and how I rank the websites, first being best, last being worst:

DMU
AZPOD
Barry
NYCPM
Sam Merritt
OCPM
Scholl
Western

IMO, DMU and AZPOD are the only two websites that I would classify as attractive, and actually make me want to go there. Scholl and downward seriously need new websites.

*le sigh* before I get flamed for this thread, this is just in good fun. These rankings have no bearing on the education you'll receive.

I agree with this list. Also, maybe POD schools don't realize how much an attractive and easy to use website can drastically increase a students perception of the program. With that said, the attractiveness of the website shouldn't matter at all really... it does because thats how the human mind operates. Get it together Temple... haha

DMU
AZPOD
Barry
NYCPM
Sam Merritt
OCPM
Scholl
Western

I definitely agree with you! When I was transitioning to podiatry from the regular medical school track I questioned my motives just because of the websites! The administration really does not know how much these websites play a role in recruitment and/or the application process. Luckily I searched these forums and the web day and night to get a better idea of what I was getting myself into and the type of reputations the schools have. I hope this changes soon-especially for Temple!

Again, like you've stated, it shouldn't matter, but it really does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe applicants have a good comp background can mention spicing up the websites? I agree, my first real experience with podiatry was their websites. I was NOT impressed. The literature? A little better.

Hopefully adcoms read this and realize how important that it really is...

When people talk about pushing podiatry to the next level and attracting higher-caliber students to the schools, the websites are a great place to start. What student in their right mind with a 36 MCAT would go to a school whose website using comic sans and looks like a middle-school comp-sci class project?!?!

Not to bash Temple but they should probably work on the advertising aspect of their school. I never had a chance to really look at their website but I do have to say that the person setting up the interviews was a bit rude. I did give them the benefit of the doubt thinking that I just caught them on a bad day, but all the other interviewees I asked at other interview days had the same experience. Just doesn't seem like good business to have the first person a prospective student talks to act in that manner. Keep in mind I am in no way detracting from the quality of the school. I am sure it is an excellent program, however first impressions do make an impact.

DMU
AZPOD
Barry
NYCPM
Sam Merritt
OCPM
Scholl
Western

:thumbup:

Completely agree. Not to mention its hard as hell to find all of the information you need for the specific school. Lol @ comic sans, that means 90% of internet users detest it already. :)

Here's one student who gave up on podiatry a couple years ago during my initial research because of the uneasy feeling the uninformative and unattractive websites gave me. I've since changed my mind after shadowing a couple of DPMs. To be honest, I still get an uneasy feeling when I'm trying to find out anything specific about some of these schools on the internet and have to bring myself back to these forums to remind myself that it's all a legitimate operation.

So who do we email a link to this thread to get started on a fix?

Here's one student who gave up on podiatry a couple years ago during my initial research because of the uneasy feeling the uninformative and unattractive websites gave me. I've since changed my mind after shadowing a couple of DPMs. To be honest, I still get an uneasy feeling when I'm trying to find out anything specific about some of these schools on the internet and have to bring myself back to these forums to remind myself that it's all a legitimate operation.

So who do we email a link to this thread to get started on a fix?

Pretty sure most of the school's adcoms already read these threads. So hopefully they get the message.... haha. Also, at least you and I are pre-pods and it would be extremely awkward to call a school and tell them that their website sucks, but then ask for a spot in their class.... haha

Maybe leave feedback at APMA or Todays Podiatrist website, it will probably fall on deaf ears, but you could try!

I don't think the school sites should be the only pages looked at here, the AACPM site needs quite a bit of attention. I think a decent number of people are put off by the profession just by looking at the application site. I don't necessarily think that should be the case but it is an unfortunate truth for our generation and especially future generations considering application.

You could relate the AACPM/school web site to part of the "profession's interview". While one could go to an interview in a t-shirt and shorts and be an ideal candidate, it still throws a wrench in the perspective of those interviewing you.

Members don't see this ad :)
YESSSS!!!! I wonder if they heard our cries?! I bet it was in the works before we started this thread as I imagine they couldn't put a new website together that quickly.

I am by no means in the loop with the IT dept, but I think it has been in the works for a great while. A brief check of the webpage showed some new features. Overall it seems to be an updated template with a few new bells and whistles. It is by no means on par with the DMU webpage.

Still though..it does look a lot better!!!

Sorry for bumping a nearly year-old dead thread, but this is pretty comical.

I think it was widely accepted that DMU had the nicest website of all the pod schools. Well, they just got a new one! It's now even better!

Some of you other schools should take a hint! :cool:

TUSPM is supposed to be coming out with a new site in may. Which nice, bc like everything else at the school, it is getting a much needed face lift

TUSPM is supposed to be coming out with a new site in may. Which nice, bc like everything else at the school, it is getting a much needed face lift

Wait, are you saying Temple IS getting renovated or that it should??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

getting a new site for sure. other stuff is on the agenda

RFU is kinda meh. Not particularly bad or anything but some stuff can be tough to find.

IMHO temple needs to update their website ASAP. I personally find it to be terrible.

I made better websites in my 8th grade tech class than the current Temple website. I just did an internet archive search and their web page has had the same basic set up since 2009.

But seriously I'm really glad they are updating it, the website doesn't represent the program at all.