Podcasts for Commutes

Started by bararaboi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bararaboi

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll keep this short and simple: I recently started a research opportunity that entails somewhat of a long commute. Can anyone recommend podcasts I could listen to? I just finished my M1 year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
white coat investor podcast

Does the white coat investor podcast go into detail about financial managing techniques pertinent for medical students too? Or is it more geared towards doctors who have finally transitioned into the money earning period of their careers?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I second pardon my take for sports/entertainment and undifferentiated med student if you want to learn about a couple interesting specialties
 
I have a fairly long commute, and I listen to more comedy and politics than anything medically-related. So, I would suggest The Daily from the New York Times for a quick 15-20 minute world news update, and Pardon My Take/Pat McAfee Show for sports comedy. If you want straight sports talk then Colin Cowherd's 'The Herd' or Mike and Mike.
 
I have a fairly long commute, and I listen to more comedy and politics than anything medically-related. So, I would suggest The Daily from the New York Times for a quick 15-20 minute world news update, and Pardon My Take/Pat McAfee Show for sports comedy. If you want straight sports talk then Colin Cowherd's 'The Herd' or Mike and Mike.

Many of the major newspapers also do nice pieces on Spotify. They do their reports of each topic in 10-15 minute segments that you can skip through or choose one by the track name


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Not exactly a podcast, but I always enjoy ZdoggMD's stuff on youtube. Against Medical Advice, Incident Report, etc.
 
Appreciate the recommendations here... I've been a die-hard fan of the Adam Carolla network of podcasts, but I got a podcast app and will start checking some of these out for variety.

Made it through the first season of Serial today - very interesting.

My recommendation would be The Weekly Infusion, hosted by Dr. Drew Pinsky (of Loveline fame) and an ED physician discussing a variety of issues which are generally related to medicine, some more tangentially so than others.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not a podcast, but "WireTap with Jonathan Goldstein" from the CBC is like a comedy This American Life/Radiolab: essays and interviews interspersed with phone skits.
 
Last edited:
I have a fairly long commute, and I listen to more comedy and politics than anything medically-related. So, I would suggest The Daily from the New York Times for a quick 15-20 minute world news update, and Pardon My Take/Pat McAfee Show for sports comedy. If you want straight sports talk then Colin Cowherd's 'The Herd' or Mike and Mike.
"Dan Lebatard Show with Stugotz" is king of sports talk/comedy. They're big on inside jokes so you'll have to listen for a bit to really get into it but now it's arguably the best 90mins of my day.

Also recently started listening to NYC Crime Report with Pat Dixon. Super dark/offensive comedy if you're into that sort of thing
 
If you're interested in surgical residency at all, or just academic medicine. Check out the Rocky Mountain Surgery podcast.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My current faves: the Read (pop culture) & A Killing on the Cape (murder mystery).
IDK where I've been the past many years but I recently discovered podcasts and they are a true game changer.
 
The Curbsiders. Great internal medicine podcast I started listening to during my intern year. Very engaging and valuable for anyone M1 and beyond.