Podcasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Traumaturtle

Future Trauma Surgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there listens to any medical podcasts. I know a few doctors that do and although their recommendations probably with the best of intentions, I can't understand half the stuff that they are saying! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll save the shameless plug for the very end, but let me give you a few that I have come across in my research while trying to figure out how I wanted to structure mine.

First off, I guess it depends on what type of medicine that you are interested. Do you have any idea or are you just wanting something generic?

The Dr. David Geier Show - This is a great show that is released every Monday. If you are a sports nut as well as enjoy medicine, I think you'll really like this episode. He is VERY easy to understand but isn't afraid to use medical vernacular. Also, every week he talks about sports stars and their recent injuries. This is one that I listen to every week!

EMCrit Podcast - Dr. Weingart is VERY well known in the Emergency Medicine podcast world. His podcasts are very informative though may be a little over the head of people that are just starting in medicine. One thing that I really like about his podcasts is that his opinions are very well rooted in literature, yet he is consistently challenging the way Emergency Medicine practice. This is a good podcast to listen too, especially if you are interested in EM, however it may be a little tough to follow if you are new to the game.

A Gobbet O' Pus - If you only have a few minutes to listen, this is great way to pick up a bit of good knowledge! Most episodes are only 5-6 minutes long, but don't let the length fool you! Each episode is jam packed with information from the world of Infectious Disease.

Ultrasound Podcast - This is actually a video podcast so it may be a little tougher to listen to on the go. Sometimes the capacity of the ultrasound is often underused, but these guys are determined to change that! Subject matter is fairly broad and easy to enjoy!

The Lost In PreMed Podcast - I'm not going to shamelessly plug this too much, but I would like to throw my name in the hat while you are searching for something to listen for. This podcast is targeted at premed students to help them through the riggers of the premed journey. The show touches on everything from MCATs and interviews to volunteering and shadowing. There is also a medical term every episode as well as other little anecdotes.

Whatever you take the time to listen too, I think it will benefit you to get in the culture of medicine. Although it may be a little overwhelming, listening to what the "big boys" listen to could help you in the long term. Who knows...it may be a little inspirational too!

Onwards!

I listen to LostInPreMed and The Pre-Med Podcast by Dr. Dan. Both are great shows!

I listen to LostInPreMed and The Pre-Med Podcast by Dr. Dan. Both are great shows!

Thank you for the kind words! It's nice to know that my work is being accepted fondly!

I've listened to Dr. Dan and I think that he gives a very good prospective on the premed journey. He has one of the podcasts that I have listened to for guidance and inspiration. He also offers a paid service which among things gives you the ability to receive his audio files via snail mail.

ERcast and ToxTalk are good ones!

ERCast is another one of the shows I try to follow as much as I can. Dr. Rob Orman is another one of the EM podcast giants. He and Dr. Weingart team up fairly often on each others' shows as well as do some pretty entertaining stuff for Mel Herbert's EMRap.

Again, sometimes this stuff can be a little thick, but if you are willing to sit through it, you'll be better for it in the end!

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. It may take awhile but I will try and go through all of the recommendations.

To answer LOSTINPREMED's questions, I would really like to find a surgery podcast but I'm not sure how much of it I would understand. Maybe a few of your recommendations will be just what I need! I think I'll try the premed ones first

If anyone else has any recommendations, keep them comin'!

I would really like to find a surgery podcast but I'm not sure how much of it I would understand.

I was looking in iTunes under "Higher Education" (which I think is a subcatagory of "education") and saw a Surgery101 podcast. The icon in black and white animated masked surgeon coming at you with two scalpels. I haven't actually listened to it, but only because I haven't had the time since finding it. I plan on taking a listen soon.

If anyone else has any recommendations, keep them comin'!

I found another podcast on the recommendation of a doctor that I follow on Twitter. Check out RadioRounds.org when you have the chance. This podcast is a little unique because it is put on by medical students and is targeted to med students.That may be just enough to bring it down to your level, but also challenge you enough to see where you need to be in just a few years!

Good luck!

I was looking in iTunes under "Higher Education" (which I think is a subcatagory of "education") and saw a Surgery101 podcast. The icon in black and white animated masked surgeon coming at you with two scalpels. I haven't actually listened to it, but only because I haven't had the time since finding it. I plan on taking a listen soon.

I found another podcast on the recommendation of a doctor that I follow on Twitter. Check out RadioRounds.org when you have the chance. This podcast is a little unique because it is put on by medical students and is targeted to med students.That may be just enough to bring it down to your level, but also challenge you enough to see where you need to be in just a few years!

Good luck!

Very interesting finds!

Thanks trauma radiorounds looks quite promising.