Podiatric Surgical Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Army Captain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Army sponsors a 36-month podiatric surgery residency at Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Applicants must have a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM). Officers enter the program in the rank of captain and incur an 84-month active duty obligation (including the 36-month residency).

Interested, please do not hesitate to contact:
Christopher E. Cheagle
CPT, MS
AMEDD MSC Career Counselor
2201 Route 38 East
Suite 105
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
856-414-4950 (office)
877-384-5372 (cell)

Members don't see this ad.

The Army sponsors a 36-month podiatric surgery residency at Womack Army Medical Center, Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Applicants must have a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM). Officers enter the program in the rank of captain and incur an 84-month active duty obligation (including the 36-month residency).

Interested, please do not hesitate to contact:
Christopher E. Cheagle
CPT, MS
AMEDD MSC Career Counselor
2201 Route 38 East
Suite 105
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002
856-414-4950 (office)
877-384-5372 (cell)

Do they repay any of the student loans?

I thought it was interesting the way the armed forces view podiatrists. I see it as a government perspective as in there is slow change and they can pay an ortho guy to do all of the stuff instead of hiring an additional pod however, when need be the pod scrubs in to many surgeries he would never routinely see in civilian life.

Anyways, I went to the airforce meeting because if you think about it, it isn't that bad in some circumstances. They cover your food and housing costs and then maybe you get whatever a month for spending money (they say something like you get 60,000) well take out housing, food, and the other essentials that are there and you still have to pay back your loans in almost every program. The Air Force at the time was offering 1 tuition year paid for but the others weren't. I just can't find the relevance in working for the armed forces as a pod when you basically take any extra money for 'spending' and put it towards loan repayment other than knowing you're serving your country. The different branches will offer different credits different years depending on what they think they need so PAs or PTs and DPMs may be offered anywhere from 0-2 years paid for (as far as the recruiter said)

The recruiter talked it up and everything and for doctors it isn't too bad. You end up making maybe about 100,000-120,000 because you get a nice 'doctor' bonus on top of the other pay AND they will cover all tuition costs as I'm sure everyone on here is aware of. Work for them 4 years, quite if you want and don't worry about tuition.

For how much time and money I am putting in my degree and what they offer, I just didn't find the programs worth it but I would be interested to hear the details about the residency in how it may differ and what is offered from it.

I was at Fort Bragg when i was active duty and Womack Army Hospital is REALLY REALLY NICE. They completed a major building and remodeling a few years ago and it's by far the most advanced medical center I've ever been in. Based solely on the amount of paratroopers that break feet and ankles during jumps, you'd see alot of surgical variety. Fort Bragg and Pope AFB is by far the nicest and cleanest installation I've ever been to. Fayetteville is a dump though.