Jan 13, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello all, so I've posted in this forum before! I am still deciding on whether to pursue osteopathic or pursue my passion for podiatry. Anyway, is podiatry becoming a more surgical field of medicine or less of a surgical field of medicine? I know some states allow ankle surgery, but what about fore and rear foot? Last question, how often/common are podiatrists able to detect early signs of diabetes or any other health problems?

OP
M
Jan 13, 2015
Status
I do, but there is very little to no time to "chat"

OP
M
Jan 13, 2015
Status
He sees 20 patients in 2-3 hours that I'm there. He's very fast and proficient. His experience and work ethic really shows and his patients love him, I do not know how he does it. The only questions he asks me are: "How's school?" "How's the podiatry club?" And the only things I've gotten to ask him are about his procedures and to review to show to him that I was paying attention. I think I should shadow another one perhaps?

D

dyk343

Probably my best bet, I'd say! Hey dyk343, how much surgery on average do you perform a week?
3-5 cases/day on average. Some days are heavier, other days are lighter. Some are longer cases. Others are short. Usually average 0-2 longer reconstructive cases/day and 2-3 smaller cases. Some days I have no cases but that is rare.

But I'm a resident... When i'm done it will sadly be much less. Most of my attendings are in clinic 3-4 days a week and surgery 1-2 days a week. Its not all fun and surgery on the outside.... There is this thing called clinic... For any profession.

OP
M
Jan 13, 2015
Status
3-5 cases/day on average. Some days are heavier, other days are lighter. Some are longer cases. Others are short. Usually average 0-2 longer reconstructive cases/day and 2-3 smaller cases. Some days I have no cases but that is rare.

But I'm a resident... When i'm done it will sadly be much less. Most of my attendings are in clinic 3-4 days a week and surgery 1-2 days a week. Its not all fun and surgery on the outside.... There is this thing called clinic... For any profession.
Very nice. I can understand that definitely after residency. It all depends on the patients that walk in your office/group/hospital. I'm sure podiatrists enjoy doing surgery sometimes or most of the time, but podiatry isn't just a surgical specialty.

D

dyk343

Very nice. I can understand that definitely after residency. It all depends on the patients that walk in your office/group/hospital. I'm sure podiatrists enjoy doing surgery sometimes or most of the time, but podiatry isn't just a surgical specialty.
No surgical specialty is solely a surgical specialty. Every surgical specialty has this thing called clinic. Doesnt matter if you're a vascular surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, general surgeon, cardiothoracic surgeon, podiatric surgeon, etc, etc. We all have to see patients pre and post operatively as well as non-surgical consults.

Reactions: mattjgold
OP
M
Jan 13, 2015
Status
No surgical specialty is solely a surgical specialty. Every surgical specialty has this thing called clinic. Doesnt matter if you're a vascular surgeon, orthopedic surgeon, general surgeon, cardiothoracic surgeon, podiatric surgeon, etc, etc. We all have to see patients pre and post operatively as well as non-surgical consults.
Right... In the near future, when you establish a practice or work for a hospital or group, do you expect to see a fair amount of surgical cases? Obviously, not every case will require surgery since there will be patients who just need nail clippings, wound care, orthotics, basic fractures, etc. Also, how often do you get to treat lower extremity trauma cases as a resident?