Podiatry Externship Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2013DPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd yr pod student (Class of 2013) looking for suggestions of places to apply to for externships. I would just like to get some people's input.

Pertinent information is:

GPA: 3.793/4.0
Interested in programs with high surgical numbers (forefoot, rearfoot, and ankle!), a strong foundation in internal medicine, some research/presentation, and preferably with a good reputation, but "hidden gems" are good too.

I am from the Chicagoland area, but I am willing to go just about anywhere. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a good reputation and really high surgical numbers then you most certainly are going to have to look outside the Chicago area (w/ few exceptions).

From what I can tell, Inova fits your requirements the best.

If you're looking for straight numbers, and less IM and prestige, the Franciscan Milwaukee program will definitely fit the bill. DMC has a good rep with great numbers as well.

If you want a lot of IM, good reputation, and decent/average caseload with some very complicated and interesting cases thrown in, look at Penn Presby.

For those people who are very self motivated, a wider range of programs will work. At less intense programs, they could still manage to push themselves to do research, read extra all the time, and become a great F/A surgeon.

Some people (like myself) are NOT self motivated. They can be downright lazy as f@%^ if given too much slack, and if not given the proper structure and "push" (read "kick in the @$$") they will not realize their true potential.

If you're not sure what kind of person you are, or you don't know what kind of program you really want, then schedule different types of programs so you can find out for yourself.

At the risk of being annoying, you should really ask 4th years about the programs they visited. Ask what a typical day is like, how many attendings are there, how many quality attendings, how many times do residents double scrub cases. More importantly: how confident/skilled/prepared are the senior residents? How does podiatry get along with orthopedics? do they have a F&A orthopod on staff? How often do they have academic meetings and did you learn anything? (IMO, rep dinners don't really count as educational. It might help you a bit if you really ask questions, but it's far from academic because the only "research" the reps usually present is skewed to favor their product)

Hope this helps