Externship resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGlycoProtein

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of us are approaching externships, I wanted to ask what resources you all used to prep for cases, clinic, and pimp questions, or resources you wished to use. Of course there is McGlamry, Crozer, PRISM, etc, but has anyone used The PI Manuals, Foot and Ankle Secrets, or any others?

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a student a decade ago, one of the most useful books I read was Warren Joseph's Handbook of Lower Extremity infections. It's too easy to pimp students about infectious disease. While the volume and complexity of surgery varies from residency to residency, we all ride the pus bus, so don't forget your handbook! Such a shame there's no 4th edition and the 3rd editions are surprisingly pricey!

Reactions: 1 user
Use Crozer for pimp questions. 99% of everything I was asked during externships came from that book. PRISM is geared more towards interviews, but I also used it during externships because of how organized it was. Get the Remastered version. For case preps, McGlamry’s was overkill; I got by with class lectures and OrthoBullets.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read before cases, I used OrthoBullet and Foot and Ankle Surgery Academy/Youtube videos. Be up to date with the director's papers - those are easy points and you will look good. Know classifications and trauma work up for trauma cases, Crozer and Watkins have good chapters on it. Know anatomy cold, those are the easy pimp questions (you don't want to struggle on anatomy questions), Watkins/Prism/Crozer or your LEA classes should be fine for this. Mann's or McGlamry are overkills for most programs, but I got asked surgery specific questions which I could find on these two books. Know infections/antibiotics well too and brush up on easy lidocaine/anesthesia questions. All resources mentioned above are great, use what is best for you! If you read before your assigned cases, know how to work up an X-Ray and know what I mentioned above, you should shine at every program. Just be on time and be ready to help. There are also a bunch of Pimp Questions on Quizlet, those were helpful too. Feel free to reach out for specific resources.

I’ve just started to see PocketPimped Podiatric Surgery circulating while on externships. Looks new. Questions range from simple to complex. Conveniently fits in white coat and scrub pocket for quick review sessions. For $50 would highly recommend it, just ordered mine.
Lol, thanks for making an account to promote it.
The PI manual has pictures and is much better for the money.

Crozer is good and free for ask/answer academic questions... and some interview food for thought in the end.

The best extern resources are journal articles (JFAS, FAI, etc), current and classic... most good residency programs will give you a reading list, and be sure to read what their director and main attendings publish (abstracts at minimum, full article if interesting, chapters they've done).

• Haha
i think for students, understanding the dissection and exposure is the highest yield study topic cus attendings will often ask about structures, bonus points if you know which direction they usually are retracted to get exposure. Orthobullets does a great job of being succinct with the exposure steps, and I’ll review it every now and then for exposures that I don’t do often, plus it’s free.

I read both volume of Mann's because I wanted a solid foundation. For case prep I used Easley.

I don't feel like anything else was as in depth and provided the necessary foundation. I don't regret putting all that time into it.

Lol, thanks for making an account to promote it.
The PI manual has pictures and is much better for the money.

Crozer is good and free for ask/answer academic questions... and some interview food for thought in the end.

The best extern resources are journal articles (JFAS, FAI, etc), current and classic... most good residency programs will give you a reading list, and be sure to read what their director and main attendings publish (abstracts at minimum, full article if interesting, chapters they've done).
I used pocket pimped orthopedics last year. Foot and ankle ortho wrote a really great section and it made for good talking points on clerkship., i definitely think the ortho one is worth reading. Can't say anything about the podiatry book though. it could be hot garbage.

I used feet by flowers+crozier+prism.

Important to know that some info in crozier is outdated. Doesn't matter as much for podiatry but on off service rotations i've been corrected on a few different principles.

I would pick one main resource, PRISM/Crozer/Watkins…they basically all cover the same material (give or take) so I always tell people just pick the one you like the most.

Then to supplement what I did was orthobullets and YouTube videos/VuMedi (free) videos for cases.

And as mentioned above reading articles about the case or a topic you aren’t familiar with. See a flatfoot recon patient in clinic and don’t know what’s going on, read a few articles about it(that’s what I did which I think really helped me brush up on things I didn’t understand well)

Attendings/residents on this forum, are there any “classic” articles you’d recommend all externs read during 3rd/4th year?

Watkins and crozer, specifically the sections that go over different procedures. Don’t waste your time learning about the medicine stuff you see in those books. It’s better to just know about the different surgeries. As a student, just spend the night before a specific surgery taking notes about it from mcglammery, podiatry institute, or the AO website for trauma.

Know how to suture skin and hand tie. Be helpful in the OR (set up, call for the retractors, cut down the drapes when time, know how to hold the leg for a splint). After cases you don’t have to follow the resident around always, you can hang in the OR to help setup.

As long as your knowledge is average, personality/fit is what sets you apart.

When people say Watkins - are people really telling students to prepare for clerkships with "Pocket Pod" or is this a different resource?
Yes, that's what the youngsters do now.

Back in my day, that Pocket Pods book was something basic that you'd have read a few times over by early 3rd year local clinics... then on to significantly more in-depth and current stuff (journals, texts) by clerkships. We had to cut toenails a foot long, and it was an uphill walk to clinic, both ways.

...to answer orig question, at most better residencies, you will have to do a bit better than Pocket Pods. It's a start, but more 3rd year pod student intro level than actually enough for any decent externship (they'll be pimping you on XRs, adv imaging, bugs and drugs, current procedures and literature... basically stuff they're teaching and studying for boards themselves).