Podiatry Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

itsallgood19

Hey guys, just want to inquire about how some of you are going to tackle the PS for the upcoming pod app.

Fortunately (yet unfortunately) I have many family experiences that award me the leisure of writing about personal anecdotes in my PS, but is this too generic? I've heard that adcoms always read about all these life tragedies and might find them kinda unoriginal or something, but I really want to write about family experiences with lower extremity problems and my observations shadowing to tie both into the reason I want to go pod.

What do you guys think? I feel that pod is very specific as opposed to MD/DO that I'm tempted to write more on personal experiences, but others have warned me that this kind of writing is usually seen by adcoms all the time. Will it really make or break my application?

Thanks for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine with that personal statement. I think having personal family experiences that relate to podiatry and why you want to pursue this as a profession can make a good statement.

You should be fine with that personal statement. I think having personal family experiences that relate to podiatry and why you want to pursue this as a profession can make a good statement.

I'm with ldsrmdude. The adcoms want to see your dedication to the field and I think this will do a lot for your PS. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just want to inquire about how some of you are going to tackle the PS for the upcoming pod app.

Fortunately (yet unfortunately) I have many family experiences that award me the leisure of writing about personal anecdotes in my PS, but is this too generic? I've heard that adcoms always read about all these life tragedies and might find them kinda unoriginal or something, but I really want to write about family experiences with lower extremity problems and my observations shadowing to tie both into the reason I want to go pod.

What do you guys think? I feel that pod is very specific as opposed to MD/DO that I'm tempted to write more on personal experiences, but others have warned me that this kind of writing is usually seen by adcoms all the time. Will it really make or break my application?

Thanks for any input!!

I would avoid a lot of flowery language. What I like to do is the "elevator speech." Basically, pretend you are on the elevator with the head of the admissions committee and you have 30 seconds to pitch to him/her why you should be admitted.

Also, I sometimes have trouble starting when faced with a blank paper so I would hit the recorder program on my computer and just pretend like I am talking to the admissions committee. It helps you get some ideas.

Another note, don't go all far fetched like " I want to create a organization that will set to heal clubfoot in underserved areas of the world" Or "My mom broke her foot and it made me want to heal others just like the Pod healed her foot". lol Just be real and sincere about why you want to do pod.

Yeah don't freak out about it, write whatever you want. Scholarship is typically based on MCAT/GPA and offers of interviewing are typically extended for the same reason. I think the PS is used primarily to generate interview questions.

Write from the heart, because they will ask you about your statement at some point in the interview process, and if you don't really know what you wrote/just wrote something that sounds good they will know. Be yourself, that's what these schools want to see out of you. Plus, it's a great conversation starter.