Podiatry Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LDutch

An MD Hopeful
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-

Anyone know what happened to the podiatry thread?

(did it die to lack of posting/interest?)

Members don't see this ad.

It's been integrated into this one, along with RNs, NPs, PAs, and PTs... :)
...they were all merged to streamline SDN to its main focus (MD/DO, etc.) and to consolidate these less active forums.

Duly noted.

There are just no active podiatry threads out there...

Seems to me it's a dying profession, which is sad on some level.
We need some aspiring foot and ankle surgeons! ACFAS represent, yo!

Members don't see this ad :)
LDutch said:
Duly noted.

There are just no active podiatry threads out there...

Seems to me it's a dying profession, which is sad on some level.
We need some aspiring foot and ankle surgeons! ACFAS represent, yo!

Applications shot up this year and a new school was opened. The forum only had a few regular writers such as myself and a slew of thrash-talkers so I guess that is why it was closed. Anyways, the foum never accurately represented podiatry in any shape. The field is definetly not dying, it is actually growing. Pods are definetly getting surgical training in residencies these days and working in orthopedic groups because the economic value is seen.

Definately not a dying field, just not an active forum.

Unfortunatly for the forum, a fair number of the people posting there really didn't have anything to do with podiatry.

I don't mind answering some questions from time to time, but I am way to busy to spend time with garbage.

Why is DPM in Allied Health and not in the Doctors in Other Health Professions forum?

;) I can't wait to be a podiatrist.. I am in the middle of applying right now.. I want to go to TUSPM!!!!! I LOVE it there!! The field is unrecognized and it's such a shame... it's such a wonderful profession.. there aren't enough words to describe how much this profession means to me, and I can't wait to be known as one!!! :love:

DPM2Bee said:
;) I can't wait to be a podiatrist.. I am in the middle of applying right now.. I want to go to TUSPM!!!!! I LOVE it there!! The field is unrecognized and it's such a shame... it's such a wonderful profession.. there aren't enough words to describe how much this profession means to me, and I can't wait to be known as one!!! :love:

I was just there this past weekend for an interview...what a nice bunch of people. Scholl is my first choice but if I get into both it would be a hard decision. I just hope I get in somewhere. My GPA is a bit low so we shall see. I totally feel the same way as you do about the profession. I absolutely cannot wait to be one myself!! Good luck with your interviews! :D

Scholl absolutely has one of the BEST facilities compared to the other DPM programs. I was truly impressed with the quality of the education and integration with the medical students.

sailnwindy said:
I was just there this past weekend for an interview...what a nice bunch of people. Scholl is my first choice but if I get into both it would be a hard decision. I just hope I get in somewhere. My GPA is a bit low so we shall see. I totally feel the same way as you do about the profession. I absolutely cannot wait to be one myself!! Good luck with your interviews! :D

almost 90% who apply get in. you can always switch around to different schools if you dont like the first one. i for one would not want to live in North Chicago or any of those other dumpy places like Waukegan. too bad they left the city.

jes

jessica123 said:
almost 90% who apply get in. you can always switch around to different schools if you dont like the first one. i for one would not want to live in North Chicago or any of those other dumpy places like Waukegan. too bad they left the city.

jes

Jes,

Do you have anything positive to say? You seem to enjoy bashing anything related to podiatry. It is perfectly fine to express your opinions about podiatry but do not add unqualified statements such as "dumpy places" to your posts, it makes you sound immature and negates any worthwhile opinion you may add.

+pissed+

sailnwindy,

SCHOLL is a wonderful school.

I could not be happier there! Moving from the city to the new facilities in North Chicago was a great decision b/c now they have facilities that are less than 4 years old and more accurately depict current and future technologies. Waukegan and parts of North Chicago may be rundown but the area around RFUMS is intimately associated with the Great Lakes Naval Station (which in and of itself provides substantial long term stability). In addition less than a mile south of the school is the city of Lake Forest, which boasts some of the most prosperous citizens in the Chicagoland area. Add to that the cities of Highland Park, Vernon Hills and smaller towns like Lake Bluff, Lincolnshire or Libertyville you will certainly not have to live in a "dumpy" place.

The association with the medical students (MD) is essentially in Gross Anatomy. We share lectures and labs with them and are expected to learn exactly what they are expected to learn. We also have Interprofessional teams which incorporate students from all programs at RFUMS.

Have you visited SCHOLL yet?

Kevin

jessica123 said:

jes

If you go to Scholl, no one says you have to live in God forbid, North Chicago or Waukegan...Jeez, lay off it. You could just live IN Chicago and commute if you wanted to...and even if you did live in the boonies, you get in a car or go to the Metra station and take a train into the city.

Who all said Scholl left the city...sure, the first two years are at RFUMS, but third year first semester, you're going around the city to do your CSP and some other clinics around town. Heck, I know some third years who did Sx this summer at several hospitals in Chicago. Your third and fourth years are pretty much in the city or wherever you choose to extern... Lastly, Scholl's facilities are way better than Temple's and offers the integration with other health professional students...

Take it as you will...but Scholl and Chi-town can't be passed up...

KmB247 said:
Jes,

Do you have anything positive to say? You seem to enjoy bashing anything related to podiatry. It is perfectly fine to express your opinions about podiatry but do not add unqualified statements such as "dumpy places" to your posts, it makes you sound immature and negates any worthwhile opinion you may add.

+pissed+

sailnwindy,

SCHOLL is a wonderful school.

Kevin

i was posting truthfull facts.wether it is positive or negative to you it is up to you, so stop being so paranoid. by the way, why does podiatry revel in associations with "troubled" medical schools? this place has a history of problems with accredidation.

just a thought!

jes

Members don't see this ad :)
RFUMS is on probation by LCME but Scholl is unaffected by this since their accrediting body is the CPME. The problems with RFUMS has always been there but with the new president, things are changing rapidly. Most of the problems were administrative, including the high tuition for the medical school, etc. Nothing was extremely serious and it wasn't like it cannot be fixed. In addition, some of the problems leading to their probation included people on the executive board and having some type of relations with the contractors for the new buildings. As I have said, these problems have been rectified and RFUMS will lose their probationary status. The president, Dr. Welch has revamped the school and is focusing on raising the standards of the school. Do some investigating on the school before raising the negative aspect of it's probationary status and you'll see it is not so serious. There have been many other medical schools with more serious infractions so don't jump the gun and think so negatively on RFUMS and Scholl's decision to merge with them.

box29 said:
RFUMS is on probation by LCME but Scholl is unaffected by this since their accrediting body is the CPME. The problems with RFUMS has always been there but with the new president, things are changing rapidly. Most of the problems were administrative, including the high tuition for the medical school, etc. Nothing was extremely serious and it wasn't like it cannot be fixed. In addition, some of the problems leading to their probation included people on the executive board and having some type of relations with the contractors for the new buildings. As I have said, these problems have been rectified and RFUMS will lose their probationary status. The president, Dr. Welch has revamped the school and is focusing on raising the standards of the school. Do some investigating on the school before raising the negative aspect of it's probationary status and you'll see it is not so serious. There have been many other medical schools with more serious infractions so don't jump the gun and think so negatively on RFUMS and Scholl's decision to merge with them.

so you think it is ok that the school sucks up to medical schools under probation? is that why you got out of podiatry school? why are you the only one defending a field you felt was not worthy of you?

here we are with the medical assistants, physical therapists, nurses, discussing a field that can not even exist without government handouts.

aint life grand! get out there and just do it!!

jes

jessica123 said:
so you think it is ok that the school sucks up to medical schools under probation? is that why you got out of podiatry school? why are you the only one defending a field you felt was not worthy of you?

here we are with the medical assistants, physical therapists, nurses, discussing a field that can not even exist without government handouts.

jes

If all of our thoughts and views are incorrect will you please provide us with the correct ones so we can understand your point of view?

I would really like to know what you feel about podiatry, not just one line potshots at the profession but a nice simple explanation and/or dialogue with others looking at the same situation you are.

I am going to ignore the last few replies...anyway...I have visited Scholl and I absolutely love it. I received my invite for an interview yesterday and I cannot wait to have my interview. If I get into Scholl does anyone have any comments as to where to live?
Jen

sailnwindy said:
I am going to ignore the last few replies...anyway...I have visited Scholl and I absolutely love it. I received my invite for an interview yesterday and I cannot wait to have my interview. If I get into Scholl does anyone have any comments as to where to live?
Jen

Wise idea to ignore jes, her comments tend to lean towards negativity to the profession. That is why I asked her to share her views.....

Anyway, seriously consider on campus housing a RFUMS. I hear it is fairly nice. There is also an apartment complex directly south of campus:

www.woodlandsongreenbay.com

Personally, I live too far away. Driving to class at 7:00 in the morning kind of sucks but I do it to minimize costs and it is also closer to where my fiance goes to school.

There is an abundant supply of rental housing in the north suburbs. My advice look at as many as possible, b/c they are all extremely different.

jessica123 said:

jes

Jes,
I'm not going to try to understand your hostility, but as the child of a podiatric physician, I would have expected more objective and well thought out responses from someone who is considering a career in health care. Instead, I get defensive and snide remarks when I offer some constructive criticism. If you had searched and/or paid attention to my other posts in the now defunct DPM forum, you would have found your answer. Remember, medical school and podiatric medical school is about learning, whether directed or self-directed. Why shouldn't I defend podiatric medicine. Without it, many people wouldn't be getting quality medical care for the lower extremity...

To all others,

Scholl is a wonderful school that chose to become part of the bigger picture and took hold of the opportunity to expand it's professional future. I have many friends who attend the school and are now PM2, PM3 and PM4 students. I also have family members who have graduated from Scholl as well. Good luck to those applying and you'll find that Scholl (SCPM) is one of the BEST.

I really dont understand the hostility going on in this forum. I look towards this forum for advise and when I read through the posts I just get really angry. I dont know, Im applying right now to schools and the whole process is somewhat stressful and I would just like to read some comforting information from those who are informed. To those of you who have given me some positive feedback I thank you a bunch please keep sending it my way...anyway...just wanted to add my opinion...

I was interviewed at TUSPM and accepted with a nice partial scolarship. I did a lot of research on the area and the school. The way things turned out at the last minute I bowed out and switched to PA for a variety of reasons. Please do not take this post as bashing the profession in anyway. I was very much into becoming a podiatrist, but there were too many factors that made PA a better fit for me. I actually moved to Pennsylvania and almost began the program-a big mistake that I will chalk up to life experience. So far I am in my second month at a PA program in CA and am very, very happy with my decision.

I found this forum by accident a few months ago. Perhaps some of you should talk to practicing podiatrists before bashing the profession. I have been in practice for 25 years in Phoenix, Az. I fully understand the evolution of podiatry including the turf wars, battles for hospital privileges, credentialing, education struggles, etc. Maybe you should look at the challenges in other specialties such as radiology, opthomology, physical therapy, chiropractic medicine, etc, before deciding that podiatry is a profession in decline (or whatever negative label that can be attached).
The only true test of the value of any profession is how its received by the public. In my practice the vast majority of my patients appreciate what I do for them. It leads to a rewarding, albiet tireing, work day.
Professional credibility and status is earned no matter what letters are after your name. I have the respect and referrals of a number of local docs. There is no better specialty for the care and treatment of foot pathology than podiatry. As the population ages the need become more acute. In the next 10 years there will be a demand for podiatrists with all the rewards that this situation brings. Best of luck to those of you with the will to succeed.

Docbrad said:
I found this forum by accident a few months ago. Perhaps some of you should talk to practicing podiatrists before bashing the profession. I have been in practice for 25 years in Phoenix, Az. I fully understand the evolution of podiatry including the turf wars, battles for hospital privileges, credentialing, education struggles, etc. Maybe you should look at the challenges in other specialties such as radiology, opthomology, physical therapy, chiropractic medicine, etc, before deciding that podiatry is a profession in decline (or whatever negative label that can be attached).
The only true test of the value of any profession is how its received by the public. In my practice the vast majority of my patients appreciate what I do for them. It leads to a rewarding, albiet tireing, work day.
Professional credibility and status is earned no matter what letters are after your name. I have the respect and referrals of a number of local docs. There is no better specialty for the care and treatment of foot pathology than podiatry. As the population ages the need become more acute. In the next 10 years there will be a demand for podiatrists with all the rewards that this situation brings. Best of luck to those of you with the will to succeed.

Thank you for that post. I just got into Scholl and Temple and all I have heard is how the field is horrible and not to go. I for on am extemely excited and will be attending Scholl regardless of the hostility on this forum. Thank you to all of those who have helped me out!!! :D

Hey, hopefully someone can give me some answers. I'm kinda new to this. I'm currently an RN looking for a career change and I think I might be interested in podiatry. I know the job description of a podiatrist, but my question is in regards to I guess the competativeness of these schools. Haven't been a nurse for that long,(just 26 years old) its really just not my thing. I graduated with a BA in psychology and after that got an AS in nursing. Combined GPA of about 2.9. Should I do anything to improve the GPA before applying or what? Like I said I kind of new to the process and would like some imput. Am I a competative prospect? Thanks

buzz1848 said:
Hey, hopefully someone can give me some answers. I'm kinda new to this. I'm currently an RN looking for a career change and I think I might be interested in podiatry. I know the job description of a podiatrist, but my question is in regards to I guess the competativeness of these schools. Haven't been a nurse for that long,(just 26 years old) its really just not my thing. I graduated with a BA in psychology and after that got an AS in nursing. Combined GPA of about 2.9. Should I do anything to improve the GPA before applying or what? Like I said I kind of new to the process and would like some imput. Am I a competative prospect? Thanks

I hope I can help answer your concern. First off, with a 2.9, you will have no problem getting into Podiatry school. My wife is in podiatry school and she was below a 3.0 science and about a 3.2 overall. She did okay on her Biology subject test for GRE and still received acceptance. In my opinion, most of the podiatry schools are pretty easy to get into. My wife's friend got into Oakland's school with a below 3.0 overall and science gpa. In fact, she was accepted right on her interview date. You might be asking, "why is it easy to get in?" I have been conemplating that issue alot with my wife as well. We came up with the simple reason that Podiatry is not very popular, to say the least. There is this sort of notion that Podiatry is second to medical school and is not a "real" medical profession. HOwever, that is not to say that Podiatry is not a good field to get into. In fact, it was rated something like 11th best career according to some sources on the internet.

But, going back to your question again. You do have a competitive GPA and you should apply for next fall. My wife had the same concerns as you did and I'm convinced that Podiatry schools have a lower standard for acceptances than most other graduate schools. This is based on my opionion and what my wife and I haved talked about. Hope this helps. Please feel free to private mail me if you'd like.

I wouldn't worry too much about grades for podiatry school-the competition is just not there. Every year they are accepting less and less students, not due to grades, due to lack of applicants. So far from what I have learned they will take any qualified applicant, and some who are not quite qualified-many schools could soon be in danger of closing up shop if this trend continues. I would focus on knowledge and exposure to the profession. Try and contact podiatrists in your area. You need a letter of recommendation from a podiatrist anyway. I spent quite a bit of time shadowing podiatry and learning about the profession. Talk to as many podiatrists as you can-they are a wealth of information. I was able to get into the OR to see some foot surgeries first hand. Make sure you realize that there are only a handful of schools across the country and residencies are very competitive. You will want to strive for a 3 year residency if you can get it. Then you have the burden of starting out on your own once you are done and in all that debt. Plenty of people do it all the time-just not my cup of tea.

Podiatry school's admissions went up this year. There is a new school opening in arizona and since NYCPM joined to AACPM this year all the podiatry colleges in the country (7) are part of the AACPM and take the same application.

The reason that Podiatry school is not as selective as med school is that many people apply to medical school without ever hearing about pods or pod schools.

The only school that I heard was in trouble was california - I'm not sure about this it is just something I heard.

I forgot to add in my last post...

There are more residencies than graduating students every year. All the residencies are now surgical.

This is not meant to be mean but if you don't want to be competitive and work very hard then the medical field just might not be for you. So even if getting a residency was competitive it is just part of the field. Only the 3 year residencies end up being competitive.

Compare to med school though and at least you know from the first day of school that you will get a podiatry residency. Let's say you started med school thinking that you wanted to be an orthopedist. If you're lucky you'll get the residency that you want but there are so many unlucky people out there. A friend of a friend of mine ended up choosing a residency in the matter of minutes and ended up in OBGYN. I know that OBGYN is very rewarding.... But if it is not your dream or passion that would suck. And there are many people who wanted to do surgery and end up in Family Practice.

I'm not putting any of these professions down I'm just saying that it is nice to know what you are getting yourself into.

Also remember that all professions have their downs sides. So obviously there are problems in podiatry but there are people constantly working to improve the field.

One last thing - After residency there are many other things to do then just open your own practice although that is an option. Many pods end up working in a pod/ortho practice. Some end up in hospital staffs. Some buy older practices and a few (the minority) start from scratch.

buzz1848 said:

Well here is my 2 cents. I was just accepted at Scholl and Temple with a fairly low gpa. Slightly lower than the numbers you gave. I received interviews at all the schools except California (still dont really understand that...:( ) When I went to my interviews at Scholl and Temple they of course said my GPA could have been better but quickly brushed it aside. They focused on my research and more importantly my time spend with a podiatrist. If you get some quality time in with a DPM you should have no problem getting in. although I am not a big fan or most of the posts on this site I will admit that the competition is just not there when it comes to podiatry school applicants. However if it is what you want to do then go for it. I have spent alot of quality time with a DPM and absolutely love the profession. I hope that helped!! :D

Can some people currently in podiatry school or fixing to go post their messenger addy's or email addresses so I can talk you about podiatry? Im interested in going into to profession.. Thanks :)