Question about IA from freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guest1729

Reaction score
Hello,

so I’m going into my junior year of college, chemistry Major with a 3.9 GPA. No PCE yet but I am just considering PA right now. Twenty years old, this happened after I just turned 19.

for some context, I received an IA in the second semester of freshman year. I was given a test where I had to use my notes to complete the answers. I forgot that my notes weren’t in my own words, thus resulting in plagiarism. The professor understood that this was just a dumb mistake on my part, so I got a written reprimand (warning) and got to finish the class with a B (this was gen bio 1).
I know that this is really dumb of me, and I take responsibility for what happened. Since then I’ve changed how I take notes, and I know this will never again be an issue moving forward. Additionally, this fall im joining my school’s conduct committee, where part of what we do is give guidance to students who have committed honor code violations and how to avoid them in the future. So in summary, I know how to write about what happened on an application and how to find the bright side in all of this.

I was curious, though, as to how PA schools would generally view a case like mine. Obviously, if they were to just throw away all applicants with an IA, then I wouldn’t even bother. If there are any adcoms here I’d love to hear your input! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, I posted something similar a while back on the premed forum, where I got feedback from Goro and LizzyM (to my surprise, they were encouraging and told me this wasn’t a dealbreaker). I’m still on the premed track, but I wanted to make sure because obviously there will be differences in admissions between med schools and PA. I posted under a different account back then, I just forgot my password so I made this one.