Podiatry Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supercluster12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I plan on taking the MCAT in 2013, but still haven't decided which month I will take it. What is a good MCAT score to get acceptance into Podiatry school? Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like the average MCAT is going down for pod schools.

http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/AppStats/Historical_TRENDS.pdf

It's probably due to a fluctuation in the number of applicants. The average MCAT slowly rose until 2009 along with a steady increase in the number of applicants. A combination of a noticeable drop off in applicants (over ~100 fewer people applied in 2010 when compared to 2009, does anyone know why?) plus the fact that Western University DPM College opened in 2009 when applications peaked and they probably figured that applications would continue to grow steadily. Fewer applicants + More DPM seats = Lower MCAT averages

http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/AppStats/Historical_TRENDS.pdf

It's probably due to a fluctuation in the number of applicants. The average MCAT slowly rose until 2009 along with a steady increase in the number of applicants. A combination of a noticeable drop off in applicants (over ~100 fewer people applied in 2010 when compared to 2009, does anyone know why?) plus the fact that Western University DPM College opened in 2009 when applications peaked and they probably figured that applications would continue to grow steadily. Fewer applicants + More DPM seats = Lower MCAT averages
I guess this is not going to help the profession....

The MCAT doesn't make or break a profession. If the student in question makes it through school, all three steps of the boards, and residency then that is a ton of education and training that person just endured and completed. They should be competent enough to treat others. All others who can't make it will be weeded out.

The MCAT is simply a standardized exam...nothing more, nothing less. Would it be great if our MCAT avgs were on par with MD/DO? Yeah of course it would but if students are making it through school and completing the necessary training their low MCAT score doesn't matter anymore.

Well said.

(over ~100 fewer people applied in 2010 when compared to 2009, does anyone know why?)

To be honest, it's probably a bigger drop off than just 100 because I am pretty sure med school applicants rose significantly during this period due to the state of the economy.

I would attribute the 2010 dip to a residency crisis - converting all residencies to 36 month, Western starting a class, and an already over-saturated residency shortage probably fueled a trifecta of a perfect storm to get some people real nervous and not apply. Again though, i believe this crisis cut deeper than it looks at face value though.