Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Podiatry Research

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by calcaneus, Apr 12, 2007.

1. calcaneus

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    How important is research and/or publications for getting the best residencies?

When do you do research? Summer between 1st and 2nd year?

What kind of research is best? Clincial vs. basic science? Clinical pod research vs. basic science research in another field, e.g. micro?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depending on which school you choose, you'll have some darn hard classes in that first summer semester. At Barry, we have 5 classes including Immuno and Physio II (both pretty tough... I believe they each sent some people to the 5yr program or even home packing).

Also, besides still having hard classes, you may still have a tough time understanding some research terms and topics at that time. You will have just finished LEA, but you won't have had much path or radio yet.

I'd say that there really is no "ideal" time for research during the first two years; exams, boards, time to clear your head with excercise/hobbies, and the occasional much needed vacation basically take up every day. Your grades and knowledge of the subjects you are taught are of top priority. You definetly do not want to "rob Peter to pay Paul" here. Research is typically only done by students who are 3rd and 4th years - and sometimes a few younger students who are in very good standing.

I'd like to write more research or get involved with a project soon, but I'm nearing pt1 board exams, so that is where all of my free study time is going right now. Unless you want to take some time out of your spring/holiday/other inter-semester break time, you will probably have a tough time getting much research done as an underclassman. You don't have a good enough knowledge base as a 1st year, and you are swamped with pharm/path/boards in the 2nd year at most programs. If you would like to try research as a 2nd year, I'd recommend talking with some upperclassmen and seeing what you can do to assist them on a project (ACFAS poster, review, background, trial, etc). Doing a project of your own is probably a bit too ambitous for even most 2nd year students (exceptions might be a review or case report... with a faculty advisor). I'd say good grades are the focus of the first two years, though. Heavier club involvement and research are probably better saved for 3rd and 4th years in most students' cases.

I made a bit of an exception to the advice guidelines I just gave because I wrote a literature review early in this semester (it was an EC option to get up to an A after I got an 89% in a class last fall). I had to spend a good chunk of my Xmas break searching for and then reading many articles, and I finally finished the writing during the latter half of my spring break. I still haven't even submitted it for pub because I'm waiting on the professor who is proofreading it. It's a long process sometimes (then again, I have OCD when it comes to the writing :laugh: ).

At any rate, good luck, and keep your ears open for student research opportunities. It's a great way to advance our literature and become an expert in small aspects of podiatric knowledge one-by-one.

4. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Research is a great way to "separate yourself from the crowd." Other ways are grades and extracurricular activities. But only one of those will get your name into a journal. So I would say that it can be very important. CAN BE. It is a collection of factors that open doors with biggest one being grades. As Feli said, don't rob Peter to pay Paul. Don't waste time on research if you GPA is suffering.

When is it done depends on your project and your school. I would agree that a 1st year student does not have the foundation for clinical research. But they do have the knowledge for bench research (i.e. basic science research). At DMU, many students do bench research in between the 1st and 2nd year. You have the summer off and many positions are paid (this is true for research in between the 2nd and 3rd year also).

Clinical research is usually approached later into your 2nd year. I am a firm believer in a mentoring cycle which Feli eluded to. I think that a cycle of 3rd years mentoring 2nd years is best to have a sustained research environment. Many times a project cannot be completed in 1 students academic career, so this format is key.

Remember each school is different, Feli felt 3rd and 4th year are the best times, at DMU we are not on campus, so the end of the 2nd year and beginning of the 3rd year is the best time.

What is best depends on what you are doing. If you are doing basic science research on the chemistry of chronic wounds, that is great and very applicable to podiatry. If you are studying the breast cancer genetics, not as important to podiatry. The same is true for clinical research, it is topic dependent.

5. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    if this is all to get into a residency pick something related to podiatry or at least related to what you want to do in life - your end/ultimate goal.

you must have a passion for your research other wise it will feel like a chore. It should be something that you enjoy and want to find the answer to.

If you tell anyone ever in an interview that you do research or if you put it on your CV you must know your topic. You will get asked questions just to make sure that you at least read the papers that you published.

6. calcaneus

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Thanks for all the help and info from everyone! I'm working on my master's in microbiology/infectious disease right now, so I wondered about whether I should try and find some research that can utilize the knowledge and skills I've gained in molecular/cellular biology. But my end goal is to work in podiatry and do some type of research, so if doing micro isn't going to help me get to that then I would rather do something more directly related to podiatry.

thanks again

7. Feli

Feli ACFAS Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    On the topic of student research, does anyone have any idea what happened to National Foot and Ankle Review? I thought it was a great idea and seemed to be working well in that it got student research reviewed, edited, and published...

I've had a very hard time getting ahold of any of the editors, though. I tried contacting the editors of the 05-06 copy I have, but no replies. I asked the FPMSA officers at my school and they directed me former editors at CSPM (but no replies). I found a dead link to the journal on the APMSA site, and APMSA staff kindly told me in an email reply that the Cali school now handles the journal exclusively instead of having it rotate between colleges like it did successfully for many years.

I have been interested in being a student editor for articles as well as possibly submitting future research. All I can seem to find are dead ends, though. I've emailed Cali professors, deans, and former student editors... all with no reply. Does anyone, especially CSPM students, know anything? Has the journal gone by the wayside, or is it still around?

8. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I went through all the same chanels as you. The dead link, the pres of the APMSA, the director of the APMSA, a few of the APMSA reps that I know, my APMSA reps, then even the cali APMSA rep and nothing.

I think it may be defunt for this year at least.

Unless...

Cali may be keeping it under wraps so that only their classmates can enter...:idea: (sarcasm)

Try finding a mentor that publishes lots and see if you can do the background research for an article. This way you can do some of the work but your mentor can be located in a far off place.