Podiatry Satisfaction Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How satisfied are you with your decision to become a Podiatrist

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Dissatisfied

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 20 16.3%

• Total voters
How can ortho, derm, optho, and every real medical specialty self-regulate residency seats... yet podiatry cannot???
Maybe you just answered our question right there. Perhaps podiatry can limit residency seats but it can’t limit new schools from opening? This is a very good point @diabeticfootdr and I would like to know as well.

If the only recourse to saturation the profession has is to limit residencies while new schools open at will, then a lot of students are going to get screwed in the future and that will be heartbreaking and a bad, bad look for podiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
then a lot of students are going to get screwed in the future and that will be heartbreaking and a bad, bad look for podiatry.
no one besides podiatrists even notice what happens in the world of podiatry. If we can limit residencies I think we should limit them drastically. Do so by cutting out the ****ty ones. Then let the schools be forced to limit enrollment that way, or else just have a ton of unmatched applicants.

no one besides podiatrists even notice what happens in the world of podiatry. If we can limit residencies I think we should limit them drastically. Do so by cutting out the ****ty ones. Then let the schools be forced to limit enrollment that way, or else just have a ton of unmatched applicants.
Oh man. That should be a lawsuit on the making. 🤔.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that's what would happen if CPME actually did anything during these site visits for these residencies and schools. instead it's just a pat on the back and see ya in 5 years.

Yeah, they'd get their tuition money back if the schools close soon after graduating or are found to be incompetent (some Carrib MD schools, etc)... that's federal law. It would still be a sad situation, but that's how greed - both the schools and the students - usually works.

Limiting the DPM residencies is a good option. That's what respectable MD specialties do. Podiatry is not that.
We approve schools and seats without residencies to support them. Again and again.

...Perhaps podiatry can limit residency seats but it can’t limit new schools from opening? ...
Do you really believe this? That's false.
Why has any and every major USA university not opened a med school (MD degree) by now... and sent their number of $eat$ exponential until it's hard to even find a six figure MD job? Because they cannot. AAMC is responsible and logical, and the AMA works with them.

But those orgs can't stop the Caribb MD schools churning out poor quality or too many FMGs... and how has that turned out?
Podiatry chooses to not even regulate where they can... every pod gets the FMG struggles of saturation, match disasters, job struggles. How intelligent. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Maybe you just answered our question right there. Perhaps podiatry can limit residency seats but it can’t limit new schools from opening? This is a very good point @diabeticfootdr and I would like to know as well.

If the only recourse to saturation the profession has is to limit residencies while new schools open at will, then a lot of students are going to get screwed in the future and that will be heartbreaking and a bad, bad look for podiatry.

This is correct. CPME can’t stop schools from opening (I’m fine with that) but they could pass training standards that would limit the number of available residency seats. Here’s the reality that none of our “leaders” will ever own up to on here…

Podiatry made the decision to standardize training to 3 year surgical residencies. At the time, there were no where near enough programs/seats/attendings at teaching hospitals (you know, where real doctors almost exclusively do residency). But you had 500+ students that needed to have a 3 year residency. So the profession put itself at a crossroads. You either lower standards and allow private practice docs to run residency programs out of surgery centers, community hospitals, low tier VA’s in order to make enough spots for everyone who was already enrolled in school. Or you create more of a dental model with two tiers of residencies and graduates. One with a 1 year clinical internship for purely non op/office procedure podiatry and “foot and ankle surgeons” with 3 years. The profession chose option A. Personally, I have no problem with that decision. Here’s the kicker though, none of our “leadership” at the time had the balls to stick to a similar standard as our allopathic and osteopathic brethren. Because that would have caused some major pain for current students who ended up not getting a residency or maybe getting stuck with some non op/clinical program as the new 3 year mandate was phased in. They were too worried about student recruitment to do rhat. After all, they promised all of these incoming students they would be foot and ankle surgeons. However, had they maintained reasonable standards for residency training as we shifted to 3 year programs, we would have ended up with only 200-300 seats. There would be no Western, no LECOM, no UTRGV. And if they did try to open, maybe they outcompete trash schools like Sam Merritt and Berry and OCPM/Kent State. Either way, we would have legitimately bright students, low attrition rates (I believe the top couple hundred DPM students would get through med school, let alone Podiatry school), good training and we’d all be in greater demand for good jobs. Then, as we get plugged in to teaching hospitals, large health networks, etc. more quality training programs could open which would THEN allow new schools or additional seats to open. THAT is how a Podiatry education market economy would/should function.

But they won’t tell you any of that. They won’t admit to the mistakes. They won’t do what would be necessary to fix the problem. Because it would be difficult for people. And they can’t stand looking bad or upsetting their buddies at Temple and Scholl and NYCPM, etc…instead they blame SDN…🤡 *honk* *honk*

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Protect dtrack at all times before they Epstein him

Nothing I said should be controversial. It’s the truth. It happened. There were probably better ways to do it in hindsight. But just like politicians, nobody will admit they were wrong. We saw it with COVID. People had good intentions, but it turns out many aspects of the government policies were wrong. It’s ok to be wrong. What’s not ok is to refuse to admit mistakes and then refuse to correct any of them. It’s about “image” and “winning” at all costs. It’s cowardly.

I take offense you left nycpm off the trash school list!

• Haha

The other specialties don’t regulate their own residency spots.

MD/DO residency funding is capped by CMS. DPM residencies are not capped.

Reactions: 1 users
This is correct. CPME can’t stop schools from opening (I’m fine with that) but they could pass training standards that would limit the number of available residency seats. Here’s the reality that none of our “leaders” will ever own up to on here…

Well, CPME could just follow their own standards. They could take action against the schools who don’t meet the standards. (But Conflicts abound - take a look at who sits on the Council)

They could close unfilled residency programs, which are undesired. But they’ve put a moratorium on closing unfilled programs.

The profession could also address some of the problems brought up on this blog, even if they think it’s a perceived problem. Like provide more education on entrepreneurship, contracts, etc. They could address the low pass rate of one of the boards. Perhaps even put pressure on the non-willing party to discuss creating a single board, which is the desire of the profession.

I don’t think arbitrary caps and restrictions are helpful.

And just to be clear, I’m a proponent of the profession, of the new (maybe even better) schools, and of the opportunities in podiatry. Podiatry got me where I am today and I try to pay it forward by helping everyone, individually and as a whole, to achieve their fullest potential.

Reactions: 6 users

There are privately funded residency programs. Derm has some. Not to mention, residents have been shown to be revenue positive for the hospitals where they work even if you were to take away Medicare funding. Nothing is stopping anyone from creating an ortho residency without GME funding…except they would have to meet ACGME standards…

But, forgive my ignorance, what’s to stop a ton of neurosurg residencies from opening up? If they’re the highest paying, surely there’s much more demand than there are spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
But, forgive my ignorance, what’s to stop a ton of neurosurg residencies from opening up? If they’re the highest paying, surely there’s much more demand than there are spots.

No GME funding for it.

The hospital pays the residents. They get reimbursed by CMS. If there is no available funding, they won’t (for the most part) fund it at a deficit.

Well, CPME could just follow their own standards. They could take action against the schools who don’t meet the standards. (But Conflicts abound - take a look at who sits on the Council)

They could close unfilled residency programs, which are undesired. But they’ve put a moratorium on closing unfilled programs.

The profession could also address some of the problems brought up on this blog, even if they think it’s a perceived problem. Like provide more education on entrepreneurship, contracts, etc. They could address the low pass rate of one of the boards. Perhaps even put pressure on the non-willing party to discuss creating a single board, which is the desire of the profession.

I don’t think arbitrary caps and restrictions are helpful.

And just to be clear, I’m a proponent of the profession, of the new (maybe even better) schools, and of the opportunities in podiatry. Podiatry got me where I am today and I try to pay it forward by helping everyone, individually and as a whole, to achieve their fullest potential.

Some may not appreciate it but I for one as well as my friends who lurk here who are practicing are big fans of your posts on here and will be working on ABPM cert in a large factor because of what you say here and what you’ve done..keep up the good fight I think it is nice to have some positive voices on here who are willing to actually address issues that SDN brings up often

• Okay...
No GME funding for it.

The hospital pays the residents. They get reimbursed by CMS. If there is no available funding, they won’t (for the most part) fund it at a deficit.
Why would there be GME funding for a larger proportion of pods than ortho? That makes no sense.

Why would there be GME funding for a larger proportion of pods than ortho? That makes no sense.

It’s not a larger proportion. There is more funding for MD residencies, obviously. But there is no cap on starting new programs for podiatry because of a relatively recent federal law that limited GME funding, the sponsors forgot to name podiatry.

But there is no cap on starting new programs for podiatry because of a relatively recent federal law that limited GME funding, the sponsors forgot to name podiatry.
I assume that APMA, etc. lobby congress so that podiatry’s name continues to be “forgotten” in legislation limiting GME funding?

Podiatry: The Forgotten Red-Headed Step Child of Medicine
No no no you have it all wrong... It's not forgotten when you're a secret... The best kept secret bastard child. Like John Snow

• Haha
I believe my PD is making around 700-1mil at least from his practice but he directed all of his kids to do something else ( he has more than 5, youngest graduated undergrad already ). He told me podiatry is not worth it and it's getting worse. I didn't believe him until I know about his children!

Last edited:
I believe my PD is making around 700-1mil at least at from his practice but he directed all of his kids to do something else ( he has more than 5, youngest graduated undergrad already ). He told me podiatry is not worth it and it's getting worse. I didn't believe him until I know about his children!

That’s exactly right. For every pod clearing big bucks like this, there will be dozens of others barely scraping by making 100k. Because saturation. Because no control over opening more schools blah blah blah

That’s exactly right. For every pod clearing big bucks like this, there will be dozens of others barely scraping by making 100k. Because saturation. Because no control over opening more schools blah blah blah
So we all know that it's basically a rite of passage for new grads to get used and abused as they enter the job market.

Just curious how things change after 5 years in practice? 10 years? I know of many classmates who have fabulous incomes. I also have seen CVs of people who job-hop associate gigs. I know of people who scale down bigtime after only a few years on the job, maybe spouse has a good income, maybe they just don't want to work full time because they discovered they don't like podiatry. I've known two docs who work 2-3 part time gigs concurrently as opposed to being full time with any one business. One guy did that for something like 40 years!

Is bottom-tier income a feature of this profession for your entire career? Or is it just this profession's way of hazing residency grads before it eventually gets better?

So we all know that it's basically a rite of passage for new grads to get used and abused as they enter the job market.

Just curious how things change after 5 years in practice? 10 years? I know of many classmates who have fabulous incomes. I also have seen CVs of people who job-hop associate gigs. I know of people who scale down bigtime after only a few years on the job, maybe spouse has a good income, maybe they just don't want to work full time because they discovered they don't like podiatry. I've known two docs who work 2-3 part time gigs concurrently as opposed to being full time with any one business. One guy did that for something like 40 years!

Is bottom-tier income a feature of this profession for your entire career? Or is it just this profession's way of hazing residency grads before it eventually gets better?
It’s hazing… you have to work hard so you can haze the next gen.

View attachment 371794

Not sure how this is relevant to the discussion, but just wanted to add this to this thread since so many people are posting here, 69% pass rate over 3 years. Reaccredited until 2027

Part 1 is coming up July 7, let's see how the Niners do this year...

lol @heybrother meme of the year

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the bylaws to accommodate such abysmal board performance.

Whoever is from CPME reading this could you please step up and do your job.

Sincerely,
The Future of Podiatry

Is bottom-tier income a feature of this profession for your entire career
? Or is it just this profession's way of hazing residency grads before it eventually gets better?
I don't see it getting a whole better...
The debt is not getting lower.
The significant DPM saturation will get worse with more schools/grads.
Lending is still tough, credit is obliterated by the student loans.
A lot of the larger PPs that had some decent partner or even high(ish) earner associate jobs have gone to venture cap supergroups.
Hospital jobs are more prevalent than ever, but very few of them are full scope jobs (and most of those have 100 DPMs waiting to steal the job).
The limb salvage + "general podiatry" hospital jobs are there, but VA/IHS hospitals etc are opening much lower rate than DPMs, and the % who are "surgical" DPMs are increasing.

Just as it is now, the basic options for amazing DPM income are:
1 Own an office, make many more, have very many underpaid associates and/or sell out to VC.
2 Get a director title or similar and parlay it into as many industry payments for hawking industry implant products, grafts, lectures, fuzzy research for said products, lecture fees as you can.

Options for good income are:
1 Buy out or start a practice.
2 Get - and do not burn out at - one of the rare good DPM hospital jobs (very rare if you want to use full scope training).
3 Marry someone rich and then do whatever want for podiatry career (owner, employed, retire).

The medium income DPM options are:
1 Govt/small hospital work or pod school faculty work.
2 Find a rare ethical PP pod/MSG/ortho office that'll offer partner or high income and not stagnate your pay or dump you for a newer cheaper doc a few years in.
3 Try to politic your way to "admin" roles in a pod supergroup, MSG, hospital, etc (this could attain good hours... even be good income).

The low income are the ones DPMs know too well and the majority of DPMs (all ages) are doing on Monday:
1 Worker bee associate in podiatry or MSG group, supergroup, etc.
2 Mobile and nursing home podiatry.

...so, short answer = yes. An even higher % will be in the bottom lower income category. Many will bounce associate jobs their whole career. Quite a few already do. Awhile ago, I think the DPM owner/solo % was a lot higher (since loans were available, hospital jobs were rare and not as good). Right now, this is the heyday of DPM hospital jobs with the highest % of DPMs in them (sad but true, since those jobs aren't too common)... hospitals will continue to wise to our saturation and lower the pay on those and/or reduce open positions as they disappear further into basically networking-only, as many would say they basically are now. Hospital employ DPMs might only be 15% today, but it might be 12% and with same/lower pay/benefits in ten years with more supply of DPMs who want them. As tough as it is to say, the podiatry MGMA will likely stagnate... it already plateaued a lot lower than MD surgeons. Hospitals won't overpay if they don't have to; they see the applications numbers. Supply and demand rules... ask hospital PharmDs or read their forums... they opened up hospital jobs, pay improved, then basically faceplanted due to saturation of grads and applicants (be an appli-can!).

The new DPM grads will keep coming, and they have to go to work somewhere to pay the loans... worker bee associate, esp VC supergroup, is a common landing spot and will continue to be. The avg DPM now entering the job market is looking at ~$200-250k in today's dollars for their whole career. That's salary = half student debt (if they're lucky), which is generally the worst ratio deemed potentially acceptable. And when is the last time tuitions decreased? They go up much faster than salaries. And, of course, some outkick the avg... so many many are going to fall below the average.

The way to break the cycle and "beat the system" is obviously to do the employ thing, save up and be very frugal despite the massive loan payments, and start or buy your own. Some will do that... we did. Eventually getting those 1/10 hospital jobs (maybe 1/5 or 1/3 if good enough training or network) can also work. That solo office is getting hard to do, though. Metros were always saturated with DPM offices; supergroups made it even tougher. Now, suburbs and even some rural places are hard to break into. Even starting solo now takes a bit of a dice roll going into a saturated area, going more rural than one intended, or lucking out and taking a retiring doc's area/pts (a lot more DPMs graduating than retiring). It is still feasible to do solo, but it's no given that the DPM will do it anytime soon after training or have their pick of viable locations.

Last edited:
I’d be happy at 200-250k. That would be my sweet spot to be honest if I’m able to make that without call.

• Sad
I go on vacation for 1 week and come back home to this dumpster fire. Someone give me the TLDR

• Haha
I’d be happy at 200-250k. That would be my sweet spot to be honest if I’m able to make that without call.
Present day, any new grad can make that if they work supergroups or MSG or large groups and they see high volume and/or do the slimy wound grafts, overutilize testing owned by the group, DME, toenail laser, etc. That's probably average. It's not that you're in poverty, but depending on your personality, the fact that you are a cog in a crooked machine meant to biopsy toenails and put "grafts" on 2x2mm toe wounds might start to irk on your job satisfaction.

Averages are averages, though. For every new grad who gets a $220k VA job or a $300k real hospital job or has money (parents, hail mary loan, etc) to buy an office and make $300k immediately, there will be quite a few making $100k or $125k in TFP office, though. So, it's all averages.

In the future, if the VC supergroups have their way, it'll take a top half grad or even stupid "fellowship" with the group for a $60k year (compound debts) to even potentially get that $200-250k job. I would definitely predict that'll be about the average for new grads, though. It's not a solid future for the profession... the supergroups and HealthDrive stuff basically become the podiatry versions of what Walmart optical is to optometry or Walgreens and CVS are to PharmD grads. :)

I go on vacation for 1 week and come back home to this dumpster fire. Someone give me the TLDR
SDN regulars post a poll on podiatry satisfaction with a bunch of realistic but negative replies
Someone goes on Reddit and complains about how negative we are (in particular me)
APMA stooges storm the boards and spam the poll so it's painting a really rosy picture now
Solution: SDN regulars post a new poll

Reactions: 5 users
@Feli appreciate your thoughts at always.

My original question was about the podiatry "wage curve." We know new grads get raked over the coals by the job market. On average however, does it get better? There's no data on this and I assume it depends on being smart with your career moves. So maybe the question isn't answerable?

Example: someone starts working year 1 in private practice, is frugal, does not have a wealthy spouse. Geography is not too saturated but not too remote either. On average, how much better is this person doing 5 years later?

Maybe this is why the Deheers and Shapiros can come in here and tell us how wonderful it's been. Maybe they started out rough just like us but worked their way to the top, so maybe both sides of the debate are correct in their own way. :shrug:

@Feli appreciate your thoughts at always.

My original question was about the podiatry "wage curve." We know new grads get raked over the coals by the job market. On average however, does it get better? There's no data on this and I assume it depends on being smart with your career moves. So maybe the question isn't answerable?

Example: someone starts working year 1 in private practice, is frugal, does not have a wealthy spouse. Geography is not too saturated but not too remote either. On average, how much better is this person doing 5 years later?

Maybe this is why the Deheers and Shapiros can come in here and tell us how wonderful it's been. Maybe they started out rough just like us but worked their way to the top, so maybe both sides of the debate are correct in their own way. :shrug:

I don’t doubt that - I do see where the new positive posters are coming from. They did likely start out rough and low paying like we did and worked their way into where they are now. But why should entry level jobs still suck pay wise? That should be something fixed between then and now.

I do think a lot of insurance politics play into this too though. As mentioned before, gone are the days where insurance paid for orthotics, people got thousands for bunions and bread and butter cases, etc. If that wasn’t the case we would be getting paid like real doctors right now. I still find it dumb that an office visit pays more than a steroid injection and you can’t bill both at once unless it’s a new problem.

Last edited:
...Maybe this is why the Deheers and Shapiros can come in here and tell us how wonderful it's been. Maybe they started out rough just like us but worked their way to the top, so maybe both sides of the debate are correct in their own way. :shrug:
They both take a ton of checks and a good portion of their income from industry nonsense and "education" websites and similar after "publishing" in throwaway podiatry journals (present, pod today, PMgmt, etc... barely anything real, one lone case study in JFAS searching deheer... shapiro seems to just do the throwaways, but I could be wrong). Both did very average residency training (granted, far fewer good programs back in that day). It's a good job of parlaying industry to income and kudos to them, but that will never be the norm for most DPMs, particular new grads... they'll make their $ seeing patients.

Hughes, who also came onto SDN as a new account a day or two ago, runs a 1995 type office with two associates from training programs few people have ever even heard of in a very undesirable 20k small town halfway Detroit to Toledo. It was same thing, different associates back when I worked in that nearby metro area. It's basically a city with a sign I'd see driving from residency to Cedar Point park; it's not anyone's dream tourism destination. That could be within the norm for a modern day DPM grad, but it might be more telling if his employed associates would post to tell their satisfaction with podiatry and the ROI? The ownership as he did is within reach, but it is harder since more of those podunk towns are now DPM-occupied versus 30 years ago and lending is much tighter. If they have a decent industrial employer and insurance payer(s), that's a viable route. I am doing the same myself - but more surgical/sports and not milking associates. Again, not the norm... esp direct from today's DPM training.

I didn't really pay attention to the other new fluff posters singing the praises of podiatry... I think one stated they had a middle-of-the-road hospital gig, which is cool, not unachievable but also <20% of DPMs overall and probably <10% of new grads. Most grads would have to bumble at a lower level hosptial gig or PP employ, try to get ABFAS, then maaaybe hope for that 5yrs or further out of training.

LCR obviously does what LCR does... bounces around, stirs pots, makes waves, promotes podiatry and himself. He is as faaar from a typical DPM career and income sources as one could be... most NYC residency no ABFAS docs don't suddenly have the $ to land a top fellowship, try to run congress, make C movies, etc etc. I will leave that one as to where the $ came from well enough alone since I was suspended prior for posting what's public on the internet, but that's one of the more oddball stories in podiatry and not typical or "started out rough just like us."

...in reality, I think the best ppl to look to for clues and possible models are not the atypicals above. It's the DPMs with good hospital jobs, successful PP jobs associate or owner, etc. Those are your mean, median, etc. I won't out any of the many of them who are on SDN as they post here (or have in the past) semi-anonymously. A few are open, but again, not going to put any light on them as they don't ask for it as the above cearly do. Anyways, some SDN docs are RRA cert, ACFAS speakers, published in JFAS, residency or fellowship directors, etc. They all just help a lot of pts, many helped teach residents. Sure, a most won't turn down industry or speaker or employing an associate $ also, but that's not their main MO. I'd say that type of stuff is more the "work their way to the top" that I'd look for. That's just me.

Last edited:
  • Love
But why should entry level jobs still suck pay wise?
Could be a lemon problem.

We all graduate with the same PMSR residency credentials but on the hiring side no one knows any more about how smart/talented/tenacious the applicant is. This brings wages down. Then after a few years on the job, theoretically good docs would shine and mediocre ones would not, potentially leading to wage stratification with haves and have-nots.

I know this is kind of victim-blaming, because conceivably a good doc could get stuck in a bad situation and be professionally stifled and never have the opportunity to advance. Of course there's an obvious solution to this problem...

...We all graduate with the same PMSR residency credentials but on the hiring side no one knows any more about how smart/talented/tenacious the applicant is. This brings wages down. Then after a few years on the job, theoretically good docs would shine and mediocre ones would not, potentially leading to wage stratification with haves and have-nots.

I know this is kind of victim-blaming, because conceivably a good doc could get stuck in a bad situation and be professionally stifled and never have the opportunity to advance. Of course there's an obvious solution to this problem...
Yes, precisely. This happens all of the time. ^
I have seen highly talented docs doing ok but not spectacular, but some of that could be a family/location choice also.

The rich get richer (hospital/ABFAS or owner pods) and poor get poorer (associates). After a bit out practicing, the CV paints us into that corner.
I think the supergroups will absolutely magnify this: some docs are the hospital surgeons, most are the worker bees, some are owners.

I realized this a couple years into my career. I was close but did not get the hospital jobs (and did not want to go to the ends of the Earth for such).
I was working associate jobs in a highly saturated metro with many residencies and unlimited associate supply, limited income.
I did not have a parent DPM or the $ or credit for startup or buyout... and it was pretty saturated anyways.
I was stuck in the rut of associate gigs... I could stay at one I didn't really like and try for ABFAS which might open some hospital jobs.
I could be ultra-frugal and save to buy or open a PP.
It definitely becomes a "we are what we repeatedly do" situation. Many can't break the cycle.

The hospitals just tend to think an ortho is an ortho, derm is a derm, OB is OB, podiatrist is a podiatrist (and wow do a lot of those apply!!!).
Some PPs or supergroups care and might pay a bit more for better training/personality, and some just churn and burn... either way makes them money. The saturation and new schools is an increasing stifle to both income and job satisfaction. Again, just browse pharma and the chiro forums to see this... many are bright or ambitious, but they're sandbagged by the saturation + debt and the limited job opportunities.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hey @Feli I usually like your posts and about 99% of what you say on here. Just I would be careful going after the residency training of some of these attendings who have been in practice for decades+. At this point, it doesn't matter, and also hard for us to say what their training was actually like. Their actual real world experiences for the last 20 years probably trumps a lot of that now as well.

Hey @Feli I usually like your posts and about 99% of what you say on here. Just I would be careful going after the residency training of some of these attendings who have been in practice for decades+. At this point, it doesn't matter, and also hard for us to say what their training was actually like. Their actual real world experiences for the last 20 years probably trumps a lot of that now as well.
If they show up with new accounts (solicited) to brag and tell others how easy it is, I feel it's fine to say it is a different game and that their industry monies or associates or various sources of non-patient/collections incomes are not typical of young DPMs. I feel that's misleading.

It is not 'going after' to say that their training programs were average in their day (but many went totally unmatched or PPMR back then also). That's common knowledge. JFAS was the good/real podiatry journal then, and it is now. I'm glad for them if they make good income (and that's their goal), but only a fraction of that income is from seeing patients. They are clearly smart guys; it's not unwise to get crafty and make ancillary income. I won't apologize for my GOOG going up about 30% this month or two. We all know training or wit doesn't always correlate to income, especially for older DPMs. These days, with more hospital gigs and more DPM saturation, the correlation is getting higher, though.

But think about it, if I come in and tell you I make 500k when half of that is for some graft or brace or implants I put my name onto... and/or some associates who see the patients and I take a % of their collections, is that typical? Common? Expected for DPMs in school, residency, early practice? I'd say nope. Many podiatrists retire never having earned a dime from any of those things. The new accounts are fluffing podiatry income when they derive much of their own monies not from practicing podiatry directly. That smokescreen doesn't help somebody in training or a few years out pay their MASSIVE present day loans. That is all, and it's fine to say that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
The biggest problem for everyone in the future is nothing is going to be worth anything. Without touching on United, Aetna, S&W, Cigna etc who are all scum - consider simply Blue Cross Blue Advantage HMO.

The is BCBS's Texas plan on the healthcaregov exchange. If you make $30K a year as a single person (maybe more) - you can get this plan premium free. A person who makes $30K can get like a $400-500 premium subsidy which covers this plan. It requires referrals for specialists. Companies are switching to it because the montly premium for a BCBS PPO vs a BCBS BAV saves them about $200+ a month in premiums per employee at the rates I was given.

This plan pays substantially sub-Medicare for E&M. It pays right about/under Medicare for CPT. It pays a small premium for CPT done in an ASC.

As plans like this become more and more common there are going to be no lucrative visits unless you push non-covered cash services hard. All this talk of hard work is a losers game. You can do more but they'll just keep dropping the value of the services.

You can say you'll stop accepting it but this isn't just an Obamacare plan anymore. Its literally a plan companies are buying their employees. Its penetrance is increasing. I've had other plans in my area switch from being employer plans to being Obamacare plans. They slashed the rates when they converted.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The biggest problem for everyone in the future is nothing is going to be worth anything. Without touching on United, Aetna, S&W, Cigna etc who are all scum - consider simply Blue Cross Blue Advantage HMO.

The is BCBS's Texas plan on the healthcaregov exchange. If you make $30K a year as a single person (maybe more) - you can get this plan premium free. A person who makes $30K can get like a $400-500 premium subsidy which covers this plan. It requires referrals for specialists. Companies are switching to it because the montly premium for a BCBS PPO vs a BCBS BAV saves them about $200+ a month in premiums per employee at the rates I was given.

This plan pays substantially sub-Medicare for E&M. It pays right about/under Medicare for CPT. It pays a small premium for CPT done in an ASC.

As plans like this become more and more common there are going to be no lucrative visits unless you push non-covered cash services hard. All this talk of hard work is a losers game. You can do more but they'll just keep dropping the value of the services.

You can say you'll stop accepting it but this isn't just an Obamacare plan anymore. Its literally a plan companies are buying their employees. Its penetrance is increasing. I've had other plans in my area switch from being employer plans to being Obamacare plans. They slashed the rates when they converted.
So should we vote for any republican in 2024? (serious question)

• Haha
  • Dislike
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. As an example, my starting yearly salary in 1996 was about 40% or less of my student loan debt. My spouse was similar, except he had more debt, so say about 35%. We had 2 kids in daycare and times were definitely lean. By today's standards, 35% of $300,000 debt is $105,000 salary. I realize there are some who make less than that, but most new grads are making more. Just a percentage comparison. It wasn't easy when we finished either. That being said, student debt for EVERYONE should be less, education should be cheaper and we would ALL be happy. Just pointing out it was tough back then as well. FWIW, all allopathic medical schools are expensive as well. Also FWIW, our local ortho group just hired another DPM (yes, surgical) and they are being paid around what a family practitioner makes at the major medical center in my area.

bet the DPM was fellowship trained. So he actually did 12 years of education with 1 of pure b*tch work
nope. 2 year residency

I am surprised no one picked this up that the pod who just got hired and is getting paid the same as a family practitioner new grad. The pod did a 2 year residency meaning the pod graduated 15-20 years ago. After over 15 years of experience as a pod, you finally get your dream job to be paid the same a new family practitioner entry level pay which could be $200k -$250.
An experienced family practitioner with over 10 years experience will never accept that low. But to an experienced pod, it is a dream job.

It would have been better if the pod was a newly fresh fellowship trained grad. But someone with about 15 years of experience finally getting his dream job at a ortho group in a major medical center is really disheartening. To rub salt on the ulcer, only to paid the same as a family medicine new grad. Just let that sink in.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Just let that sink in.
1684619619813.png

It would have been better if the pod was a newly fresh fellowship trained grad. But someone with about 15 years of experience finally getting his dream job at a ortho group in a major medical center is really disheartening. To rub salt on the ulcer, only to paid the same as a family medicine new grad. Just let that sink in.
Depressing.

• Sad