Point of diminishing returns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassbun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So obviously having a 240 is going to put you in a different position than if you have a 200, but I can't imagine that a residency director is going to look at someone with a 265 and think they're any less of a candidate than some one with a 270. It seems like there should be some score where once you get above it, you're not going to get any additional benefit from it. Any one have a good sense of about where that falls out?

Members don't see this ad.

Interestingly, the ENT residency director at my institution told me he uses the 2-digit score for screening (ie he throws out everyone how didn't achieve 99).

Maybe for some people anything beyond a simple 99 is irrelevant and they leave the rest of the judgement to the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Interestingly, the ENT residency director at my institution told me he uses the 2-digit score for screening (ie he throws out everyone how didn't achieve 99).

Given that a 99 is something like 230+, it wouldn't be a terrible marker for a competitive specialty to use for their first pass over residency applications.