Point out my Weaknesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squirrelMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about a year out from applying so I'm taking stock and seeing what I need to improve on or add.

I completed two years at a state college (family issues, didn't want to be far away from my mom) but then I transferred to the top university in my state and just finished my first year there. I tried to save most of my prereqs for the university, only took gen chems and bios at the state college. So with that in mind this is what I've got:

-4.0 GPA at state college
-3.9 GPA at university (one B+ in genetics, A's in both orgos, taking physics 1 now, and taking physics 2 and biochem in the fall)
-president of the science club at the state college (won club of the year)
-about 350 hours as a volunteer medical assistant in an OBGYN clinic
-100 volunteer hours in ER
-30 volunteer hours at food bank
-7 hours annually for the past 3 years volunteering at party put on for underserved kids
-40 hours mentoring 6th graders, specifically helping them with science fair
-55 hours canvasing for a political campaign
-meet with representatives semi regularly to lobby healthcare legislation for the last year
-very active in a political club on campus
-shadowed general surgery and OBGYN
-worked minimal hours a week as a waitress the last 2 years
-currently work minimal hours as a freelance make up artist
-I also rehab baby squirrels which probably adds up to 1000s of hours since the squirrels live with me until they're released (its weird I know but I love them)
-I have my CNA license, not sure if that matters
-just started volunteering at the university hospital planning on doing that for the next year
-no research, do I really need it?
-taking MCAT in fall

Thank you for taking the time to critique me!

Members don't see this ad.

-no research, do I really need it?

You're asking the question because you've probably already heard plenty about how not having research can weaken an applicant to many schools, so I won't go in to it. This is your weakness.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're asking the question because you've probably already heard plenty about how not having research can weaken an applicant to many schools, so I won't go in to it. This is your weakness.

You're right. I just have zero interest in research but I know I should do it.

Why even bother going into something that you have zero interest in?

But with that being said, you never know until you try it. I think many of us have that assumption until we get involved in research (and begin to love it). Besides, many of the treatments in medicine originate from research, and the research method can be applied to unusual cases in medicine. Why not explore other avenues, become more well rounded, and if all fails, strengthen your application?

I'm sure you're right. I think I just have a really limited view of what research entails. I just can't see myself sitting at a lab bench playing around in a petri dish for hours, but I know there's research out there that's not that. So I guess I just have to stop being lazy and find it. Like you said I might like it.

I'm sure you're right. I think I just have a really limited view of what research entails. I just can't see myself sitting at a lab bench playing around in a petri dish for hours, but I know there's research out there that's not that. So I guess I just have to stop being lazy and find it. Like you said I might like it.

Try clinical research that involves patient interaction (Psych, peds, ER research will typically entail this). I did both clinical and non-clinical research to varying degrees. I personally enjoyed both. And yes, I did also identify as someone who was repulsed by the mere idea of having to sit in a lab for hours upon hours performing repetitive tasks. You will absolutely have to do it sometime, but it's truly gratifying when you watch your project move from one step to the next.

Reactions: 2 users
i didn't have any cuz I had no interest - you shouldn't do it if you don't wanna!

Reactions: 1 user
Get some nonclinical volunteer hours with the underserved. Not talking about squirrels.

you dont have to do clinical or scientific research. For me, I didn't do clinical volunteering but I did non-clinical. As long as it's something you can passionately speak about is where it really matters. If you can find relevance in the research to your life and how that impacts society, you should be fine. That is, if you choose to try research

How do you know you don't like research unless you've tried it? Would you go around not liking foods you've never tried, or people you've never met?

Makes no sense.

I'm about a year out from applying so I'm taking stock and seeing what I need to improve on or add.

I completed two years at a state college (family issues, didn't want to be far away from my mom) but then I transferred to the top university in my state and just finished my first year there. I tried to save most of my prereqs for the university, only took gen chems and bios at the state college. So with that in mind this is what I've got:

-4.0 GPA at state college
-3.9 GPA at university (one B+ in genetics, A's in both orgos, taking physics 1 now, and taking physics 2 and biochem in the fall)
-president of the science club at the state college (won club of the year)
-about 350 hours as a volunteer medical assistant in an OBGYN clinic
-100 volunteer hours in ER
-30 volunteer hours at food bank
-7 hours annually for the past 3 years volunteering at party put on for underserved kids
-40 hours mentoring 6th graders, specifically helping them with science fair
-55 hours canvasing for a political campaign
-meet with representatives semi regularly to lobby healthcare legislation for the last year
-very active in a political club on campus
-shadowed general surgery and OBGYN
-worked minimal hours a week as a waitress the last 2 years
-currently work minimal hours as a freelance make up artist
-I also rehab baby squirrels which probably adds up to 1000s of hours since the squirrels live with me until they're released (its weird I know but I love them)
-taking MCAT in fall

Thank you for taking the time to critique me!

Challenge accepted opie.

Squirrels are irrelevant and are meaningless in your app. Also, a very minor critique is putting your entire life story on SDN for people to offer their opinions on you.

Would grade an A-/10

Woah - didn't see the part about squirrels.

OP that is kinda weird. It makes you seem like a nutjob (pun intended). I wouldn't like to see on an app "crazy cat lady" either. Crazy squirrel rehaber is just something better left unsaid. Maybe it shaped you somehow, I'm sure they will notice when you hop on the window sill during the interview.

Woah - didn't see the part about squirrels.

OP that is kinda weird. It makes you seem like a nutjob (pun intended). I wouldn't like to see on an app "crazy cat lady" either. Crazy squirrel rehaber is just something better left unsaid. Maybe it shaped you somehow, I'm sure they will notice when you hop on the window sill during the interview.

I don't think he/she was going to include it on their app. A lot of what he/she listed probably wouldn't be appropriate for an app. I think opie is just feeling if he/she can add anything meaningful :)

You have 450 hours clinical volunteering/experience, but 37 hours volunteering for underserved populations (maybe 77 if the tutoring 6th graders was in an a poor location/bad school/underserved location). Squirrel's don't count (although I do think it is an interesting hobby).

I would focus on volunteering more for communities that need your help, instead of volunteering for things that only really help you. Look for opportunities to serve others, not yourself.

Research doesn't have to be bench work, like most pre-meds think. Try finding a clinical position where you are doing hands on data collection with participants, especially if you get to interview. It's a great way to get direct patient care (taking vitals, drawing blood, urine dips) while also practicing your "bedside manner" and communication skills with people *and* being exposed to the research process. Kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to do research. I'd never forgive myself if that's what kept me out of med school. I've also put more nonclinical volunteering on my to do list. But the medical assisting was at a clinic for underserved women, so does that count as serving the underserved?

I'm going to do research. I'd never forgive myself if that's what kept me out of med school. I've also put more nonclinical volunteering on my to do list. But the medical assisting was at a clinic for underserved women, so does that count as serving the underserved?
You'll never forgive yourself if you didn't volunteer enough and instead chose to do research which is barely evaluated as beneficial.

You'll be fine without research. But it is good to learn something about the scientific method.

The wise DrMidlife on research: “you've preferably had some exposure to research so you can be convinced that Wakefield used malicious dirtbag methods and is not the savior of the world's children.”

It possibly could. I would see what some of the adcoms have to say about that. I would still try and find some sort of non-clinical form of volunteering for the underserved. Part of the clinical experience is still for you and your own interests. Try helping others in a way that doesn't directly benefit you, show your altruistic side.

And if you want it to be memorable, find a way to help that correlates to something you have experienced. For example, I have had multiple family members who have had times in their life when they were homeless, so I decided to volunteer at a shelter for women and children who are homeless. I have certain skills in art and have had experience volunteering with children so I am focusing on supervising the children at the shelter, tutoring them and doing arts and crafts with them.
If you don't have any experiences to base it off of, then just figure out what you are good at and see how you can use your skills to better the life of someone else.