Politics debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They also limit things, have populations with healthier lifestyles, don’t provide most the research to have the good health improvements, have absurd taxes, and don’t actually have much better outcomes when you really break down the data

But even if it was a hands down better math solution (and it isn’t) it still isn’t a role for govt

But I listed a ton of specific ways govt increases cost above, go through them and explain how those aren’t true
perhaps “limiting things” is a necessity to lower costs. And correct me if im wrong but tax rates have nothing to do with ACTUAL healthcare costs, thats already taken into account. sure your examples of government causing prices to go up is true, like i said it has to be run well for this idea to work. other countries are able to pull it off

Members don't see this ad.

perhaps “limiting things” is a necessity to lower costs. And correct me if im wrong but tax rates have nothing to do with ACTUAL healthcare costs, thats already taken into account. sure your examples of government causing prices to go up is true, like i said it has to be run well for this idea to work. other countries are able to pull it off
Except they aren’t for the reasons I just discussed.

You are saying my apples are too expensive because someone else makes oranges for cheaper. They aren’t the same situation

Reactions: 1 user
They also limit things, have populations with healthier lifestyles, don’t provide most the research to have the good health improvements, have absurd taxes, and don’t actually have much better outcomes when you really break down the data

But even if it was a hands down better math solution (and it isn’t) it still isn’t a role for govt

But I listed a ton of specific ways govt increases cost above, go through them and explain how those aren’t true
others may not agree, but i will say that i would trade a 1% drop in outcomes for a 30% drop in price
Except they aren’t for the reasons I just discussed.

You are saying my apples are too expensive because someone else makes oranges for cheaper. They aren’t the same situation
apples to oranges is a stetch, in the end its still healthcare. and i will gladly trade my $8 golden delicious apple for their $5 fuji any day of the week

Members don't see this ad :)
others may not agree, but i will say that i would trade a 1% drop in outcomes for a 30% drop in price

apples to oranges is a stetch, in the end its still healthcare. and i will gladly trade my $8 golden delicious apple for their $5 fuji any day of the week
except if the govt takes over, I'm not trading paying $8 for a golden delicious to buy a fuji for $5. You know have me buying my fuji for $5 and then billing me $30 to buy the fuji's for the next six guys who "can't afford it". You don't respect my property rights at all. And then the govt behemoth you just created arbitrarily decides my time is worth less money.

except if the govt takes over, I'm not trading paying $8 for a golden delicious to buy a fuji for $5. You know have me buying my fuji for $5 and then billing me $30 to buy the fuji's for the next six guys who "can't afford it". You don't respect my property rights at all. And then the govt behemoth you just created arbitrarily decides my time is worth less money.
There are people making more money than you that are paying an extra helping out of their pockets for your kids to go to public school, for your national security, to subsidize your pharmacy school loans, and for your police/fire services all because you cant afford it. thats how our system works. 1/5 are already on medicaid. Add in obamacare. We are already paying for others healthcare as it stands. You want to talk about entitlement reform, i am with you. The end goal of what i am suggesting here is driving down healthcare costs. I am not a huge fan of government run either, but i see no better feasible ideas.

Last edited:
not sure i am following you. unsubsidized meaning taxpayer doesnt pay a dime

That's a pipedream. Someone is going to pay the doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. They're not going to work for free.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a pipedream. Someone is going to pay the doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc. They're not going to work for free.
sorry you just arent getting it and i can only explain so many times

Zing!

I am kinda on the fence about this idea of a non taxpayer supported public option. Basically it would just mean having a public option that competes with private ones, yes? So you remove the profit motive nut otherwise it would be exactly the same? What's the point? Seems like more of the wishy-washy half-measures that gives us our current less-than-optimal system.

Reactions: 2 users
Zing!

I am kinda on the fence about this idea of a non taxpayer supported public option. Basically it would just mean having a public option that competes with private ones, yes? So you remove the profit motive nut otherwise it would be exactly the same? What's the point? Seems like more of the wishy-washy half-measures that gives us our current less-than-optimal system.
everyone likes to complain about the system but nobody puts out any pragmatic solutions for a cost effective fix. Republicans had control of all 3 branches of government and still could not get their sh** together to come up with a replacement for Obamacare. You are seeing the same thing happen in this thread (two conservatives in complete disagreement). very sad that Obamacare is still in place. Opportunity missed.

• Haha
everyone likes to complain about the system but nobody puts out any pragmatic solutions for a cost effective fix. Republicans had control of all 3 branches of government and still could not get their sh** together to come up with a replacement for Obamacare. You are seeing the same thing happen in this thread (two conservatives in complete disagreement). very sad that Obamacare is still in place. Opportunity missed.
It seems we at least agree the ACA should have never happened

Universal coverage is the only morally right thing to do and will also help save us all and enormous amount of money. See every other first world country in the world with much cheaper healthcare achieving equal or better results than our own.

At this point I'm extremely doubtful it will actually be implemented in the near future or even in my lifetime. The entrenched corporate powers are too strong and the voting populace is too crazy or apathetic to vote in the politicians necessary to make the change.

Universal coverage is the only morally right thing to do and will also help save us all and enormous amount of money. See every other first world country in the world with much cheaper healthcare achieving equal or better results than our own.

At this point I'm extremely doubtful it will actually be implemented in the near future or even in my lifetime. The entrenched corporate powers are too strong and the voting populace is too crazy or apathetic to vote in the politicians necessary to make the change.
There is nothing moral about stealing from one guy to pay for another

Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing moral about stealing from one guy to pay for another

Yet we constantly do this with various parts of the government. The US military protects the citizenry as a whole, not just those who contribute more in taxes. Same for police and other emergency services. Arguably, the “poor” are more likely to use subsidized public transit, although they pay less in taxes. The examples are countless.

Disclaimer: I’m not openly disagreeing with your general opinion on universal health care, nor am I stating an opinion one way or the other.

Yet we constantly do this with various parts of the government. The US military protects the citizenry as a whole, not just those who contribute more in taxes. Same for police and other emergency services. Arguably, the “poor” are more likely to use subsidized public transit, although they pay less in taxes. The examples are countless.

Disclaimer: I’m not openly disagreeing with your general opinion on universal health care, nor am I stating an opinion one way or the other.
I don’t agree with some of those things either. We can rabbit trail through them individually if you like

America is unique though. We have opioid/ drug abuse problems that don’t exist in other countries (not to this extent anyways).

And also culture of entitlement and high liability: Why do we healthcare professionals ie. physicians, pharmacists etc. get paid so much? Why is the cost of insurance and medical services is so high? That’s because of liability! I don’t know the numbers but I doubt any other country can match the overall percentage lawsuits in America where people want to complain/ sue for everything.

Moreover, in other counties people don’t mind waiting for 2-3 months for appointment for non-urgent issues. In America, every issue is pretty much urgent and patients want service NOW! This whole thing resulted in creation of mid level degrees when there was a physician shortage.

America is unique though. We have opioid/ drug abuse problems that don’t exist in other countries (not to this extent anyways).

And also culture of entitlement and high liability: Why do we healthcare professionals ie. physicians, pharmacists etc. get paid so much? Why is the cost of insurance and medical services is so high? That’s because of liability! I don’t know the numbers but I doubt any other country can match the overall percentage lawsuits in America where people want to complain/ sue for everything.

Moreover, in other counties people don’t mind waiting for 2-3 months for appointment for non-urgent issues. In America, every issue is pretty much urgent and patients want service NOW! This whole thing resulted in creation of mid level degrees when there was a physician shortage.

Yes. This is the point @sb247 was making with the whole apples to oranges argument. The patient populations are completely different. People in those countries have far more self respect, resulting in a healthier gen pop. They also don't manufacture drugs, or pay the prices we do or conduct as much research. They essentially mooch off the healthcare exports of other nations. Their system works as a product of their environment, not the other way around.

Reactions: 2 users
As a pharmacist you would be making 50-60k a year instead of 100k+ and physician would be making 100-130k instead of 200-300k in those first world socialized countries..

Yes. This is the point @sb247 was making with the whole apples to oranges argument. The patient populations are completely different. People in those countries have far more self respect, resulting in a healthier gen pop. They also don't manufacture drugs, or pay the prices we do or conduct as much research. They essentially mooch off the healthcare exports of other nations. Their system works as a product of their environment, not the other way around.

(Painful laughter) Have you met Germans before? Or even better, the Scottish? Healthier general pop, no, especially the Scottish. No, the difference is what their societies are willing to tolerate in terms of government interference. The Americans do not tolerate high amounts of government intervention as a general matter. Germany is not the same sort of socialized medicine, they basically have ACA on steroids, without some of the ludicrous loopholes that ACA has and it works as a measure of expenditures on health. Germany and even France does more per capita healthcare research than even the US both on the state and non-state funding, the US just outweighs them in total dollars, and Australia and Israel outdoes all of those preceding three by a considerable margin.

The right/non-right of healthcare is rarely if ever an explicitly debated item. The finance of it is, and the way it is right now, no one knows how the payment channels work. Most physicians have no idea of how CMS rules their lives (even with private insurance) and most pharmacists have no idea of NCPDP even though that makes our business go round.

From the policy angle, I could fairly easily design a non-involved government health care system as well as a complete government health system (the closest thing to that being the Finnish and Swedish systems). I could do it the opposite way (the Singaporean or even the Mexican system) for a complete laissez-faire approach. Problem is, we've invested enough in the system that any change hurts us all.

The one system that is definitely and definitively changing, and it's going to be real cool to watch from the Pentagon and White Oak's perspective once the RIF starts, is the Military Health System, home of that bloated mess of uniformed administrators and overworked GMOs (I'm not neutral, I consider the GMO to be one of the worst uses of medical talent and time devised by anyone in the bureaucracy, unfair to both practitioner and patient). That's going to be the demo lab for all the policy changes to come in the civilian world, and so all of us are watching closely at the ASD(HA) and how those changes affect or not affect their cared lives. I've got the popcorn, and you all should take a seat and watch yourself, unless you're going into yourself.

(Painful laughter) Have you met Germans before? Or even better, the Scottish? Healthier general pop, no, especially the Scottish.
Oh, is that why our obesity rate is 30% higher that Scotland and just over 50% higher than Germany?

And why our diabetes rate is 2X Scotland's and 50% higher than Germany?

I would say a higher percent of Germans are vegan not almost all. Under 20% is much higher then here since I think we're around 10% but it is not almost all.

I also know plenty of unhealthy vegans. It's not fair to say being vegan alone helps a person's diet. Vegans eat junk food too.

When a vegan pharmacist is snacking on potato chips and dipping carrots in dressing, that doesn't make them healthier.

Eating healthy is a choice and veganism is an option to help.

Last edited:
I would say a higher percent of Germans are vegan not almost all. Under 20% is much higher then here since I think we're around 10% but it is not almost all.

I also know plenty of unhealthy vegans. It's not fair to say being vegan alone helps a person's diet. Vegans eat junk food too.

When a vegan pharmacist is snacking on potato chips and dipping carrots in dressing, that doesn't make them healthier.

Eating healthy is a choice and veganism is an option to help.
Well I've been around all the provinces and by east Germany and the people they are not open to veganism at all. It's like saying America east coast are vegan but south is not due to cultural difference was what I was trying to convey lol