Politics/election during the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am going to re-apply this year to get into the school I have been aiming for. With that said, I know in some interviews there is a lot of dialogue about your interest in news and politics.

Since there is a historic election going on this year, has anyone had to speak about their views on the presidential election during an optometry interview? Or your thoughts on X issue? Don't you think it should not even be brought up or pressed?

I am asking b/c it seems politics are getting pretty volatile now and there is an emotional attachment to candidates and policies this year more than ever. I am a well informed person with opinions but I would be worried if my interviewers had the opposite views in politics as me. Don't you think your opinion could sway their perception of you so much more this year than ever? I know they SHOULD be neutral but I'm finding it difficult this year to talk to ANYONE about politics in a neutral way if they are on the opposite side of the coin as I am.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with SUNY (off-campus w/Dr. Johnston) and politics did come up. However, he asked a very neutral question--something like "If both candidates were in front of you right now, and you had the chance to ask them anything, what would you ask?" Dr. J wasn't biased and he made me feel very comfortable. Hope that helps. I've only interviewed with SUNY so far, so I'd like to know others' experience with this topic as well.

I interviewed with SUNY (off-campus w/Dr. Johnston) and politics did come up. However, he asked a very neutral question--something like "If both candidates were in front of you right now, and you had the chance to ask them anything, what would you ask?" Dr. J wasn't biased and he made me feel very comfortable. Hope that helps. I've only interviewed with SUNY so far, so I'd like to know others' experience with this topic as well.

How did you manage an interview off campus with just him like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! That does help. I can handle that question. :)

I just don't want to be asked something like, "who are you/did you vote for and why?" Or, "what do you think should be done about X?" I think that could easily make interviewers close the door on you figuratively if they are on the other side of the fence. Especially if they are a diehard Obama/McCain supporter---- and people seem to be especially comitted to the candidate of their choice this year. I would hate for my political views to possibly sway my acceptance into the trash.

How did you manage an interview off campus with just him like that?

during my sophmore year, Dr. Johnston gave interviews before his SUNY presentation, so i asked if it was possible to do it this year. they didnt have any open slots at my campus, so i had to travel down to socal for my interview (still beats the price of airfare/hotel, but there's no campus tour:smack:)

during my sophmore year, Dr. Johnston gave interviews before his SUNY presentation, so i asked if it was possible to do it this year. they didnt have any open slots at my campus, so i had to travel down to socal for my interview (still beats the price of airfare/hotel, but there's no campus tour:smack:)
That's pretty awesome though! I mean, it sucks that you can't see the school... but it would be nice to not have to pay for the flights/driving expenses of 6 different interviews!

On the original point, I just interviewed at SUNY on Monday. They did not ask me and political questions (though I know SUNY has asked others political questions). I believe the questions are neutral in nature, to the point that you can answer them, showing what is important to you, without ever necessarily needing to give information about your party affiliation.

Example:
"If you could have the two political candidates discuss an issue of your choice, what would it be and why?"
"I want them to talk about X because I think it's important for A, B, C reasons."

I interviewed at SUNY only.

They asked me the following question.

"What is your stance on the candidates and specifically the health care plans they plan to implement, how do you feel about these plans?"

I looked them dead in the eye and discussed both candidates plans any why Obama's is way better.

Next Question pleaseeee....!