politics in retail

Started by DAW2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DAW2

Professional Pill Repackager
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so here's my rant. so one of the company's bigwigs comes to the store with the store mgr and they pop their head into the pharmacy and say hi. now, i'm frickin' busy so i don't rush over to shake the man's hand or really do anything. i stick my head up and say hi back and they don't really do anything but talk between themselves so i go right back to work. find out later that the big boss told the store manager is he always like that? if that's how he treats customers i dont like his attitude. so, really, did i do anything wrong. so i didnt kiss butt. i was trying to make him money. i wasn't going to say here forever so i'm kind of like whatever, but comments appreciated 🙂

btw so the store mgr told the pharm mgr who told me about their conversation. store mgr or big boss never did pull me aside...
 
so here's my rant. so one of the company's bigwigs comes to the store with the store mgr and they pop their head into the pharmacy and say hi. now, i'm frickin' busy so i don't rush over to shake the man's hand or really do anything. i stick my head up and say hi back and they don't really do anything but talk between themselves so i go right back to work. find out later that the big boss told the store manager is he always like that? if that's how he treats customers i dont like his attitude. so, really, did i do anything wrong. so i didnt kiss butt. i was trying to make him money. i wasn't going to say here forever so i'm kind of like whatever, but comments appreciated 🙂

btw so the store mgr told the pharm mgr who told me about their conversation. store mgr or big boss never did pull me aside...

No offense, but are you a ***** or did you get kicked in the head when you were little? It's called respect. You have a minute to walk over shake a hand and get back to work. Ignore the suits at your own peril..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
but since he didnt introduce himself am i still required to drop everything? i only know who he is cuz i saw his picture somewhere someday. a hi through the window in the middle of a conversation with someone else just didnt trigger the proper response i guess
 
so here's my rant. so one of the company's bigwigs comes to the store with the store mgr and they pop their head into the pharmacy and say hi. now, i'm frickin' busy so i don't rush over to shake the man's hand or really do anything. i stick my head up and say hi back and they don't really do anything but talk between themselves so i go right back to work. find out later that the big boss told the store manager is he always like that? if that's how he treats customers i dont like his attitude. so, really, did i do anything wrong. so i didnt kiss butt. i was trying to make him money. i wasn't going to say here forever so i'm kind of like whatever, but comments appreciated 🙂

btw so the store mgr told the pharm mgr who told me about their conversation. store mgr or big boss never did pull me aside...

That was not a real smart thing to do. It is called playing the game and you better get used to it. Don't think of it as kissing butt. Think of it as keeping up good relations with those who are in charge who have no clue what we do. Stop what you are doing for a moment, smile, and shake hands. Say nice to meet you sir, business is good we are filling a ton of scripts and all is well.

Play the game.
 
That was not a real smart thing to do. It is called playing the game and you better get used to it. Don't think of it as kissing butt. Think of it as keeping up good relations with those who are in charge who have no clue what we do. Stop what you are doing for a moment, smile, and shake hands. Say nice to meet you sir, business is good we are filling a ton of scripts and all is well.

Play the game.

...and lose any and all dignity you might have...

So when are you people going to rise up and take back retail pharmacy? They need us, not the other way around...
 
This is why I choose to work in a store where I know the man who signs my paycheck. I know his kids' ages and names and he knows I'm a crazy cat lady (only half kidding). I figured out the importance (to me) of being in a "little pond" long before I went back to school for pharmacy. No butt kissing required, he respects my work.
 
This is why I choose to work in a store where I know the man who signs my paycheck. I know his kids' ages and names and he knows I'm a crazy cat lady (only half kidding). I figured out the importance (to me) of being in a "little pond" long before I went back to school for pharmacy. No butt kissing required, he respects my work.

I had the same situation except my boss was a jerk. So I'll stick with the corporate culture that you very much.
 
I had the same situation except my boss was a jerk. So I'll stick with the corporate culture that you very much.

I'll counter your story with my own. The independent I worked for is a genuinely nice guy. He was the most accommodating boss I've ever known, and he would never sack someone because they didn't kiss his ass.

I'm pretty sure I'd starve to death before I worked for a chain. Every single one of us is better than that ****. I'm specifically referring to the corporate culture. Some pharmacists are tailor-made for retail and excel in that position, and I respect that position, but most of you get treated like a bitch, and you take it like a bitch, excuses be damned.
 
so i keep some dignity but i'm pretty much off the promotion grid. damn that bad attitude of mine lol
 
I'll counter your story with my own. The independent I worked for is a genuinely nice guy. He was the most accommodating boss I've ever known, and he would never sack someone because they didn't kiss his ass.

I'm pretty sure I'd starve to death before I worked for a chain. Every single one of us is better than that ****. I'm specifically referring to the corporate culture. Some pharmacists are tailor-made for retail and excel in that position, and I respect that position, but most of you get treated like a bitch, and you take it like a bitch, excuses be damned.

Listen, I'm not anybody's bitch. But I treat my superiors with respect. It's as simple as that. If your boss is good, your job is good that goes if you work for CVS or Joes RX.
 
Whenever The regional manager, District manager and their posse would come in, I would always stop what I was doing and give them at least 5 minutes to tell them how things were going. Now, what they loved to see is that if a customer would come to the counter, I would excuse myself and go greet the customer and chit chat with the customer...then i would go back to discussing the pharmacy with them... Unless there are customers waiting to talk to you, you should always give them some time...let your techs do the filling and stack those baskets 🙂 but always give the suits a few minutes...That always kept them off my back about anything else 🙂

Dr. M
 
That was not a real smart thing to do. It is called playing the game and you better get used to it. Don't think of it as kissing butt. Think of it as keeping up good relations with those who are in charge who have no clue what we do. Stop what you are doing for a moment, smile, and shake hands. Say nice to meet you sir, business is good we are filling a ton of scripts and all is well.

Play the game.

Thats all it is...a game...play the game...and WVU, i never lost any dignity at all...Retail is what it is...I chose not to play the game any longer but I must say that a lot of what the chains do makes sense...After seeing first hand how pharmacy business is, what CVS and Walgreens do makes sense...I just chose not to play...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Listen, I'm not anybody's bitch. But I treat my superiors with respect. It's as simple as that. If your boss is good, your job is good that goes if you work for CVS or Joes RX.

I also was not anybody's bitch as CVS. I stood up for myself and staff whenever i deemed it necessary...I was fair...I never just sided with the customer...Chains always wanted us to side with the customer...but i only did when it was our mistake...I always treated my supervisors with respect...and they always reciprocated...
 
so i keep some dignity but i'm pretty much off the promotion grid. damn that bad attitude of mine lol

Explain how you kept some of your "dignity" by disrespecting your superiors. There comes a time in everyone's life when you must stop acting like a spoiled child and act like a responsible adult. If you want to be treated like a professional the first step is to act like one.
 
Explain how you kept some of your "dignity" by disrespecting your superiors.
he didnt introduce himself. just a 1 word "hi". if i never saw his photo somewhere, i wouldn't have had a clue. none of the techs knew either. how were we to know he was a higher up
when the dm comes in, i give up the same old speech of how great everything is and shake his hand and greet him with a smile. i know how to kiss butt and play the game, i just didnt know i was supposed to for that incident

There comes a time in everyone's life when you must stop acting like a spoiled child and act like a responsible adult. If you want to be treated like a professional the first step is to act like one.

i agree. but it works both ways. there's a lot of stuff that goes on in this company that makes you go huh?
 
he didnt introduce himself. just a 1 word "hi". if i never saw his photo somewhere, i wouldn't have had a clue. none of the techs knew either. how were we to know he was a higher up
when the dm comes in, i give up the same old speech of how great everything is and shake his hand and greet him with a smile. i know how to kiss butt and play the game, i just didnt know i was supposed to for that incident

Honestly, I don't think this is about him being a higher-up. It's about if someone is touring the pharmacy, it is RUDE to not stop, say "Hi, my name is____", shake their hand and offer to answer any questions they may have. It's just plain rudeness to ignore them like you did regardless of who they are. I think that's your issue - not that they're a higher - up.