Politics on Secondary

Started by mbio2015
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mbio2015

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before I start I want to mention I don’t want this to be a political thread. I don’t need people posting their political opinions, I just need help.

A secondary is asking me to describe when I advocated for someone different. I‘m a URM that grew up in a small, conservative town so I know a lot of Trump supporters, and many of them are people I’m close with. There have been times I’ve had to defend them from my more liberal college friends and coworkers who paint them all as dumb racists. I’m trying to keep my own opinions as vague as possible but I’m likely going to seem at least left-leaning because I do understand the frustrations of my liberal friends even though I take issue with how they paint people I grew up with.
I’m I risking ticking off both sides here?
 
I think that it is reasonable to say that you have one foot in each community: the liberal-leaning college community and the small, conservative home town. You can certainly say that you act as an interpreter helping those in one group to be exposed to the viewpoints that you've heard by the "other" and recognizing that people have viewpoints that are in conflict and part of living in peace in the wider world is to understand the viewpoint of those with whom we do not agree. It is reasonable to say, "well, the way that they see it is that .... You don't have to agree with them but they don't intend to be bad people, they just have a different world view."
 
Any hint of support for Trump or his followers get extreme negative response from lot of people, so be careful with how you word it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad