Poll about research experience...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When you applied for Med school what was your research experience

• None whatsoever

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Less than 3 months

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 3 months - 1 year

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • 1 year - 2 years

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • 2 years plus

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • 1 Publication

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • More than 1 publication

Votes: 16 16.3%

• Total voters

link2swim06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok call me insecure but I was curious how my research experience matched up to other people on this site.

Members don't see this ad.

Nada. I go to a small university in southern Arkansas. Almost zero research happens here. Come on; the last thing I heard about research, it had to do with chickens. :)

Nada. I go to a small university in southern Arkansas. Almost zero research happens here. Come on; the last thing I heard about research, it had to do with chickens. :)
That...sounds vaguely dirty

and by the time i graduate, i'll probably have 2+ years

by the time I apply, 1.5 perhaps

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying until next year, but I have 4 months (approx. 200hrs) worth, and I'm not planning on doing anymore.. I might try to get something clinical, but my bench chemist days are SO OVER

I've got a disgusting amount of research: four years+ (some of which was full time) with several posters and a couple of pubs.

Of course, I've gotten criticized during the app process for having too much research experience. :rolleyes:

I think my research helped in my apps a lot. It probably made up--in part--for my low gpa. I'll have worked in a lab for 4 yrs by the time I attend (fingers crossed) medical school. I can empathize with beachblonde, because I have often been asked at interviews, "So, what do you do in your spare time ?".

AtG

Do you think having research but applying to a primary care-focused school helps in the application?

Definitely. I think it shows that you have an inquisitive disposition--a quality that a lot of good doctors possess. That being said, I think that having at least some research will always look better than no research at all, even if you're applying to 'primary care-focused' schools.

AtG

Definitely. I think it shows that you have an inquisitive disposition--a quality that a lot of good doctors possess. That being said, I think that having at least some research will always look better than no research at all, even if you're applying to 'primary care-focused' schools.

AtG

Well sure. Having some research is better than having none. What I'm really asking is do you think it makes/breaks an application with this schools?

Who thinks that this poll is not accurate of the general pre-med population?

i don't think it's so much the poll itself, but the people being polled. The people on this site by no means represent the average. Bunch of overachievers here, lol.

Nothing on SDN is representative of the average applicant. SDN users are usually above to far above average. Now if you want to talk about the social implications of being an average SDN pre-med...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Who thinks that this poll is not accurate of the general pre-med population?

As a whole (counting everyone who applied), no. As for those who will be accepted, I would guess it's probably pretty representative... maybe a little bit on the research-heavy side of the spectrum.

Research experience = inquisitive, hardworking, etc.: good qualities a doctor should have... so long as compassion, clinical mindedness, etc. aren't offset.

Well sure. Having some research is better than having none. What I'm really asking is do you think it makes/breaks an application with this schools?

Absolutely not. I don't think it will make or break an application. It's all about having something on you're app. that helps you stand out--be it research, community service, volunteering, or saving a bunch of starving orphans in Africa.

I totally agree with previous posts pointing out that SDNers are a bunch of overachievers. This network makes me so insecure!!! :scared:

AtG

Absolutely not. I don't think it will make or break an application. It's all about having something on you're app. that helps you stand out--be it research, community service, volunteering, or saving a bunch of starving orphans in Africa.

I totally agree with previous posts pointing out that SDNers are a bunch of overachievers. This network makes me so insecure!!! :scared:

AtG

Everyone's always picking on those poor African babies...anyone ever think that they like all the premeds trying to save them?

Everyone's always picking on those poor African babies...anyone ever think that they like all the premeds trying to save them?

Oh, I am sure the African babies love being helped--until they find out what the premed is really thinking while they're doing all that selfless life-saving: 'Oh man! This is going to look sooo good on my med school application!!"

(premed student creams their pants)

AtG