Poll- Cell Bio vs. Molecular Bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cell vs. Molecular Bio- Which would you take?

• Cell Bio

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Molecular Bio

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you take, if you had the opportunity to take just one?

I have finished my DAT and all other requirements. I just want to explore one of these classes, and ideally, I'd like to take one that will help me in dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

I took cell and loved it!
Idk about molecular, never took it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think either one would be good. I took molecular biology and loved it (I didn't take cell bio). At Baylor biochemistry,cell biology and molecular biology are taught in the same course so i'm sure you can't go wrong with either one

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Technically I took both of these classes...

From my experience cell biology was a general introduction to everything "here's the central dogma, here's the central metabolic pathway, these are the chromosomes and there are the alleles, oh yes... that's how small that organelle is and that's how large that one is..., no that is anaphase not metaphase, also don't forget the differences between eukaryotes and prokaryotes..."

While the course I took in molecular biology dove deep into central dogma. It covered much more detail into what is transcription, translation, DNA polymerases and its substituents, all the major players in RNA polymerase, codons, energy required to produce polypeptides, details about DNA repair, how viruses integrate into hosts....

If you already did well on the bio section of the DAT then I think you would probably appreciate the finer details molecular biology has to offer. Depends on how detailed this cell bio class of yours will be, if it's rather superficial than you might find it boring... an easy A isn't bad either though haha...

I vote molecular bio

(my real vote is for anatomy if you haven't taken it ;P)

Reactions: 1 users
Technically I took both of these classes...

From my experience cell biology was a general introduction to everything "here's the central dogma, here's the central metabolic pathway, these are the chromosomes and there are the alleles, oh yes... that's how small that organelle is and that's how large that one is..., no that is anaphase not metaphase, also don't forget the differences between eukaryotes and prokaryotes..."

While the course I took in molecular biology dove deep into central dogma. It covered much more detail into what is transcription, translation, DNA polymerases and its substituents, all the major players in RNA polymerase, codons, energy required to produce polypeptides, details about DNA repair, how viruses integrate into hosts....

If you already did well on the bio section of the DAT then I think you would probably appreciate the finer details molecular biology has to offer. Depends on how detailed this cell bio class of yours will be, if it's rather superficial than you might find it boring... an easy A isn't bad either though haha...

I vote molecular bio

(my real vote is for anatomy if you haven't taken it ;P)
Wow, that first cell bio class sounds like a cakewalk compared to the molec bio class! Was it a pre-req for molec bio?

At my school, they're combined into one course, and it's a lot more like the molec bio class you described. Very deep, much closer to what they teach in professional school (and the professors pointed out that if we can get an A in this course, you should have no problems with bio/biochem in professional school). I'd recommend the molec bio course, since it'll have more use.

Wow, that first cell bio class sounds like a cakewalk compared to the molec bio class! Was it a pre-req for molec bio?

Yup, you called it. It was a pre-req for molec bio.

By a HUGE margin, Cell Bio has the victory and I shall proceed for the Cell Bio course. I also looked at the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools, and there are more schools on my list that "recommend" cell bio than those that "recommend" molecular bio.

Thank you all for participating.