Poll: how many hours a day do you spend studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanvin12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During a normal school year.

Don't lie...

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, 0. Gotta love summer:thumbup:

During school, I usually study about 10 hours a week. Towards the end of the semester, it usually ups to about 15 hours a week or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, okay!
*raises both hands to surrender*
I've been studying for only 0 hours. :p

Don't lie...

When the midterm/final is far away = 0 hours.
The weekend before a midterm/final = the entire weekend.

This pattern must change before dental school!

During a normal 15 hour semester, prolly around 2 hrs a day. I try to keep up with material and really pay attn in class. I really ramp up to around 5-10 when tests hit though. During finals all I do is study, maybe 40 hours a week.

Currently about 5hrs a day at least 5 days a week of just straight reading...............but i'm studying for the DAT to be taken at the end of July:thumbup:

Studying about 5-6 hours a day for the DAT right now.

During the school year, I study around 4-5 hours a day. I would study more, but I just don't have the time.

Just want to scare you all and say anywhere from 30-60 per week for the 1 or 2 weeks before an exam. Depends on how hard the exam promises to be.

For the smaller exams maybe 10-30 hours for the week leading up to it. Not sure.

Don't worry, you'll all get used to it. Bleh. Back to studying.

Just want to scare you all and say anywhere from 30-60 per week for the 1 or 2 weeks before an exam. Depends on how hard the exam promises to be.

For the smaller exams maybe 10-30 hours for the week leading up to it. Not sure.

Don't worry, you'll all get used to it. Bleh. Back to studying.

Wowzers. Dental school got it bad. :eek:

i'm in pre-dental, and i study only 1 or 2 hrs a day..i'd love to study more, but i still hold a full time job...and i have a new born boy...but it's worth it, so i have to up that to at least 3-4 hrs per day...when i get into dental school that i do not hold a job anymore, i'll most likely study waaaaaaaay more....

I'm gonna be pretty honest here. I'm a habitual crammer it would seem, so anytime other than 1-2 days before a test I'd study probably 0 hours. Then, those 1-2 days before a test, I'd study probably anywhere from 3-12 hours. It's worked well so far, but I need to change once Dschool starts in the Fall

Man, my study pattern change all the time...some days I'll be studying 3 or 4 hours; some days, barely anything. However, when exam time comes around, I'll study 8-9 hours a day...The good thing is I'll have most of the material down before I get to studying 8-9 hours; but I'm usually trying to put it all together up until exam time.

But yeah...I'm prepared to handle dental school. Studying long hours doesn't bother me at all...My only problem would be distractions, but when I ignore them, I'm good :)!

One of my interviewers asked me the exact question! I said it depends, the range is 0 to 5 hrs/day.....lot of factors come into play.

I'm gonna be pretty honest here. I'm a habitual crammer it would seem, so anytime other than 1-2 days before a test I'd study probably 0 hours. Then, those 1-2 days before a test, I'd study probably anywhere from 3-12 hours. It's worked well so far, but I need to change once Dschool starts in the Fall

gym.addict said it all!

In undergrad, about 1-2 hrs/day. In dental school, about 5-7 hrs/day depending on the day... so undergrad 5-10hrs/wk, dental school 25-35 hrs per week during busy semesters. More before exams. First semester It was probably only 15-20 hrs/wk.

Depends on what's going on in my classes.
One weekend I studied for 12 hours (SMALL bathroom breaks and snack breaks) on a Saturday and then 17 hours on the sunday afterwards, before a #(*&%#( scary midterm exam.
Needless to say I will never do that again because I ended up getting a B from overstudying ( got the hardest ones correct and missed the easiest black and white questions cause my brain was FRIED).

I usually study 3-4 hours a night. All depends on the classes and what's needed! If a major test is coming up, I study the 3-4 hours just for the one class and then fit in whatever hours are needed for the other classes.