Poll: How much OMT do you perform?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On how many occasions did you provide OMT to patients in the past month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigSib

Rural Family Dr
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I often see surveys that ask about the percent of patients where OMT is used, but I am curious what number of times that students, residents, or attendings perform OMT on a usual/average month. I usually report the lowest percentage option available on these surveys, but I do perform OMT more than a handful of times per month.

This is not a scientific poll. Multiple selections are available to show the number of students vs. other reporting. If you are on an OMM-specific rotation (or other high OMM frequency month that is abnormal for you) it is probably best to wait to answer this survey until you complete a 'normal' month for yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad OMM fellow so can't contribute to the poll. I'm treating at least 30 people per month, mostly students; much more if it's my month of clinic with the OMM chair where I treat outside patients with chronic pain.

Zero ever since being forced to in medical school. Since having freedom of choice... zip.

Reactions: 2 users
Zero ever since being forced to in medical school. Since having freedom of choice... zip.

None since my second year OMM final. What a waste of time and brainspace that class was.

Reactions: 3 users
0 as a third year student. And none of my attendings use omt.

Reactions: 1 users
During my third year rotations I saw OMT performed ONCE the entire year.

During fourth year = ZERO times (if you don't count the PE).

This seems to be the trend as well from talking to classmates. IMHO, aside from the hardcore OMT'ers, there doesn't seem to be much OMT at all once you leave the classroom part of med school.

So you guys don't have an OMM core rotation?

Members don't see this ad :)
OMM as a required rotation? Man, that would make me all kinds of upset.
tumblr_m7hu0lctRq1r0u3q9o1_400.gif

Now that I'm a resident at an ACGME program, zero.

The odd thing is that the other DOs in my class (perhaps 3-4 out of about 40) all seem to adore OMM and utilize it far more than I would have expected them to. They look at me like I'm nuts when I say I never use it and can't even remember how to do half the damn techniques.

Now that I'm a resident at an ACGME program, zero.

The odd thing is that the other DOs in my class (perhaps 3-4 out of about 40) all seem to adore OMM and utilize it far more than I would have expected them to. They look at me like I'm nuts when I say I never use it and can't even remember how to do half the damn techniques.
It's almost as if some people go to school to be osteopathic physicians and learn and utilize (and make money from) manipulation. Might as well with the extra tuition we're generally paying.

I kid.

It's almost as if some people go to school to be osteopathic physicians and learn and utilize (and make money from) manipulation. Might as well with the extra tuition we're generally paying.

I kid.

It would be interesting to see what percent of current DO students fall into this category. I'd say 25%, but just a guess

It would be interesting to see what percent of current DO students fall into this category. I'd say 25%, but just a guess

Definitely less than that at my school. I'd say 10%.

Reactions: 1 user
Once on my gf last week. It actually worked really well, even though I totally didn't think it would. I was totally skeptical and so was she and it still did the trick- went from moderate arm pain to zero pain in 90 seconds.

Once on my gf last week. It actually worked really well, even though I totally didn't think it would. I was totally skeptical and so was she and it still did the trick- went from moderate arm pain to zero pain in 90 seconds.

Gotta love that Counterstrain. That said, the only thing that seems to work on my wife is ME, some MR, and maybe the occasional HVLA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Only had one preceptor who performed it and he was pretty hacky about it...used the same 3 techniques on every patient regardless of complaint, never reevaluated, etc...I got the feeling he was just going through the motions so he could bill extra. Looking at the remainder of my rotations I don't expect to have the opportunity to use it again and I'm cool with that.

I feel guilty because I don't care about OMM. It's real hard for me to take seriously, almost to the point where it's becoming ludicrous. I've never had the experience of being instantly "better", but I've given two people legit treatment reactions.