Poll: In which state is it easiest to get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In which state is it easiest to get into med school?

• Alabama

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Alaska

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Arizona

• Arkansas

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • California

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conneticut

• Delaware

• Florida

• Georgia

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Hawaii

• Idaho

• Illionois

• Indiana

• Iowa

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Kansas

• Kentucky

• Louisiana

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Maine

• Maryland

• Massachusetts

• Michigan

• Minnesota

• Mississippi

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Missouri

• Montana

• Nebraska

• Nevada

• New Hampshire

• New Jersey

• New Mexico

• New York

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • North Carolina

• North Dakota

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Ohio

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Oklahoma

• Oregon

• Pennsylvania

• Rhode Island

• South Carolina

• South Dakota

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Tennessee

• Texas

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Utah

• Vermont

• Virginia

• Washington

• West Virginia

• Wisconsin

• Wyoming

• Total voters

anotherPlacebo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Poll: In which state is it easiest to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a fake poll?

Anyways, California better be one of the last ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what happens when someone other than Rafa tries to start a poll.

Damn it, it IS a placebo poll. Look at the OP's name. I was duped.

Edit: Ahh, there it is.

it must have been a b1tch to write down all those states.

nah, i'm a fast typer :)

hm, i also decided to review the fifty states again since i haven't done it since social science in 7th grade.

NapeSpikes said:
California, of course. ;)

Yeah man, if you live in California, you're a shoe-in, you can just glide right into medical school. ;) I mean, we've got 5 state schools! :eek: And you know how easy it is to get into your own state school. You'd have to suck a lot to get rejected from 5 state schools! :p And it's not like people from other states want to ever come to our state, who'd want to come all the way out here in the boonies on the west coast? And you know how the few people who do end up coming to California for med school hate our sunshine so much, they want to move home ASAP for their residencies! We Californians are rewarded with easy medical school entry for living in such a nasty place. :laugh:

:lol:

I vote for texas :thumbup:

Rafa said:
This is what happens when someone other than Rafa tries to start a poll.
wow have you done A LOT of polls.

and how do you attach your list like that?

Psycho Doctor said:
wow have you done A LOT of polls.

and how do you attach your list like that?

It's basically a list of threads I've started (most of them have been polls :^). If you click on your name in a thread, you can click the link to 'view all threads created by user', which appears in your profile. Then just c/p into sig...

Members don't see this ad :)
Isnt this poll really just saying which states have the most med schools? Because then it isnt subjective at all, and doesnt require a poll.

Larges states (Texas, Ohio, Cal) have med schools that "are the most easiest to get into" because they simply have more med schools than other states, therefore more people get accepted to schools in that state.

Chris127 said:
Isnt this poll really just saying which states have the most med schools? Because then it isnt subjective at all, and doesnt require a poll.

Larges states (Texas, Ohio, Cal) have med schools that "are the most easiest to get into" because they simply have more med schools than other states, therefore more people get accepted to schools in that state.

Correction... CA medical schools are amongst the HARDEST to get into, even for in state residents.

want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
These little town blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York.

Dr.MD said:
Correction... CA medical schools are amongst the HARDEST to get into, even for in state residents.

Are you sure 'bout that ?? :laugh:

Not sure how you would define "easiest," but here's the AAMC list on % of applicants who matriculate in-state. It doesn't say which states take the highest % of out-of-state matriculants.

2 State Schools:

MUSC
In-state applicants 363
Interviewed 295
Accepted 174
New Entrants 132

USC SOM
In-state applicants 332
Interviewed 215
Accepted 114
New Entrants 70

*Assuming* there are ~400 total in-state applicants and 202 acceptances you are looking at ~ 50% acceptance (THAT'S a 1 in 2 chance)!!! Also, there are ppl who leave the state, so I would venture to say that MORE THAN HALF of the SC residents who apply to medical school each year get in somehwere!!!

Iwy Em Hotep said:
Not sure how you would define "easiest," but here's the AAMC list on % of applicants who matriculate in-state. It doesn't say which states take the highest % of out-of-state matriculants.

Wow!! Great resource!!

Chris127 said:

C'mon now, California's the hardest. People are voting on CA as a joke.

Colorado is harder to get into than California. Fewer % matriculated instate, greater % not matriculating at all.

Anyone who put Texas is WAY off base. The average stats for acceptance are way above other states.

I was accepted to schools in 4 states other than Texas, even though I am a Texas resident.

For everyone saying Cali schools are the hardest to get into...

How many CA in-staters apply to CA schools annually? What percentage of those score at least 1 in state acceptance?

I don't believe CA schools are as hard to get into (for residents) as some of y'all on SDN insist. Competitive doesn't mean impossible. Someone pull me up some stats, and we'll settle this tonight. *guns fists*

Rafa said:
For everyone saying Cali schools are the hardest to get into...

How many CA in-staters apply to CA schools annually? What percentage of those score at least 1 in state acceptance?

I don't believe CA schools are as hard to get into (for residents) as some of y'all on SDN insist. Competitive doesn't mean impossible. Someone pull me up some stats, and we'll settle this tonight. *guns fists*

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/2005slrmat.htm

Think this was posted already but California is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Umm...

Some of the listed states don't *have* med schools. Wyoming, Idaho, Alaska, and Montana, for example, all lay claim to UW because they don't have any schools in their state. New Hampshire and Rhode Island both have private schools, but I don't think they have state schools. I don't think that Maine has one either. Or maybe they all have something like the WWAMI?

Edit: GEEZ! Only 15.5% of Maryland applicants matriculate in-state?? You Californians need to quit yer whinin'.

neutropenic said:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2005/2005slrmat.htm

Think this was posted already but California is definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Yup, on the lower end, but definitely not the hardest. And definitely not the state with the highest percentage of applicants who didn't matriculate anywhere.

Methinks thou Calikids dost protest too much. Sure, it's not Texas. But it's definitely not the most difficult state for an in-stater to succeed in.

Just because California doesn't have the lowest matriculation rate in state doesn't mean it's the easiest state to get into medical school. If you look at the numbers (i.e. GPA & MCAT scores) for California's schools compared to schools in say, Maryland, then you'll see why it's harder to get into California schools.

Rafa said:
Yup, on the lower end, but definitely not the hardest. And definitely not the state with the highest percentage of applicants who didn't matriculate anywhere.

Methinks thou Calikids dost protest too much. Sure, it's not Texas. But it's definitely not the most difficult state for an in-stater to succeed in.

thou is singular, silly, that's what makes it cool
so is dost, at least they agree
who here thinks having sdn up while you study is a good thing?

Here's a remedial archaic grammer assignment for you:
Compare the MCAT and GPA stats of Cal kids to their matric rates. This report will be due in 6 hours if you want to change your grade.

ether^O^ said:
Just because California doesn't have the lowest matriculation rate in state doesn't mean it's the easiest state to get into medical school. If you look at the numbers (i.e. GPA & MCAT scores) for California's schools compared to schools in say, Maryland, then you'll see why it's harder to get into California schools.

hee hee. we posted at the same time. that always makes me feel a little queasy