Poll time: Relationships and premed/med school students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is your personal relationship status/degree of seriousness?

• Currently in relationship, not serious

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • Currently in relationship, serious

Votes: 188 38.2%
  • Currently NOT in a relationship, but want to be in one.

Votes: 68 13.8%
  • Currently NOT in a relationship and DO NOT want to be in one.

Votes: 40 8.1%
  • Flings only.

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Eyes open but not outright looking for anything,

Votes: 60 12.2%
  • Engaged

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • Married

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • Separated

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Too busy for anything.

Votes: 27 5.5%

• Total voters
Since day 1????? Isn't that waaaaaaaay too early? I would've freaked out if my boyfriend talked about marriage on our first day dating.

I'm a blunt person, so it just came up. It's also easier in the log run because I'll know what we both want/don't want. Also talked about # of kids on day 1. We have a disagreement on number but that's okay :)

Must have been luck finding my angel.
engaged -- mark another one for the good guys...

way to be ahead of the curve, man. :smuggrin:

Thanks and congrats! :clap:

Started dating my guy soph year of HS...junior year of college we are still together. No ring though :(

Either he's broke or is stringing you along. I could be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad.

there was a significant lag in "in a relationship: serious," but that's shot up by 7% since yesterday

do people in relationships check SDN less frequently? ...posits the epidemiologist

0% Separated.

Wow, I would have expected a lot more than 0%.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone say FWB? 1 year and still going strong..hell yyeahhh

tumblr_ldojiyYxmC1qehv22o1_500.jpg

I thought I should contribute.

0% Separated.

Wow, I would have expected a lot more than 0%.

because people don't identify as "separated"

if you're out of a relationship you're either looking for a new one or you're not looking for a new one. divorced and separated are not identities people claim for themselves

Together for 11 years at the end of this month, married for a little more than 3 1/2.

Oh, and we have two kids. One will turn 3 this month and the other is 2 months old (born 3 days after my anatomy final... yup).

Last edited:
Started dating my guy soph year of HS...junior year of college we are still together. No ring though :(

I had a friend who really wanted her boyfriend to propose so she incessantly played Beyonce's "Put a Ring on It", it worked after 2 weeks!

I had a friend who really wanted her boyfriend to propose so she incessantly played Beyonce's "Put a Ring on It", it worked after 2 weeks!

I can picture what was going through his mind..."Christ...maybe if I buy her something sparkly she'll shut off that awful screeching."

We're both broke :( But Love isn't based on money--what happened to the romantic movies where a guy proposes with a 25 cent ring from a gumball machine? :p

I have a feeling that one would backfire on me, but it would be hilarious! :laugh:

Not in a relationship but I have a FWB guy that I call whenever I need something :laugh:
Besides, i'm too busy studying and working to accommodate any serious relationship.. Perhaps I'm just saying that because nobody wants to date me at the moment :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously man. Wasn't there some dude from a med school that were killing women through that site?

Yeah! I just saw the movie made about him, unfortunately he killed himself while he was in prison and left some bloody notes in the wall saying his wifes name. :(

My boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for a year now, give or take. It's hard sometimes to try and balance everything out, but it's only going to get harder the further along you go. He's pre-PT so he understands a lot of what I'm going through too. (We've had a lot of classes together.)

I dunno, people who say they are too busy for a relationship don't make much sense to me. Once you really care about someone, you will find ways to make time for them. Your significant other should be willing to do the same. It's not impossible. Would my grades be better if I wasn't in a relationship? I don't know. Maybe. But they are still competitive and I'm happy with where I am.

If you don't have time for anything other than school, research, ECs, etc. then you're doing it wrong.

My best friend started dating her guy sophomore year of HS too. They are both seniors in college now and he just proposed to her a few months ago. Hang in there! :)

I'm a blunt person, so it just came up. It's also easier in the log run because I'll know what we both want/don't want. Also talked about # of kids on day 1. We have a disagreement on number but that's okay :)

More power to you. :thumbup:

Being in a serious relationship with your right hand doesn't count SDN

Team: Lone Wolf checking in.

Word on the Okcupid thing( another one is plenty of fish), more for one night stands. Seen it on another forum, they have competitions based on it. So females beware if you're looking for a real relationship.

you should do this. :thumbup:

There's a good chance you'll change your minds about the number anyway. :)

As for ADolefulDream, they're in college, so maybe he is broke. Or he's waiting for a specific day or something. My husband did something similar (and I was definitely getting really annoyed waiting).

there was a significant lag in "in a relationship: serious," but that's shot up by 7% since yesterday

do people in relationships check SDN less frequently? ...posits the epidemiologist

This.

Word on the Okcupid thing( another one is plenty of fish), more for one night stands. Seen it on another forum, they have competitions based on it. So females beware if you're looking for a real relationship.

I prefer OkCupid to Plenty of Fish, but I have not had a one night stand from either OkC or PoF.

I vote you're wrong :). I've been dating my girlfriend for a similar amount of time. Don't plan to propose until at least next year. I know I want to be with her for life, but I'm only 21. I just feel way too young to be married or engaged. Maybe once we're out of undergrad and life settles down :)

You're missing "cuddle buddies" status.

I vote you're wrong :). I've been dating my girlfriend for a similar amount of time. Don't plan to propose until at least next year. I know I want to be with her for life, but I'm only 21. I just feel way too young to be married or engaged. Maybe once we're out of undergrad and life settles down :)

:nono: If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it

I guess when your <21 (<28 for some) you do wanna see what's out there. (That's the general consensus from the people I know). I just don't know how you can (or how I can) be with a person that long and not figure it out by now. Then again, location won't matter because she's following me wherever I go to medical school.

The girl I have been dating since sophomore year in high school (~7yrs) broke things off last week. I guess I'm selfish and study too much. Ha

Well looks like I will be single for the next 12 years of life, better buckle up:cool:

Well looks like I will be single for the next 12 years of life, better buckle up:cool:

right? the "not in a relationship but want to be in one" pool is so very very small. and probably mostly men. like me. which doesn't help me very much. :(

online dating creeps me the hell out...

Last edited:
so much talk about relationships through med school/residency, can it be that hard?

If you want to hear from current medical students, pre-allo isn't really the place to post the poll :p

I started dating my now husband 9 months before starting medical school. He graduated a semester after me so we did 6 months of long distance and then he followed me out here. We got married after dating for 3.5 years. Still happy through 6 mos of clinicals.

Some people break up during clinical years and internship, others start dating then and do just fine. It is stressful, but so is life in general. The couples in my class that broke up weren't exactly surprises.

Single and Want to Mingle, but do not know if I am Ready.

I think once I gt into residency I will start dating.

Last edited:
Well...If med school doesn't work out, I could always join a convent. :cry:

I find it surprising that so many premeds are in serious relationships...
I really don't. Most of my classmates are in serious relationships. Maybe it is because I'm a chemistry major, but I do not find it that weird. A couple of my friends are already married.

Also, if this was 5 months ago I would have said I was in one. But sometimes they blow up in yer face ya know? Yay for stressful application cycles (granted, it worked out for the better, FREEEEEDOM).

I've been in a serious relationship for 4 years and I consider my boyfriend to be my rock. He's always there with a margarita or a bag of cheetos when I'm freaking out.

My fiancé and I have been together for over 4 years so we've had a lot of time to plan out what we want.

We're are trying to go to school together (he's going for a PhD). We both just had great interviews at our top school, so hopefully that works out. If not, we'll do the long distance thing until I'm done with med school and then we are getting married. He'll follow me to residency (hopefully he can find a job, otherwise it's Mr. Mom =]) and then I'll follow him to where ever he can get a job. There are sacrifices on both ends, but we are willing to make it work.

It's nice to go into medical school with a solid relationship because you will undoubtedly need a lot of support once you are in. Unstable relationships (lots of fighting or trust issues) could be harmful. I think my fiancé and I will make it because we are honestly best friends and each other's biggest supporter.

The girl I have been dating since sophomore year in high school (~7yrs) broke things off last week. I guess I'm selfish and study too much. Ha

Hey we're almost twins!

I was in a 5 year relationship with a girl up until recently. We were going to get married and were both applying to a ****load of schools near each other so we wouldn't have to be too far apart through med school. Spent pretty much most of every day together! Gave up every friend I had to spend enough time with her while juggling school. Didn't matter because we were also eachothers' best friends!

Then things got bad and she left me for a girl :(

Right around MCAT time :( :( :(

So lonely. So very, very lonely.

/foreveralone

Untitled-1.jpg

Hey we're almost twins!

I was in a 5 year relationship with a girl up until recently. We were going to get married and were both applying to a ****load of schools near each other so we wouldn't have to be too far apart through med school. Spent pretty much most of every day together! Gave up every friend I had to spend enough time with her while juggling school. Didn't matter because we were also eachothers' best friends!

Right around MCAT time :( :( :(

So lonely. So very, very lonely.

/foreveralone

Untitled-1.jpg

:eek:

Time to cast your next line into the sea.

Hey we're almost twins!

7d1uu.png

niceeeee

You mean like.... with another person?

I feel like I read about this in one of my books. Hold on, let me try and look this up.

haha im 21 and I'm almost done college (got like 1.5 years left) and I've never actually had a girlfriend in my life.

A little sad maybe, but feels pretty weird especially looking at the amount of relationships pre-meds are already in! Im just curious as to what percentage of those actually last?