Poll: WashU or Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Original

Ogori-Magongo Warrior
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pick one and move on.

Members don't see this ad.

From the outcome of this poll, I'd say a lot of people here are judging Duke and WashU based on undergrad rep, not medical school rep.

The reason I say this is becasue both schools are very top notch. Duke may get a slight edge, but there is no way it is so much better than WashU as the poll would indicate.

The difference I think is based on other than med school reasons. As far as location, WashU definitely has Duke beat. For overall academic rep, Duke edges out WashU.

I've got nothing against Duke, but I dont really think it has the sizable edge over WashU that this poll indicates.

I would compare it to Harvard vs Hopkins. I bet if there was a poll more than 90% of respondents would choose Harvard. I would say that Harvard has a slight edge over Hopkins, but that the poll skews the results to Harvard based on undergrad rep, not purely based on the med school.

These two schools are so similar in reputation that it's really hard to choose based on that. The decision to attend one or the other should be based on their very different curriculums. Duke does all of their science courses in one year and does a year of research while Wash U has two years of science like most other med schools.

Wash U probably doesn't get as much recognition outside of the medical community as Duke does though. Nevertheless, Wash U is still my #1. :) Come on, who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU's still my one and only. Thats cuz its the only place I've been interviewed and accepted out of the 6 schools I applied to. I didn't send in Duke's secondary because I thought that it was arrogant of them to ask us to write 7 essays. Still waiting on the Cali schools.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MacGyver:
•As far as location, WashU definitely has Duke beat.•••••I've heard a lot of other people speak negatively about Durham. I was wondering what it was about Durham that turned you off??

I have to disagree with the statement that Wash U has Durham on location. The area around Duke is one of the top five campuses in the country. Its georgeous. If you leave the area around Duke, it does go down in beauty a bit, but not really too much. Chapel Hill, which is fifteen minutes from Duke, is rated one of the best places to live in the country. The roads from Duke to Chapel Hill are surrounded by Duke Forest, which is also beautiful. If you are talking about not having city like atmoshphere, the research triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary) has well over a million people and it has just about anything you'd want. Also, in Durham you are two hours away from some of the most georgeous mountains in the country with some ok skiing. Your also only two hours away from the outer banks (where Dawson's Creek is filmed) and the beaches. How far are you from the beach in St.Louis? Now I visited St.Louis and I liked it very much. If I get into Wash U and Duke (thats not happening) I'd definitely consider Wash U, but I just think its an unfair statement to say Wash U has Duke beat on location.

BUMP!

and I have to agree with Logan on the location issue. I think that Triangle Park is absolutely gorgeous. Besides, I wander why 10 min and 15min drives are considered separations of those 3 cities. Heck I drive 15 min to school everyday and consider it very close. Oops I'm giving away my bias already. I'll shut-up now. Punch in your vote and move on.

WashU is #1!

WashU lavishes its students with $$$$$--even the regular MDs. :clap:

The MD/PhDs (that's not me) are treated like kings.

WashU sponsors its students to go to all sorts of medical conferences--ALL expenses PAID!

Does anyone see that from Duke?

We should have the following poll:

Which city sucks more:

A. Durham
B. St. Louis

:wink: :D

Money wise, Duke is among the best. There is the Duke Grant. The average debt coming out of Duke is around 68 grand because they meet alot of it with grants and not loans. I know the average debt at Wash U is much higher. They might not throw money at their students, but their students sure save alot.