Poll: What Medical *Specialty* Would You Pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Medical Specialty Would You Pick?

• Anesthesiology

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Dermatology

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Emergency Medicine

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • Family Medicine

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Internal Medicine

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Medical Genetics

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Neurological Surgery

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Nuclear Medicine

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

• Ophthalmology

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Orthopaedic Surgery

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • Otolaryngology

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Pathology

• Pediatrics

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

• Plastic Surgery

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Preventive Medicine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psychiatry and Neurology

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Radiology

Votes: 19 7.7%
  • Surgery (General)

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • Thoracic Surgery

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Urology

• Don't Know / Other

Votes: 16 6.5%
  • Radiation Oncology

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
That specialty is probably the best-kept secret in medicine...

Just curious, what what specialty are your matching into? I'll understand a no reply.

Members don't see this ad.

no med/peds?

med peds and EM are the two most popular specialties in our current 4th year class.

She (?) mentioned in another thread she won't know until Thurs. (unless she only applied to one specialty, in which case she would know b/c she knows she matched, just not where).

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't see anyone vote for proctology anywhere. Now, one does have to wonder if money is the biggest factor in that choice. Although, if a person needs a proctologist, they need one.

According to the following article, they can make a buttload (not their word) of money:

"Though it's not necessarily a pleasant job or one that is well received within the public realm, because most all proctologists are certified by the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery, they make nearly $250,000 a year."

Read more: About Proctologists | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4572271_proctologists.html#ixzz1GiGqXAXQ

Bet they have nice hours as well. Sure they might get an occasional call in for rectal surgery issues, such as ED calls for lightbulb in buttock day; but they are playing a lot of golf--or surfing or whatever--at least I sure hope so.

Didn't see anyone vote for proctology anywhere. Now, one does have to wonder if money is the biggest factor in that choice. Although, if a person needs a proctologist, they need one.

According to the following article, they can make a buttload (not their word) of money:

"Though it's not necessarily a pleasant job or one that is well received within the public realm, because most all proctologists are certified by the American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery, they make nearly $250,000 a year."

Read more: About Proctologists | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4572271_proctologists.html#ixzz1GiGqXAXQ

Bet they have nice hours as well. Sure they might get an occasional call in for rectal surgery issues, such as ED calls for lightbulb in buttock day; but they are playing a lot of golf--or surfing or whatever--at least I sure hope so.

It is amazing some of the stories I've heard (through the vine of course, not violating HIPAA) of what people put in their butts. :eek:

Having been a medic for >20 years, I kind of always just assumed that EM would be the logical place I'd end up. (Understanding that I may change my feeling as I gain greater exposure to other fields of medicine). So I voted EM.

But the more I read about Anesthesia, the more it sounds like something I think I would enjoy and might have a longer practice time than EM given my "advanced age." :)

It is amazing some of the stories I've heard (through the vine of course, not violating HIPAA) of what people put in their butts. :eek:

I never would have thought of these kinds of things going in butts before working in the field. It's unreal. It just does to prove that some things that go up don't come down--like broken light bulbs. Egads.

Drill bits?

On the bright side, at least the patient^ used a condom? :shrug:

She (?) mentioned in another thread she won't know until Thurs. (unless she only applied to one specialty, in which case she would know b/c she knows she matched, just not where).

Not where she matched, what specialty/specialties she was attempting to match into. She knew months ago what specialty she was pursuing.

Shhh.....dont mention PMR...:eek:

I think PMR, like anything else, has it's pluses and minuses.

Great lifestyle, probably a great population to work with although sometimes you won't see people get much better.

I think the downsides are that it relatively easy to match into (overall, obviously not in places like Chicago), the group of physicians in it overall aren't overly ambitious on protecting their field (seen lots of Caribbean MD or DOs that matched PMR for lack of any other options because of low board scores or whatever), layover or crossover with DPT (physical therapist), and the fact that even when things happen that should give PMR exposure other doctors will be seen as more of an expert.

I think a perfect example was the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, the senator from Arizona. They only covered neurosurgeons and neurologists. She had a TBI and still everyone focused on what the neurosurgeons have to say on it. I guess what I'm saying is, people don't know what a PMR doctor is AND some doctors don't even know what a PMR doctor is.

Now that is fine and dandy if you get to do your job, but in the end doctors refer patients to other doctors. So your patient population will in some ways be affected by how visible the field is and how vital other physicians think it is.

This is what I've been able to garner from lots of reading and looking at the specialty.

Edit: I realize this is a negative outlook on the specialty. Which I guess has been a driver of my research into specialties. If you can put up with the most negative sides, then you know you can handle it. So don't be offended if you like PMR and this is just from reading across the internet mostly.

Man this one is so hard for me b/c of where I am in my life.
I can say w/o a doubt that I have loved working critical care nursing, both adults and kids, w/ lots of cardiac. I just don't know if this is the road.

Anesthesia is more interesting than people think, and there are those that go into it that also go into critical care fellowship for specialization. You can also get to CCM by way of internal medicine first. This is stuff where you really have to think and look at all the information as well as the individual. And that's where some get stuck sometimes I think. . .trying to fit people like square peds into round holes by was of some view of rigid EBP. I have seen that. The great practitioners look at the individual and do not lose site of him or her IMHO.

Family Practice has it's pluses, as does EM.

Pathology is interesting, but you are limited in terms of patient-clinical interactions. Similar with rads, but not always. It depends on whether or not you are more interventional.

OB/GYN has its pluses and minuses as well. Malpractice has chopped it up pretty good though.

Peds is good too, although they aren't often making what they should.

I'm pretty set on not doing surgery, although I can see why people fall in love with it--and hate it at the same time--definite love/hate for some, love/love for others, and total hate/hate for some more--and they end up going into other residencies. I know a few who have done the later. I know a few that even did this with rads--they just couldn't get into like they thought they could.

I don't know if I could do derm all day; but you can pick up a lot of clues about other serious disorders by evaluating the skin. So these people don't just do the "pretty," "itchy," and "funky" stuff.

Pulmonary-Sleep Medicine has become a big thing. And I've worked with a few really awesome nephrology people.

Neurology is interesting, but it too is a long road--and neurosurgery is bigger killer and a long road.

There is also more of a need in certain areas for more pediatric endocrinologists; although I am not sure these people get paid what they should.

I think you have to just rotate through the clinicals until you find out what puts the jelly in your jelly roll.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Without a doubt. I know her MCAT score and...unorthodox UG institution put her in a small population. She hasn't replied, for that very reason :)

:confused: Well, then you obviously know a heck of a lot more than we do about him, so why ask us? Unless you already know where he's going, and just want to mess with us? :(

Without a doubt. I know her MCAT score and...unorthodox UG institution put her in a small population. She hasn't replied, for that very reason :)

:confused: Well, then you obviously know a heck of a lot more than we do about him, so why ask us? Unless you already know where he's going, and just want to mess with us? :(

:confused: :p

It's a stressful time and exciting time.

Q has more important things to do with her time. I think she'll do great though. I always root for those who have given back a lot to others. :D

Back to ripping on or glorifying specialties!

vc7777 is being a smart a**. He knows very well that I'm a she. And all three of these wise guys know what specialty I applied in, so don't let their posturing fool you. :laugh:

Tomorrow is the big day, 12 noon. You know what's the pitts? My future program found out today at 2 PM that I had matched with them, but they're not allowed to tell me or contact me before 1 PM tomorrow. My school will find out tomorrow morning, but they're not allowed to tell me either. I'm the last one to know my own match. Sigh.

vc7777 is being a smart a**. He knows very well that I'm a she. And all three of these wise guys know what specialty I applied in, so don't let their posturing fool you. :laugh:

Tomorrow is the big day, 12 noon. You know what's the pitts? My future program found out today at 2 PM that I had matched with them, but they're not allowed to tell me or contact me before 1 PM tomorrow. My school will find out tomorrow morning, but they're not allowed to tell me either. I'm the last one to know my own match. Sigh.

What fun we have to look forward to. :)

Why did I think Q was a guy?

My posts just exude such raw masculinity. Even when I write them, sometimes I have to take breaks to beat my chest and give a primal scream.

All kidding aside, I don't know why, but it's very common for people to think I'm a guy. Maybe because of my chem PhD? Maybe because there are historically more guys than gals on the internet? Maybe because people tend to use male as the default when they don't know another user's gender? Maybe because vc7777 is telling them I'm male? So many possibilities to consider, so little time before I have to get ready for my match ceremony....

okokok...Q is a girl. I will stop the shenanigans (Happy St. Patty's Day!)...I've done it before, but nobody noticed...like, 3 or 4 times in the past year or two...my bad. :)

Good luck Q, see you on the flip side! :luck:

Last edited:
My posts just exude such raw masculinity. Even when I write them, sometimes I have to take breaks to beat my chest and give a primal scream.

Lol. I hate to think that I'm sexist...

No, that's why they think you're Asian...

...but am I racist to give this a :thumbup:? :lame:

Hope you got good news Q!!

Today is soo exciting. Just got a call from my best friend who matched her top choice! Wish I was there :(

Matched my top choice too. Spoke to the fellowship director. (I'm planning to stay for fellowship.) Time to bump up the nontrad match thread!

I don't think any of us doubted what that outcome would be. Many congrats. I will be avoiding public roads for fear of drunken MS4's this afternoon...

Matched my top choice too. Spoke to the fellowship director. (I'm planning to stay for fellowship.) Time to bump up the nontrad match thread!

Congrats Q!

I had to suffer through this whole matching process along with my friends so I'm just soo relieved this week. I was actually happier for them than I was for my own acceptance to med school! We were all so stressed it's ridiculous.

Enjoy the celebrations!! :)

:thumbup: My my, already worried about your fellowship, huh? :smuggrin:

:mad:

Wait, I'm asian and went to grad school for chem. DOH! :(
Hmmm...are you a dude too? Just asking.

My specialty of choice, that I know nothing about and have never shadowed, is ENT -- for the mix of medicine and really cool, intricate surgeries, and for their reputation as gentlemanly surgeons (seriously, awesome).

But the specialty I do know about, which is what inspired me to apply to med school in the first place, is EM. Shadowing was way more fun than partying, or playing videogames, or reading a book. Yeah, I am a nerd. But I am willing to put in 8 years of extremely hard work and sleeplessness to get that.

Edit: Congrats on matching your top, Q! That is seriously awesome!

Last edited:

who-is-awesome.jpg

My specialty of choice, that I know nothing about and have never shadowed, is ENT -- for the mix of medicine and really cool, intricate surgeries, and for their reputation as gentlemanly surgeons (seriously, awesome).

But the specialty I do know about, which is what inspired me to apply to med school in the first place, is EM. Shadowing was way more fun than partying, or playing videogames, or reading a book. Yeah, I am a nerd. But I am willing to put in 8 years of extremely hard work and sleeplessness to get that.

Edit: Congrats on matching your top, Q! That is seriously awesome!

ENT seems like a pretty cool specialty also. Good variety of procedures and has medical/surgical opportunities (I.e. there is no complementary medical specialty that deals with ENT patients, like there is for neuro surgery / neurology; ortho / pmr or sports med).

Having been a medic for >20 years, I kind of always just assumed that EM would be the logical place I'd end up. (Understanding that I may change my feeling as I gain greater exposure to other fields of medicine). So I voted EM.

Given the predominance of EM responses to the survey, I wonder how many of us non-trads are coming from an EMS or military background. I'm just hoping we're a biased pool, and I'm not entering med school just in time to see my probable specialty become the most competitive field out there. :smack:

Given the predominance of EM responses to the survey, I wonder how many of us non-trads are coming from an EMS or military background. I'm just hoping we're a biased pool, and I'm not entering med school just in time to see my probable specialty become the most competitive field out there. :smack:

My understanding is that two fields in particular have a disproportionate amount of interest for entering medical students -- surgery and EM. Then they get to 3rd and 4th year and hate them and change their minds! So the potential applicant pool has a lot of attrition to go through until 4th year and residency applications :)

My understanding is that two fields in particular have a disproportionate amount of interest for entering medical students -- surgery and EM. Then they get to 3rd and 4th year and hate them and change their minds! So the potential applicant pool has a lot of attrition to go through until 4th year and residency applications :)

I think a lot of people actually decide to go to
EM during med school bc of the lifestyle.

Our EM rotation here is like a vacation, 16 8 hour shifts in a month.

Started considering anesthesiology recently (~2 months or so) after an interview with an anesthesiologist back in Dec. Seems pretty interesting.

Plus after having 2 babies (both with epidurals), I have this view of anesthesiologists as angelic demigods that magically take away the sensation of being crushed to death with an ever-tightening steel band. So that would be cool too. I'd like to pass that on. :p

I like the cut of your jib, my friend.
Hmmm, if I didn't know better I'd say you wrote this while "full to the gunwales" (that is, three sheets to the wind, if you catch my drift).

I'd say you are copper-bottomed too. Shipshape and Bristol fashion, and so forth my friend. :smuggrin:

Yeah, alot of people say EM but change their minds once they get to the decision time.

That is why I am going to see what happens....

nobody can say for sure until you experience it and then I know several people that have changed residencies or done another one later on.

So, the constant is going to be change....