What Would You Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ddubz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’m facing a couple of choices, and I have a difficult time making big decisions without seeking counsel, so here goes…

SITUATION
I’ve been recently waitlisted at a DO school in my state.

I graduated in 2021 with a BA in Philosophy and did all my prerequisites.

My application is academically weak AF and I’m surprised I even got waitlisted. So, I’ve sought out means of improving my academic measures of the application (preparing for MCAT and planning for post baccalaureate courses).

I’m also an nontrad with two young kids and a wife that have to go wherever I go. I have minimal financial obligations other than a credit card balance from a surgery.

CONFOUNDING OPTIONS
1) Go to my previous university and take classes toward a second degree in Biomedical Science and retake the MCAT this fall and reapply to the school I was waitlisted at.

2) Go to a 2 year masters program in medical science at Indiana University PUI, which includes an intensive MCAT prep course that begins in June, research opportunities, community service, and an interview with IUSM program after performing well enough in the program. Apply to Med schools again after the first year.

So, what would you do if you were in my position?

Members don't see this ad.

Doing 1 year of classes at your previous university (or a public school near you) and retaking the MCAT would be more financially prudent. I would not apply until the following cycle once you have a year of new grades on your transcript. See Goro’s guide to reinvention: