POLL: What will you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What will you do?

• Go to the absolute cheapest school

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • only go to a "better" fit school that is 10k or less/ year

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • only go to a "better" fit school that is 10-20k more

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Will go to a better fit school that is 20-35k more

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Will go no matter the cost difference.

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

Infinitydrop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is mostly for people trying to make a decision between a state and private school or 2 schools with very different costs.

Please answer as realistically as possible. This for yourself, not advise for someone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless I really could not see myself at that school/think I would be truly unhappy there, the cheaper school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my interest lies in UAMS here in Arkansas. This is where I want to live, have always lived, and so it only makes sense to go here because A) it's here and B) it'd be cheaper.

If rejected by them and admitted to only one other program then that's where I'd go. If rejected by UAMS and admitted to several schools I'd likely pick the cheapest school in the best location, i.e. I'm not living in LA, NY, or anywhere like that.

Cheapest/instate because I live in CA and the medical schools here are amazing :p Of course, I will take Harvard over anything because that's been my dream school since I was a tiny kid.

IMO, Doctors are all known as doctors. Cheap...so long as they can prove their students actually pass the USMLE's.

If you want to enter an extremely competitive specialty
If you want to enter academic medicine

it may make sense to shell more money for a Top 20.

all else, go for the cheaper school.

IMO, Doctors are all known as doctors. Cheap...so long as they can prove their students actually pass the USMLE's.

While I agree with the bolded statement, 4 years is a long time to spend in a place you don't like. (If you found you don't like the med school/area after checking it out)