Poll: Would you use this Laminar flow hood?

Started by Old
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Old

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biological Safety Cabinet, vertical laminar flow hood, that is not vented to the outside of the building. Air goes through a Hepa filter and blows back into the IV room. Dept of Health(?) inspected it and said it is not safe and does not meet OSHA standards. Would you use it to mix Chemo drugs and feel safe doing so?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ummm.....no, I would not use, although I suspect a bunch of unsuspecting people would. I must admit, when I mixed chemo, I never checked on how the hoods were vented (although I know their certification was up to date.)--I just assumed they were vented correctly. Shame on the facility/pharmacy that would allow this.
 
Um, no.

Though having said that, everyone out there who mixes chemo should make sure they know how the hoods are being vented. Don't assume they are being vented correctly...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biological Safety Cabinet, vertical laminar flow hood, that is not vented to the outside of the building. Air goes through a Hepa filter and blows back into the IV room. Dept of Health(?) inspected it and said it is not safe and does not meet OSHA standards. Would you use it to mix Chemo drugs and feel safe doing so?

Do you work at a New England compounding center by any chance ?