Poor grades 1st sem. senior year - retake classes next semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitlmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my 1st semester of my senior year and have completed the primary, working on secondaries.

I have never had a C in college thus far and going into this semester I was sporting a middle-of-the-road 3.6 GPA, but this semester got a B- in genetics, a C+ in Inorganic Chemistry, and a C in biochem lab - I make no excuses but I had alot going on this semester and didn't manage my classes as well as I should have. (Learned a lesson from it though!)

My spring semester I have only 1 class I am required to take for my major and am actually looking for other classes to fill the space (though not too many since I plan to be traveling for itnerviews)

Is it worth the time and money to retake any of these classes? My schools policy is that if I take it again the grades will not average it will just be like I took another class that count toward my overall GPA.

Some advice here would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What? You're completing secondaries right now? If so, you have bigger problems than a few C's...

Members don't see this ad :)
What? You're completing secondaries right now? If so, you have bigger problems than a few C's...

:thumbup: OP just wasted a lot of money for no reason...

I just completed my 1st semester of my senior year and have completed the primary, working on secondaries.

I have never had a C in college thus far and going into this semester I was sporting a middle-of-the-road 3.6 GPA, but this semester got a B- in genetics, a C+ in Inorganic Chemistry, and a C in biochem lab - I make no excuses but I had alot going on this semester and didn't manage my classes as well as I should have. (Learned a lesson from it though!)

My spring semester I have only 1 class I am required to take for my major and am actually looking for other classes to fill the space (though not too many since I plan to be traveling for itnerviews)

Is it worth the time and money to retake any of these classes? My schools policy is that if I take it again the grades will not average it will just be like I took another class that count toward my overall GPA.

Some advice here would be greatly appreciated!

By submitting in December, the chances of you getting an interview are really small (<5% just to be optimistic).

thanks, but none of it answers my 1st question

Don't listen to the discouraging comments above. If I were you, I'd try to take additional upper-level science classes and try to do really well in them.

Perhaps take 3 additional science classes and excel in them, that should negate the C's that you got this semester. However, if you're applying right now, I'm not sure the adcoms will get a chance to see your spring grades until after you are admitted.

Good luck regardless

If u retake it, know that medical schools will still use the prior grade for medical school GPA...i wouldnt retake but do what the guy above said. take another upperdiv and try to improve ur GPA.

Don't listen to the discouraging comments above. If I were you, I'd try to take additional upper-level science classes and try to do really well in them.

Perhaps take 3 additional science classes and excel in them, that should negate the C's that you got this semester. However, if you're applying right now, I'm not sure the adcoms will get a chance to see your spring grades until after you are admitted.

Good luck regardless

Not a bad idea at all thank you!

If u retake it, know that medical schools will still use the prior grade for medical school GPA...i wouldnt retake but do what the guy above said. take another upperdiv and try to improve ur GPA.

I didn't know that but that's good to know that's what I'm going to do thanks

you applied to med school w/o inorganic chem and genetics?!

and you are sending in secondaries in the middle of December?!

...hope you have an astronomical (~46U) MCAT...

WRONG

the grades would be averaged together as if they were two separate classes

however i agree that you should take other upper division science classes. doing well on material you've already seen and studied is less impressive than acing a different but equally difficult course.

WRONG

the grades would be averaged together as if they were two separate classes

however i agree that you should take other upper division science classes. doing well on material you've already seen and studied is less impressive than acing a different but equally difficult course.

That seems to be the general consensus and best way to go all around I really appreciate the quick response it was alot of help thank you & the other 2 who helped.

--Hoping to hear how screwed I am just one more time!