Poor grades between acceptance and matriculation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daveyjwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do med schools view getting a poor grade or two in the term between when they accept you and when you matriculate at their school?

I'm wondering because in one of my 400 level science classes (out of 4 this term) this term, I am on course to get a C-, but I have been accepted to LECOM with an already low GPA (2.85). How will they view this? Can they withdraw their acceptance? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you call them and ask?

daveyjwin said:
How do med schools view getting a poor grade or two in the term between when they accept you and when you matriculate at their school?

I'm wondering because in one of my 400 level science classes (out of 4 this term) this term, I am on course to get a C-, but I have been accepted to LECOM with an already low GPA (2.85). How will they view this? Can they withdraw their acceptance? What should I do?

I really think they can only withdraw their acceptance if you earn a D or an F. This is at least what I've heard. It may be more strict at some schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recieved my matriculation agreement for AZCOM and it referenced that a C- is not acceptable. just my 2 cents

SarahJC said:
I just recieved my matriculation agreement for AZCOM and it referenced that a C- is not acceptable. just my 2 cents

What exactly to they consider a C-?

At my undergrad we had:

2.5 (C+)

and

2.0 (C)

Is a C- less than 70? If so, this would correlate with a D at another school.

For record, this is not in a med school required class, just a class for my major. Right now I am getting a low 2.0, and will need stellar performance on my final to maintain it. A 2.5 is possible, but not likely. If I had to put odds on a 2.0 vs a 1.5, I'd say 50-50.

Retaking the class is also not an option, as it is only offered Fall semester.

I got in before the 2nd semester (spring) strated, and I had listed a bunch of classes I was gonna take during Spring. Since I would have my degree and completed my bachelors without that semester, i went ahead and dropped all the classes and took the semester off once I got in. They really don't care what happened last semester SO LONG AS YOU GET YOUR DEGREE AND PASS YOUR PREREQS. They are not accepting you on the condition that you get x.xx GPA during your last semester. They really don't care so long as you meet the 2 criteria.

just study and rock the final... then you don't have to worry about 1.5 or 2.0 etc.

DODO said:
just study and rock the final... then you don't have to worry about 1.5 or 2.0 etc.

If only it were that easy.

This class very well may determine the rest of my life. If I don't get a 2.0, I may not graduate. If I don't graduate, I dont' get into med school (they don't take people without their BS, even if they are one class short, right?). If I don't get into med school, I'll go be a bum.

Therefor, life ruined.

Seriously though, I am going to talk to my teacher on Monday and ask her what is necessary, and I am going to talk to my advisor, and see if I need a 1.0 or a 2.0 to get my degree, and I am going to call LECOM and ask them what they would think.

sorry I wasn't trying to down play the importance of your situation. But obviously you have what it takes to get into med school and be successful in school. So now you will just have to hunker down with a pot of coffee and just study your arsss off and do your best on that test. Believe me I have been in your situation and you just have to not worry about the what if's and just do what you got to do to pass (which is study hard and rock the final). You can do it. Good luck.