1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Poor grades between acceptance and matriculation.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by daveyjwin, Dec 4, 2005.

1. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How do med schools view getting a poor grade or two in the term between when they accept you and when you matriculate at their school?

I'm wondering because in one of my 400 level science classes (out of 4 this term) this term, I am on course to get a C-, but I have been accepted to LECOM with an already low GPA (2.85). How will they view this? Can they withdraw their acceptance? What should I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Static Line

Static Line America's Guard of Honor
    5+ Year Member

Why don't you call them and ask?

4. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    I really think they can only withdraw their acceptance if you earn a D or an F. This is at least what I've heard. It may be more strict at some schools.

5. SarahJC

SarahJC Member
    5+ Year Member

I just recieved my matriculation agreement for AZCOM and it referenced that a C- is not acceptable. just my 2 cents

6. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    What exactly to they consider a C-?

At my undergrad we had:

2.5 (C+)

and

2.0 (C)

Is a C- less than 70? If so, this would correlate with a D at another school.

7. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For record, this is not in a med school required class, just a class for my major. Right now I am getting a low 2.0, and will need stellar performance on my final to maintain it. A 2.5 is possible, but not likely. If I had to put odds on a 2.0 vs a 1.5, I'd say 50-50.

Retaking the class is also not an option, as it is only offered Fall semester.

8. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

I got in before the 2nd semester (spring) strated, and I had listed a bunch of classes I was gonna take during Spring. Since I would have my degree and completed my bachelors without that semester, i went ahead and dropped all the classes and took the semester off once I got in. They really don't care what happened last semester SO LONG AS YOU GET YOUR DEGREE AND PASS YOUR PREREQS. They are not accepting you on the condition that you get x.xx GPA during your last semester. They really don't care so long as you meet the 2 criteria.

9. DODO

DODO Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

just study and rock the final... then you don't have to worry about 1.5 or 2.0 etc.

10. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If only it were that easy.

This class very well may determine the rest of my life. If I don't get a 2.0, I may not graduate. If I don't graduate, I dont' get into med school (they don't take people without their BS, even if they are one class short, right?). If I don't get into med school, I'll go be a bum.

Therefor, life ruined.

Seriously though, I am going to talk to my teacher on Monday and ask her what is necessary, and I am going to talk to my advisor, and see if I need a 1.0 or a 2.0 to get my degree, and I am going to call LECOM and ask them what they would think.

11. DODO

DODO Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

sorry I wasn't trying to down play the importance of your situation. But obviously you have what it takes to get into med school and be successful in school. So now you will just have to hunker down with a pot of coffee and just study your arsss off and do your best on that test. Believe me I have been in your situation and you just have to not worry about the what if's and just do what you got to do to pass (which is study hard and rock the final). You can do it. Good luck.