Poor mcat... options!!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woweebud

Reaction score
hello all

I graduated in 2017 with a 3.62 GPA (started poorly, last two years were 4.0), URM, Excellent LORs (not that I read them but they are from well respected people), excellent ECs...

I took the MCAT in January and I know I was doing poorly throughout the exam, but didn’t void it at the end. Got bad results, obviously. I realize this is a huge lapse in judgment and that I should’ve done more research about what it means to void an exam prior to taking the MCAT. I know I can and will do better on my next MCAT. Is this pretty much the end for me as far as MDs? What are some things I can do to recover from this, aside from performing well on my next MCAT? Also, how do I talk about this should it arise in any interview? Thank anyone for help in this I’m pretty much in panic mode!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter your starting #. Your final # matters. 480 and then 515 = ACCEPTANCE.

Just say you had a bad test day and you proved your academic and test taking skill on your second take.

For schools that weigh both attempts (the majority), one would still be sitting at a 497.5 avg (in this example)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, how do I talk about this should it arise in any interview? Thank anyone for help in this I’m pretty much in panic mode!
Take it again, ace it.

In your secondaries, address it.

If asked in your interviews, address it succinctly.

Don't apply with a bad score and don't retake until you're positive you can get a good score... :) you can do this!

I would say that your "the majority" is inaccurate

Agreed. I spoke with many MD adcoms that told me “Take it as many times as you need to crack ___ score. And you should be an excellent candidate.”

I scored AWFUL on my first attempt and I wasn’t asked about it in my interview. It helped that I explained it well in my secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
Which schools weigh the average MCAT? I never heard of that before.
I've heard through the grapevine that someone at Jefferson told students that they along with about 1/3 of programs do this. Not sure about how accurate the 1/3 is but just something to keep in mind.
Point being, starting number will matter for those schools and many other schools look down on 3+ attempts so take your time and retake when you know you'll be able to crush it!

Reactions: 1 user
For schools that weigh both attempts (the majority), one would still be sitting at a 497.5 avg (in this example)
Agreed. I spoke with many MD adcoms that told me “Take it as many times as you need to crack ___ score. And you should be an excellent candidate.”

I scored AWFUL on my first attempt and I wasn’t asked about it in my interview. It helped that I explained it well in my secondaries.
I've heard through the grapevine that someone at Jefferson told students that they along with about 1/3 of programs do this. Not sure about how accurate the 1/3 is but just something to keep in mind.
Point being, starting number will matter for those schools and many other schools look down on 3+ attempts so take your time and retake when you know you'll be able to crush it!

I need to point out that no one knows how schools evaluate multiple MCAT scores for determining who gets interviews and acceptances. The school's stated policy could refer to reporting their median MCAT scores for entering matriculants. This was discussed extensively in the past by adcoms such as @gyngyn , so your best bet for a conservative estimate is to follow the AAMC suggestion of averaging your scores and applying accordingly. Also consider posting a WAMC? thread for a more specific input.

Reactions: 1 users
hello all

I graduated in 2017 with a 3.62 GPA (started poorly, last two years were 4.0), URM, Excellent LORs (not that I read them but they are from well respected people), excellent ECs...

I took the MCAT in January and I know I was doing poorly throughout the exam, but didn’t void it at the end. Got bad results, obviously. I realize this is a huge lapse in judgment and that I should’ve done more research about what it means to void an exam prior to taking the MCAT. I know I can and will do better on my next MCAT. Is this pretty much the end for me as far as MDs? What are some things I can do to recover from this, aside from performing well on my next MCAT? Also, how do I talk about this should it arise in any interview? Thank anyone for help in this I’m pretty much in panic mode!

What was the score? It may be good enough as it is. If it's not, it's still not the end for you for MD schools.

you're URM. You're fine as long as you get over a 472

This isn't helpful, constructive or accurate.

Reactions: 1 users