pop quizzes????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcfly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello out there. i was wondering if any of you were subject to "pop quizzes". along with exams every week, we get these little surprises as well. a faculty member told me they had never seen a med school that did not have these. i dont beleive it so though i +pissed+ would ask around. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No pop quizzes here.

our school gives us a syllabus ahead of time with test dates and what % of the total grade they constitute. So pop quizzes aren't even possible.

My school rotates through pop quizzes every couple of years depending on how the previous year's class did on the Step 1. Recently the class before me decided to tank the step as best they could so my class and the one after us had to start taking pop quizzes. Of course, my class ended up doing really well on the boards, and the administration was rather quick to let us all know that it was due to the implementation of pop quizzes. Yeah, right. :mad:

Quizzes yes, but not pop quizzes. They still suck though, but it does force you to study.

no pop quizzes, Thank God

no pop quizzes for us either. Attendance is strictly optional and there would be widespread revolt if it were otherwise.

MeowMix said:
no pop quizzes for us either. Attendance is strictly optional and there would be widespread revolt if it were otherwise.

I second that one. No pop quizzes here!

I go to the same school as Stinger86 so we have pop quizzes. They eased up on the pop quiz policy a little bit this year by allowing us to take them on WebCT within an allotted time period after they are announced. I just don't see how they think the pop quizzes (or lack of syllabi) helped bring up the Step 1 scores. The point is that the class before Stinger had one of the lowest MCAT averages in years, and his class has one of the higher averages (still below the National average though) and ended up with a lot of people with 250+ on the boards.

Maybe if my class does well on the boards they will get rid of pop quizzes for next year.

mcfly said:
hello out there. i was wondering if any of you were subject to "pop quizzes". along with exams every week, we get these little surprises as well. a faculty member told me they had never seen a med school that did not have these. i dont beleive it so though i +pissed+ would ask around. :smuggrin:

Yup, but I love them. They count as extra-credit.. just to make sure you come to class and were paying attention. Plus, they're great practice for the tests.