portable gps units?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxbox

CSU PVM Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok... so here is another not really, ok not at all, related to vet school posts...

my mother is being very persistant that I get a portable gps for my upcoming x-country trek (even though I am 27 and will be following 2 roads only... I90 and then I80) so I agreed as long as she pays :)

My question... do any of you guys have a gps unit and would either recommend or not recommend? I am looking for one under $300... I had rented a car a few months back and got a Magellan something or other and I thought that one was pretty accurate, but for the life of me cannot remember the model number...

also, I am not sure quite how they work... do you just buy the unit and it is fully functional with no additional subscriptions (i do know that many have a subscription fee for stuff like traffic and things)? can you update the maps for free?

I have looked online (OK, not super extensively) and have not really found straight forward answers about that.. so if you guys have first hand knowledge that would be fantastic!!

Thanks for any info :)

Members don't see this ad.

ok... so here is another not really, ok not at all, related to vet school posts...

my mother is being very persistant that I get a portable gps for my upcoming x-country trek (even though I am 27 and will be following 2 roads only... I90 and then I80) so I agreed as long as she pays :)

My question... do any of you guys have a gps unit and would either recommend or not recommend? I am looking for one under $300... I had rented a car a few months back and got a Magellan something or other and I thought that one was pretty accurate, but for the life of me cannot remember the model number...

also, I am not sure quite how they work... do you just buy the unit and it is fully functional with no additional subscriptions (i do know that many have a subscription fee for stuff like traffic and things)? can you update the maps for free?

I have looked online (OK, not super extensively) and have not really found straight forward answers about that.. so if you guys have first hand knowledge that would be fantastic!!

Thanks for any info :)

My parents have a Garmin that cost around 330 (I know thats a little more than you want to pay). The only service cost is one you can pay to get traffic updates nad they give you 3 months free. It has been fairly reliable and my dad loves it. You update by going on the web w/ your computer (via USB). So again, you only really pay for the product. Good luck finding one.

My husband and I have a Tomtom. I'm not sure what model it is but it was one of the less expensive models. I think that at Best Buy it is now around $300. Anyway we LOVE it. It is very easy to use and has been very accurate. The only time we have had any trouble with it was in downtown Chicago. It seems that being in between all of the tall buildings messed up the signal at certain points.

You'll be surprised at how much you'll use a portable GPS once you have it. Even for somewhat local trips it is so easy - no worrying about directions and getting lost.

My suggestion is to go to Best Buy or another big electronic store and try the displays out to see what format you like best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you want to spend a little more, my hubby recommends the garmin gpsmap 60CSX.

It's one of the most popular hand-held mapping units out there right now. He is pretty picky, and uses this for our biking routes. It has ultra-sensitivite receiver hardware, so can pick up really weak signals and you can download way points to it. We also geocache, so that's what we use it for. It will do turn by turn directions, but not with a voice, just beeps.

It is a little pricey--$360, without the mapping software. That will run another $100. However, if you only plan to use this for your car, then you can probably find less expensive units to do what you need. Garmin is typically pretty good. Their tech support is top notch.

I have a TomTom. A year later my dad got a Garmin Nuvi. I go back and forth about which one I like better. My menus are more straightforward and easier to navigate, but his is smaller and you can search for things like restaurants by name and zip code. (With mine you can just see what is nearby.) The maps in both of them a pretty accurate, but neither is 100%. PM me if you have any questions about comparing them and I'll try to answer.

Haha, sounds like I am making the same trip from MA! Your not going to Iowa by any chance are you?

Funny, my endearing aunt insisted that I get a GPS as well! A Garmin Nuvi is on its way to my house as I speak! She has one, really likes it.

-V

Haha, sounds like I am making the same trip from MA! Your not going to Iowa by any chance are you?

Funny, my endearing aunt insisted that I get a GPS as well! A Garmin Nuvi is on its way to my house as I speak! She has one, really likes it.

-V

nope not Iowa... though I will be driving through that lovely state on my way to Colorado :)

Safe travels!!

Heh. There's a way cheaper option... If you're a AAA member, go to the local office and tell them your route. They'll put together a custom "trip-tik" map of your entire route (maybe 50 miles per page, marked with all the hotels, gas stations, and restaurants off each exit). Free. Plus you can get (also free) tour books for every state you'll be going through. I went from NJ to CA (including where I-80 goes through downtown Chicago, yikes) with no navigational difficulties. You need to give them a couple weeks' notice to make the map, I think.

Oh, and if you're not a AAA member, become one before you leave. Truly. Blown distributor in the middle of Wyoming, smack in between (and therefore 50 miles away from either of) the two cities in the state that have a Honda dealership. So join AAA, and make sure you have a car charger for your cell phone.