Portfolio or purse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyklm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for the women--do you recommend bringing a portfolio, purse, or both?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jenny, I've got 4 interviews down, every woman I saw had a purse, I carried a purse and portfolio :)

First Aid for the Match says women should avoid purses. But it also said that women should wear skirt suits instead of pants suits, so screw 'em. I have this cool laptop bag that looks like a purse, and it has pockets to put folders and papers as well. I saw a resident with a similar bag when I interviewed on Monday.

I brought a small purse and a portfolio. You don't want keys, wallet, etc bulging in your pant pockets. I have seen a lot of females bring a purse or a bag. I honestly don't think prorams care. :)

Hurricane said:
First Aid for the Match says women should avoid purses. But it also said that women should wear skirt suits instead of pants suits, so screw 'em. I have this cool laptop bag that looks like a purse, and it has pockets to put folders and papers as well. I saw a resident with a similar bag when I interviewed on Monday.

Nice bag hurricane! My (fake) coach bag is about that size so I can stuff all my things in there - works great doesn't it?

And I agree with ER above, I really don't think anyone cares what you bring with you - I've had to bring my suiter to some interviews since I was catching a plane after the interview and no one cared. :)

Unless the bag is streamlined, black, and looks like a portfolio, I say just carry a portfolio. I have been on 7 interviews, and 75% of the girls only carried portfolios. (I'm a girl, by the way!) I think it looks way more professional, and you can fit your ID, keys and compact in it. I think that big clunky bags definitely interrupt the clean lines of a suit and can make a girl look more harried and high-maintenance.

Seems stupid, but I definitely think it's all in the details.

It may also depend on your specialty. I'm applying to psych, which is a non-white coat specialty, so many of the female residents carry bags themselves, to compensate for the lack of multiple pockets.

Last month I was on peds neuro, and they didn't wear white coats either. So all of the guys had a "man-purse" to carry their instruments in. Kinda funny. I kept flashing back to Joey on Friends: "It's not a purse - It's European!" :laugh:

MANBAGS HAHAHAHA were they kind that goes around the waist? OH those are SO BAD!!!! Especially when you see a hot nurse/doc with one on I'm like WHAT R U THINKIN BOY?

I carry my purse, but its a fake coach thats kind of square looking, I don't have one of those really colorful ones either, it complements my suit in that its black/gray and very low key - I think Bob is definitely right in the sense that carrying a big crazy looking bag would just be weird with the suit.

Just love hte word "harried" bob!!! :laugh:

i also debated between carrying a portfolio and a bag. i've been to two interviews so far and most of the women carried some type of bag. i myself carry a black coach bag (real though...i hate fakes) which looks nice with my suit, but is just a tiny bit too small to fit a folder. oh well. they usually have all the documents they need anyhow.

I can't afford a real one <sigh>

Bob Loblaw said:
Unless the bag is streamlined, black, and looks like a portfolio, I say just carry a portfolio. I have been on 7 interviews, and 75% of the girls only carried portfolios. (I'm a girl, by the way!) I think it looks way more professional, and you can fit your ID, keys and compact in it. I think that big clunky bags definitely interrupt the clean lines of a suit and can make a girl look more harried and high-maintenance.

Seems stupid, but I definitely think it's all in the details.

I tend to agree. Searching for something in a bag tends to make you look flustered. If all you have on you is a portfolio, you can't help but look sophisticated ;)

I'm going to use a portfolio. Unfortunately, I haven't bought one yet... anyone have suggestions on where to go?

(And even though I don't like skirt suits, I bought one for these interviews :p)

CityIvy said:
i myself carry a black coach bag (real though...i hate fakes)

Sorry, but this makes you sound like an ass. I hope you don't make comments like this in public.

I carry a black, structured, streamlined leather work tote. Most other applicants I've seen also carry purses. I would stay away from unstructured, "trendy" looking purses and invest in a professional looking tote large enough to put a folder in.

robotsonic said:
I'm going to use a portfolio. Unfortunately, I haven't bought one yet... anyone have suggestions on where to go?

They have some here. I got my bag and some other stuff from this site, and was happy with them.

Oh, and one other benefit of my bag I forgot to mention: I plan on taking my little powerbook with me when I travel, and if I have to fly out right after the interview, I don't really want to leave it sitting in some program secretary's office with my luggage in a laptop case that screams "steal me, I contain a laptop." So I can stick it in my purse/bag thingy and not have to worry about it.

jennyklm said:
This is for the women--do you recommend bringing a portfolio, purse, or both?

More than 10 posts on this in a single day? From the other side of the interview desk, I don't know that I would notice. Maybe you are overthinking this?

BKN ;)

Take it from the PD. I dont think that matters at all. They want to see that you are a good person, are trainable, and wont be a huge pain in the rear.

BKN are you a female?

Poety said:
BKN are you a female?

No.

Feel free to ignore me on this. I understand the pressure you all feel with this expensive, time consuming task for the next three months. I know you each want it to be perfect. The good news is that most of you will get exactly what you want.

:D

I think if you show up dressed neatly, most interviews will go on to substance. Scrubs, blue jeans, love beads probably a bad idea (except in S.F.) :)

BKN said:
No.

Feel free to ignore me on this. I understand the pressure you all feel with this expensive, time consuming task for the next three months. I know you each want it to be perfect. The good news is that most of you will get exactly what you want.

:D

I think if you show up dressed neatly, most interviews will go on to substance. Scrubs, blue jeans, love beads probably a bad idea (except in S.F.) :)

Thanks :) And I think some of us may not stressing about the purse vs portfolio thing as much as relishing the opportunity to buy a new accessory!

Now, I must go shopping for love beads for my upcoming interview in SF ;)